+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spinning/Cycling Post Op and Equipment  (Read 3411 times)

table46

Spinning/Cycling Post Op and Equipment
« on: June 01, 2009, 02:52:45 PM »
Hi, I'm having hip resurfacing this coming thursday and other side a month or so after. Looking through the forums it seems like many who've had hip resurfacing get back to cycling fairly fast and ultimately fairly hard. Was hoping to get folks thoughts and recommendations on type of equipment to use for post surgery pt and ongoing training. I have a trainer at  home for my road bike but have had trouble getting leg over the bar for some time now. The spin bikes at heath clubs seem easier and someone else suggested recumbants. Big fan of the surface hippy site already. been a great source of info and motivator to get started fast on right on the road to full recovery. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Avi
Bethesda, MD

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
Re: Spinning/Cycling Post Op and Equipment
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 04:14:38 PM »
Hey Avi,

I used the spinning bike for the first 4 weeks-(just for rehab) then went back to teaching spin class 4x/wk. Started riding outdoors  and trainer at week 5-6 (easy). For the trainer at home I used a stool to get on and off the bike. I also did single leg drills on the bike to get the strength back. PM me if you'd like any more info. Good luck this Thursday!

best,

spencer

DirkV

Re: Spinning/Cycling Post Op and Equipment
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 12:49:33 AM »
Hi Avi,
Wishes for a highly successful surgery this Thursday, and a good recovery. I was bilateral as well - also 1 month between surgeries. I'm now a year and a few months post op, and everything is fine. Post op recovery goes pretty quickly in many ways, but it is a major surgery with cutting and stitching of muscles, and some things take a long time to get all better. But for that reason, I'm very happy with my decision to have the near-proximity bilateral. It would be a bummer to get to the point I'm at now, and then go back under the knife to get the other side done.
Re cycling: I used the equipment I had: my roadbike and training stand. My surgeon advised easy spinning as soon as possible, so I was on my bike 7 and 10 days after my respective surgeries (if memory stands).
Mounting the beast was a challenge, but I got help from my wife or kids for the first month or so. At the very beginning, I'd pre-clip shoes into pedals, use a stool, and have a helper to steady me and help swing my leg behind the seat and velcro my shoes shut. I started with no resistance for a couple weeks and gradually worked in resistance. I've forgotten the timeline, but I remember the accomplishment of getting on and off all by myself. The good news is that after a while, you'll be able to get your leg over the top tube with much ease with your shiny new resurfaced hip.
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM