+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: THR at 37  (Read 4172 times)

luluhalls

THR at 37
« on: May 10, 2009, 09:05:29 AM »
Hi,
I might be at the wrong site.  I thought there were more posting on here about THR.  Anyways, here's my story.  I am getting my THR in early June with Dr. Burke at Mass Gen.  Has anyone else used him as a surgeon?  I am 37 years old and was born with dysplasia in my left hip (but was not diagnosed until age 32).  After years of doctors not giving me answers.....here I am facing my THR.  I was also recently a patient of Dr. Millis at Childrens' Hospital in Boston and he also concurred that re-surfacing and PAO were not options for my serverely degenerated and athritic hip.  I had arthroscopic surgery on that hip 2 years ago by Dr. Joe McCarthy who only inflamed my hip and made it so I limp everywhere.  I had a torn labrum.....but it all turned out to be so much worse. 

I'm just not a candidate for resurfacing or PAO.  I can't afford to have another failed surgery...I have 4 young kids and am a preschool teacher too!  Anyone with words of wisdom or advice? 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:30:32 AM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: THR at 37
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »
Hi

This is basically a site about hip resurfacing, but since some people that have joined here can't have a resurfacing, I added a THR section.  99.9% of the website is about resurfacing. I have a sister site about THRs a http://www.hipsforyou.com  It is not as large or active as this Surface Hippy Website.

The only piece of advice I would give you is that less experinced hip resurfacing surgeons won't or can't do difficult resurfaicngs.  Since you sound like you have a difficult problem, I definitely would at least get several of the top resurfacing surgeons to look at your x-rays.  Most will give you an email consultation for free if you send them an email and attach your x-rays digitally.  Only the really experienced surgeons that have done thousands can do difficult hips.  Less experienced surgeons will just give you a THR.

You can look at my list and see the top resurfacing surgeons  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php  The closest to you would be Dr. Su of NY, Dr. Mont of MD and then Dr. Gross of SC.  All will give you a free consultation. Then you will really know if you are a candidate or not.  Again, the less expeirenced resurfacing surgeons just won't do difficult hips.  When surgeons have done over 1000 resurfacings, they are getting to be experienced.  I would not want a THR at your young age if I could have a resurfacing. They only way to know is talk to the top surgeons.  You are young with a large family, I would make sure you are making the right decision before just accepting what one surgeon has told you.  He might be right, but a second and third opinion with such major surgery is generally pretty accepted.

You can also write to the top surgeons overseas that have done many thousands like Dr. Bose and Dr. De Smet.  I went to De Smet since he does older women and very difficult cases. He has done way over 3000 resurfacings.  He is probably one of the very best in the world and has been doing them since 1997.  I think you can undrstand that surgeons that just started in 2006 when the FDA approved the BHR just can't be as experienced as the overseas surgeons that have been doing them since 1997.

I am not a doctor and can't give medical advice.  I can say that most people want a second and third opinion when they are facing major surgery to replace one their hips.  If it isn't done properly, you could limp or have pain the rest of your life.  It is not an issue most people are willing to gamble on.

If your inner voice still has questions - get them answered before your surgery.  Don't wait until after and wish you had.  Many of us have actually cancelled THR surgeries to get a resurfacing including myself.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Debbie

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 01:23:02 AM »
Hi,
I am 38 and was just diagnosed with hip dyspasia a few months ago.  I also have a torn labrum and was told by my first doctor to have it repaired.  Luckily, I had the meniscus in my knee repaired about ten years ago and was happy with the results but not thrilled.  When I found out that the success rate on labrum repair was lower than meniscus repair, I have gotten several opinions since.  It seems difficult to get information on resurfacing with dysplasia, but I emailed my xrays to Dr DeSmet  and Dr Bose in India.  They both said that I am a good candidate for resurfacing and my doctor here in San Diego agrees.  I am scheduled for surgery June 5th.  According to the doctors I have consulted, it depends upon the severity of dysplasia and the size of the implant.  They also seem to agree that preserving bone in your thirties is pretty important. 
Good luck!

dw

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:30:40 AM »
you may also want to talk to Dr Hanmer or Snyder at Newton Wellesley Orthopedics. They've been doing resurfacing. In my experience Dr. Hanmer is very straight forward about what, who and why he does what he recommends

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear