+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 7 Days and counting to op  (Read 4295 times)

msmith

7 Days and counting to op
« on: May 28, 2009, 03:05:38 PM »
Hi,

Today marks that in 7 days I"ll be having my hip op, I'm not nervous... yet... anxious yes.

Is everyone like this?

Todd

Re: 7 Days and counting to op
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 04:22:16 PM »
I was anxious--never nervous-- to finally get it over with too.  Once you reach that decision to have it done, the hardest thing is waiting for the day to come.  Good Luck--you won't regret the results!
todd
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

Debbie

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 04:38:28 PM »
We must be having it the same day, June 5th?  I am nervous too.  I alternate between sure I am doing the right thing because my hip is killing me and ...wow this is a major deal cutting the bone and such...am I really ready?

Tommy

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:41:46 PM »
Wow June 2nd for me and I'm haveing the same problem one minute let's do it now and the next it's wait a second this a major surgery. Pre op tomorrow so it could be a long weekend waiting for tuesday. Good luck to everyone haveing surgery next week and we can all celebrate 6 months together too.
                                                           Tommy
Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma
DR Gross Biomet uncemented RHR 5/6/22

msmith

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 05:54:49 PM »
The my op is on the fourth, that's assuming that when I call the ward on Wednesday that there bed for me, otherwise i guess i go back on the waiting list...

wayne-0

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 11:47:26 PM »
We all were a little or alot nervous before surgery but the pain your in right now will be gone and you will be on the road to recovery. Believe me it goes faster than you think. The first few days are the hardest but every day gets better and better. Good luck to all of you and see ya on the other side(otos).

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 10:21:21 AM »
Hi Gang

Everyone is a  bit nervous before major surgery.  I personally looked forward to it since I had read about so many people and knew it would be great to be out of pain.  I think if you have a good positve attitude and know in your mind you have made the right decision - things go better for you.  Focus on the postive and not the negative.  Even folks with slow recoveries and who experinced a few problems still all ended up in the same place eventually - healed, active and out of pain.  That's the goal for everyone.

The folks here give each other great support and Thanks to their great stories allow new patients to learn exactly what to expect.

Good Luck to all the future Surface Hippies!  Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

msmith

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »
Believe me, I'm looking forward to having had the op done, I'm certainly not going to miss what I'm dealing with before it.

Good luck to everyonne.

elar

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 11:13:03 PM »
June 2nd for me. And I'm a little anxious. Quite frankly, I don't do well with needles, so that's actually my biggest concern right now. More than anything, I'll be glad to be able to do normal things again. I'm relieved and excited, maybe even more than I'm anxious or nervous. 

But, it's a pretty big deal.  You'd be crazy not to be a little nervous. But if all goes well, your symptoms will be so much better.  So it's understandable not too be "freaking out," for lack of a better term. 

Anyway. Good luck.

msmith

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 03:44:11 AM »
Good luck, received a letter yesterday saying my op has been rescheduled for the 22nd.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 10:16:21 AM »
Elar

You surgery is getting pretty close now.  I want to wish you Good Luck.

I hope you will start a new section under hip stories about your surgery. You are very young and your story will help other young people in the future.  Plus we also want to know how you are doing after surgery.  You can also write a story when you recover and I will post it on the main website under the Hip Stories section.

Keep positive - this is your special resurfacing so you can live a long active life without pain.  Remember many younger people have gone thru this too.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

HSWrestlingCoach

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 09:14:39 PM »
I am also a 34 y/o getting my right hip resurfaced June 6 at The Hospital of Special Surgery with Dr. Boettner. Best of luck with your surgery. I am a high school phys ed teacher and head wrestling coach in NJ. I am also nervous but being told by many I will be thrilled after the surgery. I am curious how your recovery will be. Keep us updated!
boettner rbhr june 6, 2009

Debbie

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 12:40:14 AM »
I have to report to the hospital tomorrow at 6am.  I hope everyone who had it done this week went well and I'm sure we'll hear more in the next week or two as to how everyone is doing.  I hope to hear good news. :)

msmith

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 03:31:07 AM »
Good luck Debbie, let us know how it went when you can.

Tommy

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 09:50:27 AM »
Three days post op for me, went home on day two. Low grade fever is the only thing I've experience. This site and all the experienced people on it I owe a big thank you.
                                                                         Tommy
Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma

Debbie

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 10:25:47 PM »
Thefirst twelve hours were great, but now Iam notfeeling so wonderful, not am I typing well.  I was hoping someone might have some advice.  One paper Ihave says they should be turning me every twohours, but I thought I remember that I cant go on my side for days.  I see my doctor in the morning, so I will ask him then but my back is killing me.

Howoften were you guys icing for waht you though were good results?  My PA says off and on.  Did you elevate right away in the hospital?
I appreciate any opinions you have and realize you are not doctors.
Looking forward to feeling better in a few days, I hope.

Bierhead

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 04:20:57 AM »
Debbie- Congratulations on your surgery!  My doctor recommended intermittent icing and elevation for a few days when I returned home.  The hospital sent me home with a big ice pack.  I used it 5 or 6 times a day (at least) for 20 minute periods. I would elevate at the same time. This not only felt good, but the swelling was gone within a week or so.  One thing I didn't know until a physician friend told me, was that you don't want to ice it too much- you need to give your hip some time to heal in between all the ice.  Best of luck!!!!
LHR /Wright C+/ Dr.Mont/ May 14, 2009

Tommy

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 07:36:45 AM »
Yes Iced about 5 times a day 15 on then off for a while. My back was killin me to, they should come in and stand you up that really help my back. I was raising the bed up and down just to work my back a little. When I got home thats when the big improvements really started to happen hang in there it will get better. Let us know how your doing
                                                                                                                 Tommy
Dr Tupper  LBHR  6/02/09
Oklahoma

MarilynRS

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 06:53:13 PM »
 :)     Early recovery time-frames, especially for simultaneous bilateral folks....

Hi all -- I would like to do a little informal survey about recovery and recovery times --  from surgery through the "I think I've been hit by a truck phase" and "my goodness, how can my legs, thighs, behind, etc possibly be twice as large as normal? swelling phase" of recovery, up to "I can walk around pretty well now with my two crutches/canes phase." 

I am planning to fly to South Carolina, and become a bilateral Gross hippy.  However, from my small town in Oregon to Columbia, SC appears to be a minimum flight experience of 11.5 or 12 hrs, to far more hours.  I'm also looking at whatever other airports might be near to Columbia, but you get the idea...  with getting to the airport early, and the final drive to my house, it will end up being a very, very long day to get home. 

Because of this, I have decided I would like to stay at least a week, maybe 10 days, in SC post-surgery.  I'm just wondering if I would better plan more days?  How many?  I've been scrutinizing the recovery stories and I just thought maybe it would be helpful not just to me, but to others traveling, to have a reality check on what it would be like to travel from day 2 or 3 post-op all the way up to 15 days or so that seems to be common if US people go to Belgium, India, etc -- also with long travel times.  Maybe a little poll?

I've read lots of great single side recoveries, not as many simultaneous bilaterals, but it would seem all experiences would be helpful.  Please post the good, the bad, and the ugly.  (And how does one deal with non-raised public toilets anyway?  just wondering!)

Thanks for all help.  I'm scheduled for mid-July and need to dial in my flight dates.  Thanks,  Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

John C

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 12:55:04 AM »
Though mine was only one on side, here is how I handled my travel home from S.C. to Idaho, which was about a 12 hour affair. After the two nights in the hospital, I chose to stay an additional two nights at the Residence's Marriott about three blocks from the hospital. Note that there are two Marriotts near the hospital. The Courtyard, which is across the parking lot from the hospital, and the Residence's, which is about three blocks away. My wife stayed in the Courtyard while I was in the hospital, because it is slightly less expensive, and a short walk. We moved to the Residence when I got out of the hospital, because it has a kitchen and a nice little living area. Both have handicapped toilets, etc, if you request it ahead of time.
I found the trip back to be pretty easy, with the following tactics. We flew out of Columbia, so there was very little time in a car. We arranged for wheelchair assistance at all airports, so that part was very easy. We flew in first class seats when possible, which was a first for me, and very much worth it. I was sure to stay up on my pain meds, and was never particularly uncomfortable during the trip. I did have to use the toilet on the plane, which was incredibly awkward, but doable if you kind of prop yourself up with your hands, and sit kind of sideways so that you do not have to bend too much. It worked, and I did not have to violate any bending restrictions. The only real downside to the travel, was that I had a lot of swelling down in my foot and ankle, from sitting up for so long.
One other thought; I had a difficult time putting my full weight on my new hip, for a couple of weeks. If I had done both hips, waiting a bit longer to travel might have made sense. It sure is good to get home though.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat