+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tips for at home recovery  (Read 4789 times)

Tommy

Tips for at home recovery
« on: May 10, 2009, 10:58:42 AM »
Hi I'm schedule for hip resurfacing June 2 is there any tips that you would like to share for the home recovery part, maybe things your Dr. didn't tell you about that you learn on you own. Things that you needed that you found would have made recovery a bit better.         
                                                   Tommy
Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma
DR Gross Biomet uncemented RHR 5/6/22

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
Re: Tips for at home recovery
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:01:08 AM »
Hi Tommy,

I found that having all the 'ridiculous' things on the recovery aids list was a huge help. When I saw the list I was "Macho Man" and didn't think I needed a sock assist device or an extended grabber. Thankfully my girlfriend prevailed :) Another help was making sure that I had unobstructed paths to navigate my apartment. Last.y, be diligent about your recovery but be patient. Take your time and recover wisely and well.

Kyle

mbstout

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:40:57 PM »
Hi Tommy,
This is post-op day 10 for me. Everybody's experience is unique. I didn't do well with the pain meds, they made me very anxious, so I've been on OTC Tylenol since the day 3. Consequently, my first 2 days home were very uncomfortable trying to constantly prop up and rearrange pillows in my normal bed. My wife ordered a hospital bed on day 4. Great move. It isn't covered by the insurance, but it is surprisingly cheap. The company delivered the bed and set it up the same day. The bed is very much still my base station. It hasn't been my hip so much that has kept me in bed, but rather the muscles in the front of my thigh, soft tissue trauma from the dislocation. I was up an walking the day of the resurfacing, but by day 3 between the thigh pain and the drug reaction, I was forcing myself out of bed to walk and then collapsing back in when I had done my "laps" around the house. The thigh is getting much better and I don't hesitate to get up for meals, bathroom needs, showers and walks, but the ability to press a button and shift the angle the bed, readjust how my weight is distributed is still a miracle. So number 1, I would strongly consider renting a hospital bed. Next, I have 2 TV dinner style tables next to the bed. On my left, I have a laptop and power. Next to that, I have a chair with 3 large pillows for using between my legs to rest on my side, use as an armrest, use as a surface for the laptop. On my right hand side I have a small trash can and on the second table I have a water bottle, urine deposit bottle (still using at night), box of tissues, small notebook and pen for recording med times (when your living on Tylenol every 4 hours it's easy to lose track if you don't write it down), small massage tool for working the thigh muscles. I broke my leg pretty badly a few years ago snowboarding and so I already owned an icewater recycling pad and cooler. It's a pretty neat gadget. My wife fills the small cooler with ice and water in the morning and I've got instant ice pad all day long. My routine has been to do my home pt exercises 3-4 times a day, walk 6-8 times a day followed by massage and ice pack. I have tied a few items to the bed frame as well, the grabber tool is essential, a couple of bandana/dish towel type small pieces of fabric to use with the massage tool rather than oil. Let's see, crutches are hanging on the foot of the bed.

Wherever you end up sleeping you may have bedding issues. I am on Lovenox as an anti-coagulant and I guess one of the common side-effects is nightsweats, it could be from pain, whatever, it is pretty heavy nightsweats. I have never been a great sleeper, so I did get my doc to prescribe Ambien to help me get some sleep during recovery. I have been cutting 1 tab in half, sleeping 4-5 hours and waking up drenched in sweat. The first few nights my wife set up a change of sheets if needed, but usually we have just flipped head to foot and then put a bath towel under my legs and changed the sheets in the morning, throw the night sheets in the laundry and they are ready for the next evening. The last few nights I've been putting a bath towel under my torso before try to sleep. Sleeping on a bath towel hasn't been too bad, I'm not rolling around a lot, and it is quick and easy to spread a fresh towel out if you wake up drenched.

I'm incredibly lucky to have a partner that is willing and able to take a full week off from work and basically provide full-time care for me. My wife has figured out what I need, organized it all and she improves the systems daily. The first few days the living room was a mess, which sheets fit the bed, which pillows were the right size,  and she was obviously very busy keeping up with a very appreciative but needy husband. I've been on my own now the past 2 days and the system is proving its weigh in gold. I should have tried to have more in place before surgery, but I didn't. You are wise to be planning ahead.
Take care and best of luck,
Michael Stout

Todd

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:10:19 PM »
Michael,

I had similar experience with the night sweats during recovery after each hip surgery.  As soon as I came off the narcotic meds the sweating became less.  I think the combination of the meds and a body trying to recover from major surgery affected me that way.  Good luck with your recovery. You will be feeling better each day now, and your strength will come back too.  Be patient and let time do it's thing.

todd
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

Bierhead

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:44:02 AM »
Tommy,
I am post op day 9 today and feeling really great.  I agree with Michael- I didn't get all the "things" on the list and I was sending my husband to the store as soon as we got home.....higher toilet seat,  extra bandages, tylenol PM, iron pills...etc.   I had to ask the nurse if I could take the hospital pillow with me for the 5 hour car ride home because I hadn't thought to throw one in the car- it helped!  All of the tools they give you at the hospital are essential. Make sure you get an extra pair of TEDS.  Sleep has been the biggest challenge for me.  I went off all meds by day 4 (no pain!!!!) and switched to tylenol only as needed.  I am still struggling with the sleep issue. I am not use to sleeping on my back with a huge pillow between my legs.  I also think the change in activity level from before surgery is so drastic (I was swimming every day and now I am doing almost nothing) that I don't need as much sleep.  The other challenge for me has been swelling. My left thigh got huge!  I think it was a combination of surgery, 29 staples, the car ride and the drain being pulled.  Even though I felt like walking around on crutches I forced myself to lay low and ice my leg intermittently for the first 5 days. I am happy to say it is getting much better.  All in all everything has gone better than I could have dreamed!  Who is your doctor?  I had Dr. Mont in Baltimore.  I wish you the best of luck and speedy recovery!   Kristen
LHR /Wright C+/ Dr.Mont/ May 14, 2009

Todd

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 12:24:43 PM »
Tommy,

Similar recoveries for each of my hips that were done about 4 months apart.  Ice to reduce and keep swelling down.  Give yourself time to nap and rest especially in the first couple of weeks.  Don't overdo your exercises to the point of pain.  I would suggest doing enough to work and fatigue the muscles and then let them rest and heal.  Time is the biggest factor in recovery, not how hard you work these recovering muscles.  Take things day by day as small improvements will be seen.  I didn't have a need for any of the tools that they offered from sock pullers, grabbers, to raised toilet seats.  The first day or 2 with a normal toilet seat was challenging, but after that, no problem.  I wouldn't think that the tools would be necessary if you have someone in the house who can help you with simple things, but they are relatively cheap and if you are more comfortable getting them, go for it.  Good luck!
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

skyc6

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 07:47:27 PM »
Hi! I had my hip resurfacing on May 28th, 2009. I have developed an incision site infection! The antibiotic (augmentin) is making me nauseas and weak. What a mess! I just want to feel normal again. Can anyone encourage me on this? I am having staples taken out tomorrow, 2 days early, because they are such an irritation on top of the infection. Help!!

Debbie

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 07:49:50 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about your infection.  I had my resurfacing done June 5th and I have been nauseous and dizzy due to pain med allergies, so I can relate.  Just think about how much better things are going to be in a few weeks.  I had to have a blood transfusion day two and was pretty depressed about it and the allergy issues myself.  From everything I have read on here and heard, we should both be a lot better than we were presurgery in a short amount of time.  I just keep telling myself that.
How did the staple removal go?  I only have glue and steristrips.  Some people seems to struggle with infection when they have staples.  After they come out and get a chance to treat the infection, I hope you feel exponentially better.  Let us know.

skyc6

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 01:03:34 PM »
Hi, Debbie! Thanks so much for answering! It is now day 15, and things have gotten a little better. When I finally got in to see the Dr., he saw NO sign of infection. I think he doubts it ever was infected, but my daughters, as well as the PT say there was a major difference from last Thursday to Friday, and infection was evident. I can only guess that the Augmentin took care of it between Sat-Wed, when I saw the Dr.
The staples were taken out, and that was not nearly as uncomfortable as I was imagining it would be! Dr. said to stop all meds, except pain meds as needed. That has helped a lot, because the antibiotic was making me feel pretty sick.
What I am noticing now is that the skin next to the incision site, for about an inch in either direction feels numb and kind of thick. I am coming to the conclusion that there are all manner of things affecting everyone, and no one is the same.
I am sleeping in a recliner now, and that is much better than the hospital bed, which I found uncomfortable. I can take a tylenol PM to help me get to sleep. I did this last night, and slept pretty well. Walking is the thing the Dr. wants me to do, and I am, but I do not have the stamina I would like, and it still feels tight in the joint when I walk. Please feel free to email me...I can give it to you if it doesn't show for you. Patience is a virtue I need to become more friendly with!  Mary

Debbie

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 11:01:02 PM »
Patience is definitely something we all need to have more of.  It is a fine line between pushing myself and not getting to carried away.  I am 19 days after surgery and am walking around the house with one crutch or no crutches.  I finally gave up on the pain meds completely because of the side effects, your idea of Tylenol PM is a good one.  I think I'll get some tomorrow.
Glad to hear that the infection looks so much better.  You said you are walking, is it with or without crutches?  After reading about how much some people are doing on here without crutches I am feeling behind.  My doctor did want me to be a little more careful about weight bearing since women have a little more incidence of femoral head fracture, so I don't want to get too carried away.

skyc6

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 11:16:47 AM »
Debbie,
     My walking so far has been with a walker. I am 4 weeks out from surgery. Everyone is different, si I am not going to complain about where I am. My dr. said 4 weeks with a walker, so that;s what I did. I have a cane that I use for stairs, but I am not sure I can use it for walking yet. You are not behind! There is no such thing! Progress happens when it happens. I am going to start practicing with the cane in the house. hopefully, it will happen soon!

Debbie

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 10:05:43 AM »
Thanks,
My husband keeps telling me the same thing, but it is hard to keep in perspective.  This website has been great for knowing what to expect, getting support, etc.  However, when I read how quickly some of these guys are doing what I would like to be doing I wonder if I should really be reading it anymore.  Good luck with the cane around the house.  I started in the kitchen close to the counter so that I had something else to hang onto if I needed it and just made short trips from one side of the kitchen to the other.  It took me a few days to feel comfortable walking around the rest of the house with the cane.

skyc6

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 11:57:25 AM »
Debbie,
     The cane walking has been going fairly well. Yesterday, I didn't use the walker at all. I only use the walker if I am out in crowds, or going a great distance. The joint is getting looser, making it easier to walk, and I have started using the pool daily, which is wonderful. Hope things continue well with you.  Mary

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
This website has been great for knowing what to expect, getting support, etc.  However, when I read how quickly some of these guys are doing what I would like to be doing I wonder if I should really be reading it anymore. 

HaHa Exactly !!  Don't pay too much attention to those that seem to toot their own horns in almost every post.  Go at your own pace, it is what it is, you'll get there.  I have an improperly placed cup and had a s-l-o-w  recovery and at one point got sick of coming into this site and reading about how one guy is golfing at 2 weeks and some other dude is playing tennis or whatever when I was still struggling with a cane. But at 9 months out I feel pretty good, steep cup and all.  Don't sweat it, you'll get there  8)

Debbie

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 01:48:33 PM »
Bill,  Thanks for the encouragement.  I want to be golfing and walking three miles and biking, but two or three steps without a cane is a major accomplishment at this point.  Sorry to hear about your cup placement.  Do you know how that will affect you in the future?  Glad to hear you are doing well and I am trying to just keep plugging along.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 02:29:16 AM »
Bill,  Thanks for the encouragement.  I want to be golfing and walking three miles and biking, but two or three steps without a cane is a major accomplishment at this point.  Sorry to hear about your cup placement.  Do you know how that will affect you in the future?  Glad to hear you are doing well and I am trying to just keep plugging along.

9 month check up/x-ray is tomorrow.   The simplified version is it is going to wear out quicker than a properly placed one, thats a given. The variables are how long will it last and more importantly how my body reacts to the worn out metal ions (dust) that gather in the surrounding tissue.   I will know more tomorrow.  Hoping for good news.   

Hope I didn't come off bitter regarding people talking about their quick recovery's, I think its awesome and wish everyone had no problems whatsoever. Call it jealous not bitter  ;D ;D.  Good Luck !

Debbie

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 11:20:29 AM »
I'm jealous of them too!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for good info from the doctor. :)

MarilynRS

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 12:08:54 AM »
Thank you Debbie and Mary for your posts.  It is good to hear from more women, and with our "increased" risks, it is probably smart for us all to really believe and keep hearing that it is OK to go more slowly if needed.  And thanks Bill, too.  I'm scheduled for bilateral 7/13 and 7/15 with Dr. Gross, so if all goes well I'll be bionic also two weeks from today. 

One thing I was just going to mention about the cane walking.  You might try using two canes. 

I actually already have some experience because I started using one cane over a year ago at the suggestion of a PT I was seeing (to try to exercise myself to improvement).  She said to use it so I would limp less and prevent damage to my back and other parts.  After a short while, I realized that I would take 3 steps or so with the cane on one side and then want to switch sides to help out the other side for a few steps.  One day the light bulb went off, and I went and bought another cane.  They're both aluminum and very light but the two provided just the right support for balanced walking.  (That worked well until about 7 months ago, when I just started putting more and more and more weight on them as I walked and concluded I simply had to take the plunge into the re-surfacing experience.) 

Anyway, two canes might make you feel confident.  You simply "walk" them opposite the leg in front, that is left cane forward with right leg forward, etc

Continue having a great recovery :)   Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

lindalynn

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 11:02:56 PM »

9 month check up/x-ray is tomorrow.   The simplified version is it is going to wear out quicker than a properly placed one, thats a given. The variables are how long will it last and more importantly how my body reacts to the worn out metal ions (dust) that gather in the surrounding tissue.   I will know more tomorrow.  Hoping for good news.   

Hope I didn't come off bitter regarding people talking about their quick recovery's, I think its awesome and wish everyone had no problems whatsoever. Call it jealous not bitter  ;D ;D.  Good Luck !

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat