+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: should I run  (Read 2642 times)

othepain4

should I run
« on: May 30, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »
I have been waiting to start running again. My surgeon had me wait one year. According to my xray my other hip is getting closer to bone on bone. He recommended I don't run but find other exercises to do.I was about 280 LB. when I had my surgery but am around 300 now. I find best succes with losing weight when I run. I "feel" my weight when I run.

Tekka

Re: should I run
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 06:01:57 AM »
Hi,

It's up to you if you want to run, but if your other hip is on it's way and your Doctor is advising you to find other forms of exercise then maybe you should look to find something else, there are lots of people who run after a HR but you must remember it puts a lot of impact on the hip. It's really difficult to sort out what we all expect from our new hip/hips, initially we all seem really happy with the fact that all the pain has gone and the we get our flexibility back, then we can start doing more exercise and then we want to try and get back to the stuff we could do before our hips stopped us doing those things we enjoyed.

It's really subjective and it is for you to consider what is best...I'm off for a fifteen mile bike ride with my son shortly and thats something I did not really enjoy before, but I love it now!!

I hope you can find a solution.

Regards

Terry
23/01/2009 LBHR Mcminn
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

bothdone

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 06:36:54 AM »
Hi

I had my first BHR in 2004.  My surgeon advised me that me other hip would need doing in the future, possibly within two years.    I took the decision not to run after the first BHR.   The result - I didn't need my second BHR until 2008, a four year gap.

After my second BHR I've started running again a few times a week.   Although I've had plenty of aches and pains (not usually while running) they are different from those I had with the arthritic hip.  My new pains are from exercising muscles.

Best wishes

Eddie
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 01:36:23 PM »
I might try running when I get to about a year,

depends whats chasing me I guess.   ;D     HaHa just foolin.

But I could if I had to !!!!!      :D :D

stevel

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:30:27 AM »
I've been fast pace walking (4.8 mph) on the treadmill for 15 minutes followed by running (6 mph) for 15 minutes.  I bought a great pair of running shoes - Asics Gel Kayano 15 to soften the impact.  Today its sunny and I will run along the soft shoulder of a highway that has a fantastic view.  I haven't done this for at least 7 years due to the deterioating condition of my left hip.

Hey Bill - How is your 65 degree socket doing?
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 04:54:39 PM »
Hey Stevel, its working pretty good at 8 months out. I get x-rayed next month (6 months from the last x-ray) and we'll see if there are any negative effects that show up, I'm hoping not.

Back to the topic of running, I had an ortho tell me that when you run/jog the force on your joints is 6 times your body weight ? For me that would be (210 X 6) = 1,260 lbs of force. Anyone else hear anything like that ?  or does he just not want me to jog/run ?

I've been swimming, surfing (trying anyway) body surfing and bicycling but don't want to run because I want this thing to last as long as possible, plus I don't really like running, but if thats what you love to do then by all means run !!   I would think good shoes and a soft surface would be the best combo.  I plan on riding dirt bikes again so I really have no business commenting on running, but the 6 X's your body weight made me think twice.  But....if thats what you love to do then I guess you should do it, but I would listen to the Dr. as far as when and how much  8)     

stevel

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 01:00:11 PM »
Six times body weight seems high.  One and a half times body weight with an allowance for impact (when the weight is transferred from one foot to the other and the foot drops to the ground) seems more appropriate.

In an interview with Vicky Marlow, Dr. Su states "I would ideally like the hip resurfacing implant to last as long as possible, and I feel that repetitive running on hard surfaces may be detrimental to the implant and it's connection with the bone.  If a patient feels strongly about running, I would prefer it be done on a softer surface."

When I asked Dr. Su directly, he said "You are an Engineer, you figure it out."

Vicky Marlow (on her website) has released the metal ion concentrations for her implant installed in December 2005 by Dr. Bose and its very very low (parts/billion).  She also says Cory Foulk's metal ion concentrations are very low (implant installed in December 2005 by Dr. Bose) and he has been running marathons.  The synovial fluid prevents metal wear for a properly placed implant.  So how is the cement in the femoral cap doing and the underlying bone (for Cory Foulk)?  X-rays can give some information, but only time will tell.      
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:02:35 PM by stevel »
Steve
Age 70

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 01:30:51 AM »
Yeah I thought 6 x your body weight sounded high too, but I have'nt heard about an actual scientific study on it.  The orthopedic guy who told me that is a guy I have bodysurfed with for a few years, but never really talked to much out of the water, I had no idea what his job was. He came up and ask how I was doing since he knew I had a new hip, and when he sounded pretty educated on the subject,  I asked him what he did and he told me he was an orthopedic surgeon, I had no idea....haha,  we talked about hip re-surfacing and broken bones for about 45 minutes.    He told me that during high impact sports the shock loads on your joints can be 6 X your body weight.
I showed hm my X-ray and asked about the steep angle, heres what HE told me (I've had lots of different opinions, this was his)  
The femoral componenet looks good, no issue on that side.  The cup is too steep partially because it is also a little shallow on the inside part of the pelvis, he said my Dr. basicly followed the natural lines of my pelvis. The fix would be not only to "rotate" the cup in the pelvis, but also to go a little deeper on the inside, because my operated leg rides a "little farther out from centerline" than the un-operated side, due to the shallowness of the cup.  The good news was there is plenty of bone left if a revision is needed. On the wear/metal ion issue, he didn't think wear or metal ions would be an issue but seemed more concerned that I could dislocate easier when my leg was extended behind me and then brought towards the other leg, he thought it could pop out (towards the front) from that position easier than it normally would.  He also believed the complete healing process was 1-1/2 to 2  years plus before you should be doing "anything high impact".
UUUuuuuuuhhhh.........enough about me, sorry to ramble off topic haha.   Back to running, I think with good shoes and by running on your toes and not bashing into the ground on your heels you could keep the impact somewhat "light" ??  Maybe 1-1/2 times like you say ?  and also lessen the jarring impact.     
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:35:34 AM by B.I.L.L. »

bothdone

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 04:39:31 AM »

In an interview with Vicky Marlow, Dr. Su states "I would ideally like the hip resurfacing implant to last as long as possible, and I feel that repetitive running on hard surfaces may be detrimental to the implant and it's connection with the bone.  If a patient feels strongly about running, I would prefer it be done on a softer surface."

When I asked Dr. Su directly, he said "You are an Engineer, you figure it out."

Hi Steve

A couple of questions for you:

What would you call a softer surface?   I went jogging around my local sports fields yesterday.  It felt as hard as tarmac.

What do you think Dr Su meant by his comment "You are an Engineer, you figure it out." ?   Did you figure it out?

And a general question:

Has anyone read about impact activities strengthening the bone?  I'm sure I've read something somewhere about this.

I think the bottom line is that running is a risk to be considered with everything else we do.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

stevel

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 11:38:06 AM »
Ed,

I interpret a softer surface as a treadmill, a grassy, mowed field as on a golf course, a sandy beach and maybe the dirt shoulder of a highway.

I figure the treadmill is OK as I have been fast pace walking (4.8 mph) for 15 minutes followed by running (6 mph) for 15 minutes with no ill effects.

I read two studies "Metal-on-metal resurfacing of the hip in patients under the age of 55 years with osteoarthritis" by Daniel, Pynsent & McMinn and "Preservation of the bone mineral density of the femur after surface replacement of the hip" by Kishida, et al.  The first study concludes "The extremely low rate of failure in spite of the resumption of high level occupational and leisure activities provides early evidence of the suitability of this procedure for young and active patients with arthritis."  The second study concludes "These findings show that the BHR system preserves the bone stock of the proximal femur after surgery."

1st study, page six, second column, 2nd paragraph, 4th sentence states "Many surgeons ask their patients to refrain from high-contact, high-impact sports and acceptance of this advice does appear to enhance the rates of survival."  Notice the word "appear."  This is simply conjecture as nobody has quantified the results yet.

1st study, page six, second column, 3rd paragraph states "Following hip resurfacing, return to high-impact activities has to be carefully planned in a graded manner.  Doing too much too soon risks a fracture of the neck of the femur.  However, with time, periarticular osteopenia is reversed and the protective effects of muscle tone, strength and coordination return to normal.  Patients are then able to undertake more rigorous activities safely."

So this is why some Doctors won't give their blessing for returning to high impact sports such as running (esp. on hard surfaces such as asphalt pavement).

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:41:59 PM by stevel »
Steve
Age 70

dw

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »
And a general question:

Has anyone read about impact activities strengthening the bone?  I'm sure I've read something somewhere about this.

I think the bottom line is that running is a risk to be considered with everything else we do.

Ed

I don't believe impact activities along strenghthen bone - I think it's load bearing activity in general. My doc told me I had "hard bones" (he took an x-ray in process to make sure everything was installed correctly prior to sewing me back together - was under for 189 minutes!) - I probably got those from skiing, basketball, weight training, and other activities (I am very adverse to running/jogging in general, unless it involves some sort of ball).

From what I understand, bone is a living organism as well, and if you stress it, it will grow stronger.

stevel

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 06:15:56 PM »
I increased my aerobic activities from spinning, eliptical machines, fast-paced walking on the treadmill and finally running on the treadmill.  I get a great workout with any of the exercises.  Spinning and eliptical has the least impact on my hip joint and running on the treadmill has the most impact.  I checked my heart rate and it averaged 155 for 15 minutes of running at 6 mph on a 2 % incline on the treadmill.  I warm up by fast pace walking (4.8 mph) on the treadmill.
So for me the purpose of running it to get an aerobic workout and I don't need to do it outdoors on hard surfaces.  I will continue to cross train on other devices and run intermittently on the treadmill.
Steve
Age 70

blmjumper

• Hope is not a strategy
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 04:14:49 PM »
Ran two miles on my 6 month anniversary. Typical terrain in the foothills behind my house. Felt great to run again.

My surgeon asked me to hold off for 6 months, then keep it to a day or so a week and let pain be my guide. I plan on starting back playing lacrosse at the end of June, so I had to put a couple of miles in here and there.

Prior to that eliptical trainer, hiking and riding my bike to work.

...and fwiw, came across this a while back....

"After controlling for age, sex, obesity and osteoporosis medication, participation in high-impact sports was found to be a significant predictor of bone mass density."

In that those who participated in high impact sports had roughly a 3x higher BMD than those who didn't in this study.

so...take it for what it's worth.

othepain4

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 05:28:29 PM »
I have tried jogging while my kids have soccer practice. I feel muscle pain after about a 1/4 mile. The pain stops after walking another 100 feet. I walked 4-6 miles a day. Then my physical therapist set me up with muscle exercises and said there was nothing else he could do. The problem is I haven't done them. My surgery was done from the front and I had muscle pain from my leg going up to my hip.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat