+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Newbie... Post 1!!  (Read 18411 times)

UPwingnut

Newbie... Post 1!!
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:37:09 AM »
I'm a 49 year old Michigan boy who has beat up my body playing some football, but mainly hockey. I've skated as long as I can remember. Had a right knee problem, and a couple of surgeries later, I was bone on bone. For some reason Synvisc worked, and still is working. Needless to say, I was suddenly acutely aware of left hip pain. I still play and officiate hockey. I did stop playing in January of last season because I couldn't handle the morning after anymore. Anyway, I'm headed to surgery on Monday at Bellin, in Green Bay, WI. I am very encouraged by what I have read, and have continued to exercise prior to surgery (even though it's killin' me) because I believe it'll help me get on my feet quicker. Any advice that any of you folks would have on the early "days after" would be appreciated. Be honest, because I'm assuming it'll be tough early on, but I'm ready to do it.
May 11, 2009; Dr. Michael Tressler; Green Bay, WI

J B

Re: Newbie... Post 1!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 03:57:22 PM »
One thing I was not prepared for , was how uncomfortable the drive home was. I was about a two hour trip from hospital to home and sure wished that I was in a bit of a more luxury car or had prepared a lot more pillows and comforters to absorb the bumps in the road. Every shock from a rutted hi-way I felt big time. For me, the first week home was miserable with lots of ice to combat the swelling. Not much sleep either as I was never comfortable and lets not kid ourselves about the pain. I also was slightly depressed at times, you can feel kind of isolated. Having said all that, my one year anniversary was on May 7th and I feel so much better it is remarkable. It was just a slow process and having never had any major surgery, I was looking to have one of those 2 month recoveries, which didn't happen. It was just slow progress toward normality. I hope you have a patient wife ( I am lucky to have one) as it takes quite a bit of extra help to do even the most mundane of things. Let her help, even though us guys seem to have a problem with those sorts of things. Good luck on your road to your old active life. You will be back on the ice before you know it. John

UPwingnut

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 06:45:14 PM »
John:
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. I didn't know quite what to expect, but I do have an understanding wife, and I'll do my best to let her help!! :) It's really good to hear that over the long haul, things are going well. I too am hoping for a quick recovery, but want to be ready for a longer haul. Thanks again, Joe

Todd

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 07:39:07 PM »
Joe,

I can't say enough about icing aggressively.  My recovery on the second hip is going much better than the first due to the fact that I've kept swelling down considerably.  I've got at least a dozen soft ice packs in the freezer which I rotate throughout the day.  Time is the biggest factor in healing I think.  Don't be in a hurry to get back to 100%.  You will end up being disappointed and shooting for a goal that isn't attainable.  Instead I would suggest looking at improvements from week to week in your ROM, strength, and reduced pain. Good luck in your recovery.  There are a great deal of insights you can get from people who have been through surgery, and you will find your way. 
Todd
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

Tarhoo2

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 01:00:44 AM »
Joe,

I am 49 as well and had BHR #1 12/07 and #2 4/08.  My experience with both my BHR's was that the pain was very manageable.  My first went smoothly enough that I actually looked forward to the second and the relief from the bone-on-bone pain. The worst for me was the throbbing from swelling, not really pain from the incisions, etc.  I learned the first go-round that ice and elevation are very important.  Initially, the lack of stability and limited range of motion (90-degree restriction, etc.) are real challenges.  Although I prefer not to sleep on my back, I was able to get reasonably comfortable with one pillow under my knees and another between them.  Progress will seem extremely slow at times, but be patient and don't be reluctant to take your pain medications as recommended.  Walk, with crutch or cane, as much as possible, be diligent about your physical therapy and, again, ice and elevation.  I found it useful to have four re-freezeable ice packs available, which I used two at a time.  Best of luck.

Jim

UPwingnut

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 12:17:09 PM »
Again, I really appreciate the insights!!! I AM one to set unattainable goals. I won't shy away from the PT, but I really didn't think about having a lot of ice packs available. We're picking some up on the way out of town today. From what everyone has said, it sounds like keeping the swelling down is huge!! In a lot of ways I'm excited (not sure if that's the most appropriate word) to be getting this done, just because the day to day grind (literally) and medications, are wearing me out. I am now more prepped for the ride home, and we will definitely be scamming some more ice packs. When you were released, were you guys taking just pain meds or were anti-inflammatories prescribed as well? I still have a script for Voltaren (which I obviously have not been taking for the last week) and am wondering if that will be part of the regimen. I didn't really think it was doing much, until I had to stop it this week. Real eye opener!! Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it!! Heading to Green Bay tonight, with surgery tomorrow.
Joe

Tarhoo2

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 06:22:44 PM »
I went from Diclofenac to Voltaren about two weeks before my first surgery and was completely off the anti-inflammatories after that; only Vicadin after they took me off the drip early the second day.  For the most part, I did not use alot of Vicadin after I returned home, except before PT (ice after!) and to help me get comfortable at night.

I think chances are extremely good that you'll be very happy with the results.  Just be patient with your recovery; there will be days when you can't believe how slow things seem to be progressing.  I had to remind myself that I didn't want to screw up the good work my doctor had done and just savor moving around without pain.

Let us know how things go.  We'll see you "on the other side."

Jim

UPwingnut

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 10:21:29 AM »
surgery on monday. home last night. up every 4 hours or so. lots of exercises. plenty of pain to go around, but managing it. used my ice man cooler on the way home. stopped and moved around every hour. am walking with crutches and frankly, feel really good about where i'm at right now. my wife has been awesome and i'm doing erverything you folks talked about. doc said the hip was bad, but he was able to do resurfacing. will check in for suggestions, and will update, but as you guys know, sitting at a computer right now, is not the most fun thingto do. thanks so much, for all of the help so far. it really made a difference and i really appreciate it.

UPwingnut

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 10:22:52 AM »
oh, second follow up. no voltaren right now as i have luvinox on board for 20 days. don't want to thin the blood too much.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 07:05:53 AM »
Hi Joe

Congratulations on the new hip. It is more difficult to sit at the computer early on.

Take it easy and listen to your body.  If you are too active and you hurt, back off.  You will be surprised how quickly you will start to recover - normally.

Just wanted to wish you Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

UPwingnut

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 10:37:39 AM »
Pat:
Thanks, I keep trying to do that, and keep trying to measure success in small steps as everyone has suggested. As we all know, the theory is easier than the moment to moment, but I really do believe things are coming together slowly, and when things get down, I come on here and read the success stories, and keep rolling. I appreciate this site a lot.
Joe

Tarhoo2

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 01:27:07 PM »
Joe,

Cangratulations and welcome to the "other side."  I meant to mention earlier that I found a wedge-shaped seat cushion I bought at The Healthy Back Store very helpful -- both in terms of comfort and in helping me adhere to the <90-degree restriction -- for sitting at the computer and in straight-backed chairs.  Knowing that I would be going through the surgery twice, I also bit the bullet and bought an Aeron office chair, which was very comfortable to sit in for extended periods of being upright.

Hope your recovery is going well!

Jim

UPwingnut

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 09:02:15 AM »
Jim:
Thanks, I really can't complain about recovery at all. It's going way better than I expected. Thanks for the chair info. I definitely will need to look into something better, especially for work. I had a "low rider" at work, that wouldn't stay adjusted up. Nasty!!! I looked up the chair and it looks pretty cool. I'll have to check on the wedge. All in all, things are going well.
Thanks,
Joe

UPwingnut

just an update for a former newbie!!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 09:21:15 AM »
Hey gang,
What's up?? I am 2 1/2 weeks in. Saw my doctor a couple days ago. Pulled my staples. He had me walk up and down the hall for his staff, because it's still amazing to him that a surface hippy can be moving around like this without crutches, so soon. I told him while he had his staff gathered, I could do some other tricks too, but he declined. All in all, I'm incredibly happy to date. Went for a walk with my wife again last night. She says it's amazing, but she also says to point out to folks that my karma and attitude have been very positive and success focused, from day one. Well, I hadn't thought about it, but this site has been huge in getting rid of some fears. Okay, so I'm pretty happy. Let's get down and dirty. What can and can't I do at this point...
I drove yesterday. It was actually easier getting in the driver's side and it's my left hip so... I don't use crutches. I do go for walks. I don't take my German Shepherds. I still use a reacher gadget. My wife still partially helps with showers and shoe tying. I slept on my right side last night with pillow. Tonight since it's Friday, I'm going to try moving out of the guest bedroom (easier bed) and back to my bed. We're doing it on a Friday in case I wake up the household. I hate sleeping on my back and have NOT slept well and finally brought a sleeper on board last night. I am squirming sitting in this chair to write this, even though my angles are good. I stood up twice so far. I am doing PT religiously and where I can't do an exercise, I don't lay there and struggle. I use an assist like a belt, to get my body used to doing it, and it works. I pretty much still do steps one at a time, but I've alternated some. As recommended by some new friends on this site, I also ice religiously. My ice man cooler has been a godsend. And, I still use and need a high riser toilet.
So, all in all doing well. Nowhere near the finish line but every day is good!!! My surgery day was 5/11/09. I am STILL petrified of screwing up the works, because my x-rays looked awesome and everything is rolling. Being in that state hasn't been bad. It has just continued to make me think before I leap.
Thanks again for everyone's input.
Take care,
Joe

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 10:14:10 AM »
Hi Joe

Thanks for the great report.  It really helps other people considering surgery.

Glad to hear things are going well for you and each day is getting better.  That's the way it should be and is for most people.

Keep up the good work.

I might have just missed the info in your posts, but don't recall you ever giving your surgeon credit for the great job he/she did for you.  Let everyone know who you used.  That is the way people learn about the surgeons and how their patients recover after surgery.  If I missed it, I apologize.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

UPwingnut

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 01:08:46 PM »
No problem, sorry I missed that. It was Dr. Tressler out of Green Bay Ortho, in Green Bay, WI. He's an awesome, very caring surgeon. He previously cleaned up my right knee, and introduced me to Synvisc which fortunately worked well for me. Here's their web site link.

http://www.gbortho.com/

ShantyO

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 03:49:19 PM »
Hello Sports Fans,

Just had BHR on right hip here in So-Cal last Tuesday the 16th of June.  Still in Percocet Land which I don't mind all that much espcially when washed down with a Tall Boy.

I'm 51 and looking forward to getting back on the Long Board and eventually recreational hockey at a decent level.

My question is do we know of any professional hockey players that have had this procedure and returned to hockey?

Getting around on crutches and doing my PT.  Doctors name is Kimball here in La Jolla, CA.

Robert O'Donnell

UPwingnut

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 10:46:12 PM »
Tim Taylor with the Tampa Bay Lightning had it done. He chose not to play further with the team, but I had an article telling how often he was exercising. I'll be darned if I can find it. He DID go back to skating, and Torterella (coach at that time) offered to let him play another game, but he chose not to. Here's a similar article to what I'm talking about.

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/01/07/Lightning/No_pain_but_still_a_l.shtml

I am at just under 8 weeks and my recovery has been awesome. I'm walking my regular route with my German Shepherd, I've been out on the golf course doing pretty much everything but driving (too much torque). I'm chomping at the bit to just try striding forward on skates at a public skating session, and want to get on the bike too, but I see my doc tomorrow, so I'll see where that goes. I have been told that my playing and officiating hockey may be aiding in my recovery. It's funny because there are still things I don't do real well. I carefully tie my left shoe (had left hip done) and of course there are movements I don't even bother trying because it's WAY too early, but I'm absolutely elated so far. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal