+-

Author Topic: Sleeping on back  (Read 2134 times)

msmith

Sleeping on back
« on: May 10, 2009, 07:36:01 PM »
Hi,

I've been told that I'll have to sleep on my back once I've had my op.

This is a issue, because I sleep on my side.

Any suggestions on how I can get used to sleeping on my back.

Michael

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Sleeping on back
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »
Hi

Most doctors let you sleep on your unoperated side with a pillow between your legs.  I was able to do that about 4 or 5 days post op. Others have done it sooner, some later.  Some were able to sleep on the operated side in a few weeks or so. That took me a very long time.

It also helps to take naps in a recliner chair.  It feels better than the bed.  I spent a lot of time in mine.  I would go back and forth between it and my bed at night.

It also helps to put a big pile of pillows under your legs when sleeping on your back.  I was told to keep my nose above my toes to keep my legs from swelling.  It is more comfortable too.

So don't worry so much about it.  It will only be for a short time.  Also you can ask your doctor for something to help you sleep. That way you don't think much about being on your back.  A lot of people do that too.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 08:47:51 PM »
Hi,

I've been told that I'll have to sleep on my back once I've had my op.

This is a issue, because I sleep on my side.

Any suggestions on how I can get used to sleeping on my back.

Michael

Michael,

When I found out that I would have to sleep on my back I was horrified, when I sleep on my back I get a kink in my neck and usually end up with a really bad headache..... like Pat said most docs allow you to sleep on your side with a pillow, let your body tell you when.  I slept on my unoperated side a few days after I got home, I actually slept on my operated side not long after that.

I will tell you that I slept on my lazy boy the first night home, after that I returned to my own bed.

The moral is, DON'T worry about it, you'll be fine.  You might want to raise your back up when in the hospital post-op that helped me a lot.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

bothdone

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 09:01:18 AM »
Hi Michael

Before my first hip op I was really worried.   I thought I'd never manage sleeping on my back and would end up dislocating my new hip.     

In hospital it wasn't difficult as I had a foot pump on which prevents you rolling over.  (The foot pump helps squeeze blood around the body - don't know if you use them in the USA?)  At home I wedged a pillow either side of my torso and that kept me in one place.     I think i kept them there until I had permission to sleep on my side (with a pillow between my knees).

Coming round to the hip op on my other side, I thought "I've done this once before, I can do it again".  No problem.

Now, over a year after my second op, I enjoy sleeping on my back.   What was a problem is now a benefit.

Hope everything goes well.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

msmith

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 08:04:19 PM »
Thanks everyone, sorry it took me a while to respond, I've been busy with wrapping up uni stuff.

UPwingnut

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:09:37 AM »
One week post op. Still hate being on my back. Took an awesome nap in my recliner over the weekend. Didn't really want to sleep there as it is a bit low, so I scarfed up some pillows for back and head and continued with one under my legs/between my feet. I'm sleeping in bed, on my back, but well propped. My wife said she was very happy to actually hear me snoring last night.
Good luck with that and remember... it IS temporary.
Take care,
Joe
May 11, 2009; Dr. Michael Tressler; Green Bay, WI

msmith

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 08:22:14 AM »
Thanks, I'll no doubt get used to it.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner