+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Sock puller  (Read 2532 times)

Tommy

Sock puller
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:37:36 PM »
Just wandering were to buy a sock puller upper and some soft ice packs. Just tring to get everything found before surgery.
                                                 Tommy
Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma

Tarhoo2

Re: Sock puller
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:00:52 PM »
Tommy,

You should be able to get equipment like the sock "puller-upper" and a "grabber" (which will enable you to pick things up off the flor without violating the 90-degree rule), along with crutches, elevated toilet seat, walker, etc., from the hospital when you are discharged.  Inova Joint Replacement Center, where I had my surgeries done, also provided a small, light backpack, which was helpful for carrying books, etc. up and down the stairs (I live in a townhouse, so this was very useful).

The icepacks can be purchased at just about any drugstore.  I bought four of them, so two could be re-freezing while I was using the other two (I felt I really needed to use two at a time to get full coverage).

Other than getting the compression stockings on and tying lace-up shoes, I felt fairly independent from the very first day I returned home.  My physical therapist recommended elastic shoelaces, which are supposed to be manageable, but I never tried them.  Perhaps someone else here has.

Best of luck!

Jim

Tommy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 03:14:07 PM »
Townhouse, up and stairs, sounds like good pt. Thanks for you help Jim.

Tommy
Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma

msmith

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 11:03:03 PM »
When I had my pre-op, there was a session with an occupational therapist, where I was asked if i needed anything like htat.  But I'm in the UK, so I'm not sure how that works where you are.

blitz373

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:40:50 PM »
Any good medical supply store.....

UPwingnut

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 10:22:44 AM »
Medical supply in our town had those. Also definitely needed the high riser toilet seat. What goes down needs to get up!!! ;D
May 11, 2009; Dr. Michael Tressler; Green Bay, WI

Tommy

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »
Pre op is on the 29th so I'm sure alot this will be taken care of then but I'm one that likes to prepare, plus It keeps my mind busy and off of the surgery.
                                                Tommy
Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma

karenj_m

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 01:00:47 PM »
Hey Tommy:
My surgeon has the medical store come around to our hospital and purchase the hip home aide kit. So we have devices to use to "help ourselves" at home a bit.

It was "similar" to this:
http://www.activeforever.com/p-1940-hip-replacement-kit.aspx?CMPID=G_Orthopedics_HipKit_Hip%20kit&gclid=CJ283rS3yJoCFQZqswod4mid3A

Google   hip kit or hip home aide kit

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM