+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: 7 weeks post op--no end in sight  (Read 12198 times)

nemuiko

7 weeks post op--no end in sight
« on: June 04, 2009, 01:23:16 PM »
I know the mantra on this site is just to be patient, but I am really getting scared about my financial situation.  I (perhaps stupidly) separated from my husband several months ago (part of the reason being I just couldn't handle the long walk to and from the train station and 3 flights of stairs every day).  A couple of months later (after moving in with a friend in a building with an elevator), the pain I'd been enduring for years became too intense for me to even walk and I decided to get the surgery.  I had to leave my new job and, as patient as I would like to be, I have real problems.  I am maxing out my credit card and running out of the cash I've borrowed from friends (my husband won't help me and my father lost almost everything in the stock market crash last year).  It rains every day here so I can't go out and get exercise and I really think I am losing my grip.  I have already had one massive dislocation.  Sometimes I go a whole week at a time without even showering because I can't be bothered to get out of bed.  This patience thing just isn't working for me.  I need to walk.  I need a job.  I am in Japan so there is no real emotional or financial support available.  I guess there's nothing I can do.  What can I do?  Kathleen

emaxwell

Re: 7 weeks post op--no end in sight
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 05:18:17 PM »
I am sorry to hear about all your problems, even without the hip issues it would be tough to stay upbeat. What was the cause of your dislocation and how far along post op were you?

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:13:40 AM »
Kathleen,

Sorry if I am slow on the uptake, but are you still having a lot of pain @ 7 weeks post op so bad that it keeps you in bed or are you fearful that you might dislocate again?  If you are still having pain what does your doctor say?  I will say this @ 7 weeks post-op IMHO you should not be suffering from pain so severe that you cannot get up.  I could see it if you were 10 days post-op, but not at your 7 weeks post-op.

You sound very down about your situation and I am sending lots of prayers and good thoughts your way, if you are having pain still I highly suggest that you contact your surgeon ASAP.  If you are in suffering depression tell your doctor ASAP.

My best wishes to you Kathleen,

Chuck

I know the mantra on this site is just to be patient, but I am really getting scared about my financial situation.  I (perhaps stupidly) separated from my husband several months ago (part of the reason being I just couldn't handle the long walk to and from the train station and 3 flights of stairs every day).  A couple of months later (after moving in with a friend in a building with an elevator), the pain I'd been enduring for years became too intense for me to even walk and I decided to get the surgery.  I had to leave my new job and, as patient as I would like to be, I have real problems.  I am maxing out my credit card and running out of the cash I've borrowed from friends (my husband won't help me and my father lost almost everything in the stock market crash last year).  It rains every day here so I can't go out and get exercise and I really think I am losing my grip.  I have already had one massive dislocation.  Sometimes I go a whole week at a time without even showering because I can't be bothered to get out of bed.  This patience thing just isn't working for me.  I need to walk.  I need a job.  I am in Japan so there is no real emotional or financial support available.  I guess there's nothing I can do.  What can I do?  Kathleen
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 05:45:41 AM »
Kathleen,
Here are my thoughts for you. First, get some clear guidance from your doctor about how active you can, and should, be at this point after your dislocation. If he is supportive of activity, start a regular daily routine to give you purpose and motivation. It may be as simple as doing a couple of sessions of exercises and therapy in the home every day at set times. If the doctor approves, it sounds like you need to get outside and walking, even if that is in the rain. Being patient, is not the same as being passive. Get some clear guidance from your doctor, and then use that guidance to get on a  regular schedule that makes you feel that you are moving forward, even if it is in small steps.
In response to your question, there is always something that you can do. At one point in my slow early recovery, I could not walk yet; so I crawled laps around my living room twice a day. I was not going anywhere fast, but I was moving forward.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

nemuiko

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »
Thank you for all the good thoughts and positive energy.  The dislocation happened 3 weeks post-op as a result of sitting on the ground in the park near my apartment (this was before the rainy season hit).  I WOULD walk around the apartment, but it's centrally located in Tokyo and therefore VERY small.  I can go two or three steps before I have to turn around and walk back.  On rainy days (which is pretty much every day) I do my exercises at home.  My doc has also told me it's OK to use just one of my crutches in the apartment so I've started doing that, which helps a bit (I can now carry a sandwich to my bedroom instead of sitting on the edge of the kitchen sink to eat it).  When I go outside though, I have to use two crutches so I can't carry an umbrella.  I would rather stay cooped up in here than get soaked to the bone and possibly slip on the wet pavement.  I've had to cancel a couple of physical therapy appointments because of the rain.  On the bright side, my hip does not hurt at all, just feels strange (but not as strange as it felt right after the surgery).  The depression is just depression because I can't work, I am losing money fast (try living in Tokyo when you are unemployed) and I can't move around freely, or sleep on my futon (my friend had to drag her bed into my room, which was awfully nice of her, but I miss sleeping on the floor).  Assuming I can find a job this summer, I will still be around $10,000 in debt.  I just got an amazingly timed credit card increase, so I can breathe a lot easier now.  After re-reading my gloomy initial post, I decided to go splurge and have my hair done.  An extremely helpful passerby helped me down the train station steps by carrying one of my crutches, my hair looks a million times better but, of course, by the time they were done with me, it was pouring outside and I had to shell out $30 for a taxi home.  I think things will be a lot better when summer comes.
Kathleen

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 02:45:14 PM »
Hi Kathleen

I wanted to tell you that I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers too.

I also understand how you feel and hope you will soon start to feel better.  I too put my $18,000 hip resurfacing on my credit cards.  It is now over 3 years post op and I have not been able to pay it down yet either.  I am now almost 65 and figure it will take me the rest of my life to pay off the credit cards.  So I just take it one day at a time and do the best I can.

Try to look ahead and know in your heart - things will get better.  That positive attitude will help more than any physical therapy.  Even a few happy thoughts each day out of many, many negative thoughts will start to help.

Stay in touch and I am glad you got out and had your hair done!  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

skyc6

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 11:49:09 PM »
Hi! I had my left hip resurfaced on May 28, 2009. 18 days. I am walking with a walker, but feel a tightness in the joint when I walk, which I think is normal. I have not a lot of stamina. I just wish someone could tell me for sure that in 6-8 weeks, I will be able to walk okay, even with a cane. Some days it is hard to keep up the walking pace, when it is easier and more comfortable to sit in a chair. I know that is not what I should be doing, but it is like chocolate...sometimes it looks so good, you can't help it! When I look back, I can see the improvement, but in the moments, I wonder if it will ever get easier! Do other people have this tightness or weakness on the operated side??  Mary

nemuiko

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 12:15:16 PM »
Pat...thank you again for your words of encouragement.  I think that what you are doing here is a selfless, amazing act.  This site has helped me immensely.

Mary, I know what you mean about the weakness.  I am just now (9 weeks post-op) STARTING to feel like my right leg is an appendage that belongs on my body.  I also (as of a couple of weeks ago) have started being able to lift my right leg without any assistance from my hand (doing physical therapy, getting in and out of taxis, etc.) so it seems the muscles are finally responding.  I am also (again, in the last couple of weeks) able to sleep on my right side without pain.  Three days ago I decided to make the long train journey to the suburbs to visit a friend.  The walk from her local station (about 1 km) up the hill/stairs to her apartment was so exhausting, I have spent the last couple of days in bed.  I used to be one of those people who LOVED to walk and weaved in out of Tokyo pedestrian traffic, but now they rush by me as I hobble around on my crutches.  According to my doctor, I have about another month of the crutches to go before I can start job hunting, going to the gym, etc. again.  It's still the rainy season here (it seems to last forever) so I still get out very rarely and had to cancel my hospital appointment the other day due to the rain.  Now I try to cheer myself up by reminding myself that summer is just around the corner and, when I sleep at night, I am not woken up constantly by the excruciating pain I used to have in my hip.  I can totally relate to your chocolate comment though...even on those rare sunny days I just find it easier to sleep 12 hours a night, wake up, take a sleeping pill and sleep another 6 hours.
Kathleen

UPwingnut

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 01:09:50 PM »
I'm 6 weeks out, doing PT and walking regularly. I've been very lucky and very careful. Any hint of discomfort in something new, and I stop. I'm petrified of going backwards in my recovery.
Obviously, the dislocation puts recovery in a different light, but just from reading your posts, it sounds like you're doing what I did for awhile. I tried to do WAY too much on a given day, then would sleep almost the entire next day. It was hard to learn to quit while I was ahead. I still have days where I do too much, and I still pay when I do. The other thing is sleep. In my hippy experience so far, I found that sleep was highly under discussed and very much not accounted for. I hated sleeping on my back, and couldn't get comfortable any other way (not even with the pillow between the knees). I mean sleep is critical to anyone's functioning and mood over time. I finally convinced my primary care doctor to give me one fill of a sleeper. It works in varying degrees on a given night, and I am finally able to sleep on my non-surgery side. The dreams are incredibly bizarre, but I guess I have to swap one for the other. So, anyway, short answer is this... take care of yourself, make sure you get whatever sleep you can, and do your exercise in smaller doses more regularly. As much as I wanted to go, go, go, I found absolutely NO advantage to going really hard one day and sleeping the whole next day. Good luck with your recovery. It WILL get better.
Take care,
Joe
May 11, 2009; Dr. Michael Tressler; Green Bay, WI

West106

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 10:14:23 PM »
Kathleen,

I think you need to start focusing on some of the positive, you did say in one of your postings that you are in less pain, and begin to focus your thoughts on moving forward.  There is a lot of work involved with getting your muscles on the mend, and while sleep is a big part, you also need activity.  Can you walk in the hall with your crutches in the apartment building?  I had my hip resurfaced on June 6, 2009; and I was told to make my recovery an active one.  Get moving and I think the rest may follow.  Do not let the credit card debt get you down, you have a whole lifetime to pay it back.  Best of luck with the job hunt, I will keep you in my thoughts. 

skyc6

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 11:16:44 PM »
Kathleen,
      It has been one week since I posted here. While it is very hard for me to see the progress from day to day, I can see progress from that post one week ago! For the past 2 days I have begun water exercises, and they do make me feel better. today, however, I think I did more in the water than before, and I am a little sore. Actually, it feels good to be a little sore--I think it means I am waking up muscles again and telling them to get busy! It is nearly 4 weeks for me, and I cannot use a cane. I am not going to worry about that because the walker is getting easier. If, at 6 weeks, I cannot use a cane some, I may rethink! Small steps...baby steps!
     I hope you are improving each day, as well. It is very easy to get down when you hear others talk. I was not an athlete before, so I am not expecting to be one now. I am expecting to heal at my own pace. My pain is less and less each day. That is what my body tells me. Hang in there! Keep moving a little, and your body will do the rest! Mary
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:18:51 PM by skyc6 »

Barbara

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 12:08:42 AM »
Is there an indoor mall nearby that you can go to Kathleen? They are good for walking around and getting exercise when the weathers bad outside  :)

Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
Yesterday at 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal