+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Before having hip resurfacing done.  (Read 1625 times)

BLS2810

Before having hip resurfacing done.
« on: May 31, 2009, 02:02:53 PM »
I have heard that before having some type of orthopedic surgery, it is a good idea to build up the muscles around the surgery sit. I am having my hip resurfaced in two months and was wondering what type of exercises I would benefit from to make my muscles stronger. The problem I am having with most exercises is that they leave me in A LOT of pain. I have a high tolarence to pain, but I don't want to make things worse. I have been swimming, but even that hurts. Don't know what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?

obxpelican

Re: Before having hip resurfacing done.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 07:52:42 PM »
I have heard that before having some type of orthopedic surgery, it is a good idea to build up the muscles around the surgery sit. I am having my hip resurfaced in two months and was wondering what type of exercises I would benefit from to make my muscles stronger. The problem I am having with most exercises is that they leave me in A LOT of pain. I have a high tolarence to pain, but I don't want to make things worse. I have been swimming, but even that hurts. Don't know what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?

Swimming is one of the best things pre and post-op.  If it's hurting you to excercise your hip, DON'T do it.

Work on your upper body, you will use that area of your body a lot post-op.  When you swim use mostly your upper body to do a lot of the work if it's hurting you.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 09:32:11 PM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.

Some people are able to build more strength and upper body strength before surgery and some can't.  Don't worry about it.  Don't do anything that makes your body hurt.  Wait until after surgery and you have started to heal - then you can start working all those muscles again.  There is not a great difference between those who are in shape and those who are not when it comes to surgery outcome.  There is no way to predict your recovery rate.  Just because you are very athletic and in shape - does not mean you will heal more quickly than someone like myself.  I was 61 and did almost nothing due to pain.  I had a very quick and easy recovery.  Much depends on your surgeons skill and your own bodies rate of healing. There is no way to push your healing.  You body will control it.  So stop worry.  Even after surgery, don't push hard.  My doctor always told me to listen to my body.  If it hurts - don't do it.  We all end up in the same condition eventually after surgery - out of pain and active.  That is what you want and sometimes patience is the best medicine.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Bierhead

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 05:45:37 AM »
I concentrated on swimming all winter to get in shape for my hip resurfacing (May 14). I incorporated drills that didn't use my hip as much (using pulls between the legs, etc.).  I don't know for sure that the swimming has helped my recovery (I'm post op day 18). But, I have had a great recovery so far. What I think the swimming did do was make me feel healthy and strong  going in to the surgery. I also knew that I was going to be a coach potato for about 5 weeks post op and wanted to go in to the experience as fit as I could get.  I have a few more weeks before I can get back in the pool again but I know that I will swim as soon as my precautions are lifted. Good luck!!! Hope you find some activity that helps you feel better !!
LHR /Wright C+/ Dr.Mont/ May 14, 2009

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal