+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: crazy dislocation...help!  (Read 2730 times)

nemuiko

crazy dislocation...help!
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:20:08 AM »
Hi, I am new to this forum, have read the FAQ and think I'm closer to a turtle than a rabbit, recovery-wise.  To make a long story as short as possible, 1 1/2 weeks ago (which was 3 weeks after surgery) I was (against my doc's advice) sitting on the ground at the park.  I guess I got a little too relaxed because suddenly the ball joint with femur attached leapt out of its socket and rode over my pelvic bone and into my waist.  After an agonizing ambulance ride and wait in the ER, I was finally given an IV of the strongest drugs my hospital has.  After having been told that my doctor was not on call that weekend, they took a look at the x-ray and called him.  He put me under general anesthesia, yanked on my leg and put it back into place.  I am extremely nervous now about making the slightest move, although the pain and swelling have gone down.  I live in Japan though my doctor did his residency in the US and hip replacement is his specialty.  He said he had never seen anything like that before.  I am doing my exercises every day and walking around (on crutches) constantly.  I am also relatively young (38) and have a history of physical fitness.  So what the heck is going on?  Is there anything I can do to alleviate my concerns?  All replies are appreciated!  Kathleen

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: crazy dislocation...help!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:22:09 AM »
Hi Kathleen

I am sorry to hear about your dislocation.  You definitely need to listen to your surgeon.  Nomrally no patient 3 weeks post op would want to be sitting on the ground.  You can not make your muscles heal by willing them with your mind.  They will heal at their own rate.  You must be patient and allow your body to heal.  You have learned why we are told to be conservative and don't do certain things.  It is not worth taking chances since you will eventally be able to do anything you want.

You need to remain very conservative and be patient.  You can't force your body to heal.  Some people take 4 - 6 months for much of the healing and others take a year or more. As my surgeon told me - listen to your body.  If it hurts - don't do it.  There is no way your previous fitness can allow you to do the impossible.  Your muscles are cut, ligaments are cut and your leg dislocated - it all has to heal.  Give it time.  You age will not have any bearing on a quick recovery.  Our bodies have their own timelines.

Just relax and give yourself time to heal.  Personally, I would not do much PT and keep to easy walking.  Definitely, stop brekaing the 90 degree rule. You have again injured all those muscles and they will need even more time to heal. Take it easy!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:37:10 AM »
I concur with Pat on this one. 

Kathleen if you give it time things will be fine, if you push too much you are going to end up back on the operating table.

Kathleen's post is a great example of why I am against the advertising of super athletes who run marathons or ski mountains just a short time after their surgeries, it's totally reckless and ethically wrong.  Look how easy it is to damage your hip surgery.

I am not saying Kathleen listened to wrong advice, for all I know it was just a total accident, possibly a wrong turn of the hip, I will say people are at risk by listening to the super athletes stories and trying to repeat their miracle recoveries.

Please people, don't listen to the tales from snake oil, self appointed "patient advocate" salesmen from other forums and groups, they are idiots and in it for the wrong reasons. 

Kathleen you are in my prayers for a full recovery.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

bothdone

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 04:00:40 PM »
Hi Kathleen

Really sorry to hear about your dislocation.   I hope things go well for you from now.

I remember with both my hip recoveries I was very concerned with the possibility of dislocation and took things very carefully.   I think it is one of times when it is best to err on the side of caution.

Very, very, best wishes

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Tekka

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 06:03:08 PM »
Kathleen,

This is every surface hippies fear, I'm really sorry and I'm not just saying that...the thought of the pain and worry you have had to go through, I hope you make a full recovery and hopefully you will not incur any further issues.

I am 17 weeks post op and seriously impatient but I made the decision early on to be careful with my recovery and I was strict with all of the protocol's, I think Chuck makes a good point regarding reckless return to activities, is not enough to remember what life was like before our re-surfice so why risk it.

I'm sure you will make a full recovery Kathleen but be patient, it is easy to forget sometimes what a major operation we have been through.

Keep us all informed of your progress

Best wishes

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

stevel

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 06:46:25 AM »
Kathleen,

Did you receive a total hip replacement or a total hip resurfacing?  A dislocation is more likely for a conventional (small head) total hip replacement when the 90 degree bending restriction is violated early in the post-op recovery.  A dislocation is highly unusual for a total hip resurfacing.  I had no bending restrictions after surgery although I used the raised toilet seat, grabber and sock pull-on.  I followed the phased physical therapy according to the Dr's and physical therapist instructions, listened to my body and was able to return to downhill skiing (black diamonds) at 6 months post-op.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

nemuiko

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 05:01:54 AM »
Thank you Pat for this great site and thank you everyone for your words of encouragement.  I have been feeling a lot better and am even able to lift my leg off the ground without using my hand (almost 6 weeks post-op).  Steve--it's hip resurfacing.  I guess my doc chose it because of my age (he figures I'll need another surgery in 20 years or so).  My biggest concern now is how I am going to find a job!  Japanese employers aren't legally allowed to discriminate but I've seen it happen (my former employer refused to hire someone because he used a walking stick!!!!!)

Anyway, thanks again.  I will stay glued to this site and all your great advice.

Kathleen

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat