+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: fatigue after hip resuracing  (Read 1609 times)

sammyjojo

fatigue after hip resuracing
« on: June 18, 2009, 09:13:13 AM »
Hi,

I am a recent hip resurfacing patient.  The operation was done on June 1, 09 and it is now about 2 1/2 weeks since the surgery.  I seem to have a lack of energy.  I'm not sure if it is the surgery or my recent low iron level.  While in the hospital I had some blood transfusions.  I wonder how long the effect of "better" blood will last.  So either I'm tired because of the surgery or because of low iron levels (unless, of course my iron is still boosted by the transfusion, which means that it must be the surgery causing the fatigue).  Anyway, is it common to have low energy levels for many weeks after surgery?

John C

Re: fatigue after hip resuracing
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:50:56 PM »
My view is that this is your bodies way of telling you that it is directing its energy towards healing, and you should give it lots of rest. At 2 1/2 weeks, your body is in the midst of healing from a major trauma, so I would not be surprised if your body did not ask for at least a month of rest and healing time, before it has much energy for other tasks. Bodies are often wiser than minds about this sort of thing. :)

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

rossplanner

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:53:17 PM »
I was "fatigued" for a month or 2 after surgery. I went back to work (office job) about 3 weeks after surgery but I could only work a few hours or so due to being very tired.  I would come home after work and nap for an hour or so. It wasn't until 6 or 7 weeks after surgery that I could work full-time. I don't know exactly what caused the fatigue but my visiting nurse said it was normal.

Whit

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:31:22 PM »
This is my first post here....I went back to work today after having my left hip resurfaced on June 4.  I found myself totally exhausted around 1 or 2 this afternoon.  I came home and napped on the couch for about 45 minutes which seemed to help. I think the others are right.  Our bodies are working hard to heal us.
LBHR 06/04/2009 Dr. Ward
RBHR 01/14/2010 Dr. Ward

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM