+-

Author Topic: Help--searching for my options!  (Read 1396 times)

bkcamp

Help--searching for my options!
« on: May 05, 2009, 01:49:06 PM »
I'm a 59 year old woman who was just turned down for HR by a local Denver surgeon due to my age.  Unfortunately my U.S. surgeon choices are extremely limited because of my Kaiser HMO.  I'm hoping that your valuable information can help me determine if I really have the option to have HR in the U.S.  Two questions: (1) does anyone have experience with Kaiser Permanente Dr. Raphael Klug in California? and (2) Would women over 55 who've had HR please tell me where they've gone, either within or out of this country (I have read Pat's poll, but would like to hear from those who didn't respond to the poll).  My sincere thanks to all who respond!  Barb

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Help--searching for my options!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:36:26 PM »
Hi

Only a few US surgoens will probably consider giving you a resurfacing if you are a good candidate.  The US surgeons just don't like doing women over 50.

Dr. Klug might.  I don't know too much about him, but it is worth a try.

You can get free consultations from Dr. Gross of SC, Dr. Mont of MD and Dr. Su of NY if you send them emails with your x-rays attached.  Of course, the overseas surgeons like Dr. De Smet and Dr. Bose will also give you free consultations.

Dr. Amstutz of CA will often do older women if they are candidates.  Dr. Ure of CA might.   Dr. Rogers on WI might.

You will have to do some searching.

I was 61 and went to Dr. De Smet in Belgium since I was older, wanted an expeirnced surgeon and did not have insurance.  The overseas surgeons are more likely to do older women because they are so much more expeirnced. De Smet has done way over 3000 resurfacings.

It is not want you want to hear - but it is the trend in the US to not do older women over 50.  It will take some effort on your part to find a surgeon that will do it for you.  I can't help about the insurance part of your problem since I never had any.

You can go to Dr. Bose of India for $10,000  give or take  bit which would include everyting from travel, medical expense and housing.  It is the best deal if you have to pay out of your pocket.  Also Dr. Bose is excellent and there are many, many happy Dr. Bose patients.

Remember, a MOM THR is not a bad solution if you can't get a resurfaicng.  Most people with MOM THRs can be just as active as resurfacing patients.  The only problem is that they cut off a large part of your femur bone to place the THR.  Just make sure you get at least a MOM THR if you have to go that route.  Don't let them give you a small ball  metal/plastic THR like they give old people.  Those can often dislocate easily and you can't do all types of sports with them.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tarhoo2

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 11:43:13 PM »
It's also probably important to add, despite the fact that we all believe that resurfacing is preferable, that THR is no more invasive (in some instances, less) than resurfacing nor is the recuperation any more difficult.  If THR is the route you have to go, all things considered, then it's still better than dealing with the pain you've been experiencing.

Best of luck!

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 01:24:04 AM »
I totally agree with everyone on this one, I would not worry about a THR if you had to get one, they are much better now if you go with a MOM THR, the heads are larger, you do not have to worry about about it wearing out early on.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Debbie

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 03:08:03 AM »
Sharp Rees-Steely hospital in San Diego said they do not do resurfacings on women, period.  I am 38 and have been told by several doctors that I am an ideal candidate with good bone structure, but that is their policy.  I guess the risk is perceived to be too high due to the size of womens' bones and "predisposition" to osterporitis (spelling?).  I am 5'9" and weigh 155 which is about the size of many men these days.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 03:17:06 AM »
Debbie

You still need to talk to some of the really experinced hip resurfacing surgeons.  They do women all the time.  Less expeirnced surgeons don't like to do women over 50, but there are still many of us that have had sucessful resurfacings.

You can't listen to surgeons that are not experineced and don't do resurfacing.  They simply are not informed about resurfacing.

I was 61 when I had my resurfacing and I know of many older women that had resurfacing. 

I hope you won't let these surgeons who seem to know nothing about resurfacing decide your fate. 

There are many Doctors in CA if you look at my list - Dr. Amstutz, Dr. Schmalzried, Dr. Ure - to name a few. http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

If you read some of the medical studies they show large women have the same outcomes as men as far as sucessful resurfacings.  There is no difference.  It is the very small women that sometimes have problems.

I was 5' 8" and had my resurfacing at 61 years old.  I also know of many smaller women with sucessful resurfacings.  The surgeon needs to be expeirnced and use the right resurfacing device for your size.  Dr. Bose of India often uses the ASR for smaller women.  Some surgeons use the Wright C+ for smaller women.  Remember that although the BHR is the most used device, there are others that work for smaller people.

You are very young to consider having a THR.  I hope you will do more research and continue to try to find some experineced surgeons to help you out and give you good advice.

Pat
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 03:20:06 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats