+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: OUCH!!! - I think I overdid it  (Read 2827 times)

dimples

OUCH!!! - I think I overdid it
« on: May 28, 2009, 12:44:57 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am just over a year post-op.  I have never been an athlete, but  joined a gym about 4 weeks ago and began an exercise program that my physical therapist recommended.  My routine has been 15 minutes warm-up on the treadmill, 15 minutes on the elliptical machine, then strengthening exercises on 5 different leg machines. I have been doing this 3 times per week (except for last week when my oldest son graduated from high school and I had a house full of company). I exercised as usual on Tuesday morning and by the middle of the afternoon I could barely walk.   Since then I have been resting as much as possible, staying off my feet, and taking anti-inflammatory meds.  I am only seeing a slight improvement in symptoms after 2 days. My hip does not hurt when I am sitting - only when I have weight on it - and I cannot walk very far.
Did I do too much after several days of not exercising? Has this happened to anyone else? I just had it x-rayed 2 weeks ago and everything looked great.
Thanks,
Delynn
LBHR 4/30/08

kb134

Re: OUCH!!! - I think I overdid it
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
Hi Delynn!
Congradulations for your One Year Anniversary!  From what I have read, your last set of X-rays were from 2 weeks ago, but the incident happened 2 days ago.  If you're still experiencing the same level of pain, I would recommend seeing either your Family Doc, or your surgeon to get you another set of X-rays ...
Other than that, how is your hip now?  If you're doing 5 different sets of leg specific exercises, and from what it sounds like, you've had no weight training in your past, it is possible that something - tendon, muscle or ligament may have been injured ....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip
The hip is a beautiful and complex joint.
And the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing has a really great history ...
Keep us updated!
Much Blessing!

John C

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 01:01:20 AM »
Though it sounds like my current situation is not quite as severe, it does sound a little similar to yours. I am just short of one year, and have been pushing my hip pretty hard since the six month mark. I recently got back into one of my summer sports (waveskiing in the surf), and after hitting it pretty hard for 3-4 hours every day, my hip has developed lots of new aches and pains, reminiscent of six weeks after surgery. It is reminding me of one piece of advice that my surgeon gives; he said that "you can do anything you want, but always start up a new activity gradually", and it sounds like we both might have started a little fast. I took a day off to heal today, and it is already starting to feel a little better (along with some Celebrex).
Hopefully yours will also improve with rest, and an easy build up of activity.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

dimples

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 09:02:59 AM »
Thanks everyone!  Things a a little better today, not limping as bad.  I think my 43-year-old muscles are telling me to slow down a little!

John C

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »
It looks as though my previous post my have been a bit optimistic. I have been continuing to surf on the waveski, and have started to get back into daily windsurfing, and my hip is getting a little worse every day. Pain with every step, and back to limping. Feels like a few weeks after surgery. I am taking the day off again today, and am back on Celebrex. Since windsurfing is my job during the summer months, I certainly hope that this gets better.

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 05:47:55 PM »
hey John,

Don't worry, it'll get better. Are you doing anything to strengthen the hips/glutes/hamstrings
commonly called the posterior chain. There are several exercises you can do that will help out in the long run. My favorites are kettlebell swings, deadlifts, sumo deadlift high pulls, lunges,
walking lunges, etc. PM me if you would like any more info.

spencer
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:48:35 PM by sroberts »

John C

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:57:55 AM »
I just received an email back from Lee Webb, Dr. Gross's assistant, who suggests that I have developed trochanteric bursitis. She suggested that I go on Celebrex for at least a month, and take it easy, "not pushing through the pain". She also suggested back stretches, and strengthening exercises. Hopefully this will work out.

dw

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 01:36:23 PM »
hey John,

Don't worry, it'll get better. Are you doing anything to strengthen the hips/glutes/hamstrings
commonly called the posterior chain. There are several exercises you can do that will help out in the long run. My favorites are kettlebell swings, deadlifts, sumo deadlift high pulls, lunges,
walking lunges, etc. PM me if you would like any more info.

spencer

hey Spencer - that kettlebell thing seems to be all the rage now... anyway, as far as deadlifts go, I was thinking of starting them. Was doing some legs last week (presses, extensions, curls, and calves), then some abs, got up from the abs, and my hip flexor almost gave out on me. Had me pretty concerned, it's calmed down, and I've re-started my leg raise routine, which I didn't do after starting up legs in the gym again (probably not the best idea). So, was wondering, I still don't have complete range of motion, but could grip the bar easily with 45 Lb plates - in your experience, would that be pushing it?

Dave

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 05:17:44 PM »
Dave,

The thing I like about the kettlebells is the dynamic movement of the hips. It's not an arm movement. For deadlifts make sure you can go down without a rounded back (normal lumbar curve maintained), chest out, hips up. If your range of motion in the hips is limited then raise the bar on each end with a couple of 45's  under each side (or on the rack,shin height).
135 lbs(45's on each side) should be doable, but work into it.. Start with the bar, 65,80,95,115,135 and see how it feels. I can't stress how important form is. One idea is after warming up, do a 3 sets of 21,15, and 9 reps at 95lbs. If you include an upper body movement such as a push up or pull up in between (same rep scheme), you'd have a pretty good workout.
let me know how it goes and feel free to pm me if you want more specifics.

take care,

spencer

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM