+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: going through airport security  (Read 2752 times)

embcrna05

going through airport security
« on: May 11, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »
My husband had his hip resurfaced in December.  He is doing great!!!!  We will be flying in 2 weeks and wonder what the routine is for going through airport security.  He has an ID card showing the date, dr, and implant.  I realize he probably has to be "searched" by an individual rather than going through the metal detector.  Do we wait in line and tell them when we get up to the checkpoint, or tell them as we check in at the counter?   Also, do I go with him or stay in line and go through the checkpoints as I normally would?  Thanks, everyone. 

Tarhoo2

Re: going through airport security
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »
My experience, and it's only been at two airports (Dulles and SeaTac) so far, is that you go through the normal routine and then get pulled aside and "wanded."  I was hoping that with the card I could avoid the lines and go through a separate routine, but no such luck.  You'll probably have to wait for him to be "wanded" after you both go through the regular procedure.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 07:48:27 PM »
Hi

Normally it is best to just go throught the metal detector with everyone else.  I have read many times that it works best that way.  They won't even look at your card since it could be made by anyone.  Some people set off the detector and others don't.   I do and they wand me down.  

So everyone seems to think it is best to just act like everyone else until you set off the detector.  Then you can say something, but the card won't do you any good.  Be nice and prepared for special attention!

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevel

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »
I have walked through the metal detector with all metal removed (except for the implant) and they directed me aside for wanding and a pat-down.  They know you have a hip implant, since they asked if I had a hip implant.  They must see it on the screen.  A fellow skier followed me with both knees replaced with metal implants and he was directed aside also.  I showed the card once and they didn't even look at it.  They ask if you want a private pat-down.  They assign an agent of the same sex to do the pat-down.  I have been screened at Newark, Seattle, Juneau, Anchorage and Fairbanks, so far.  Taking all metal off, such as jewelry, watches and belts saves time during the wanding process.  They even wanded the staple on my boarding pass in my shirt pocket.

To speed up the process, we need a card ID with a photo of the person and serial number of the implant that matches the serial number on the implant that is legible on the security screen.

Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

embcrna05

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 07:25:15 AM »
Thanks everyone, for your input.  This is helpful.   :) 

dw

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:23:29 AM »
first time going through screening this past weekend. set off the alarm, as I've been screened before, not a big deal, although a bit "personal". in one airport the hand wand even picked up the implant. In another, it didn't. TSA didn't ask for any paperwork (didn't think they would), they did ask if I had an implant (must have been a high level indicated on the reader - if you look at the back of a metal detector - there's lights that go from green to yellow to red in a scale indicating the amount of metal).

D

John C

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 03:26:44 PM »
I find it nice to mention my metal hip just before I walk through the metal detector, so that no one has to guess or be surprised. The wanding and pat down are no big deal, just allow about three or four extra minutes. I have confirmed with numerous TSA employees that cards, letters, etc., are not worth bringing, since they could be so easily forged.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 04:06:11 PM »
I find it nice to mention my metal hip just before I walk through the metal detector, so that no one has to guess or be surprised. The wanding and pat down are no big deal, just allow about three or four extra minutes. I have confirmed with numerous TSA employees that cards, letters, etc., are not worth bringing, since they could be so easily forged.

This is exactly what I did. I made eye contact with the screener, just prior to going through the metal detector, and pointed to my hip. He smiled, nodded and met me in the wanding area. He was very nice and as John said it cost me about 5 minutes. I repeated the eye contact thing on the way home, with the same results.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear