+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: knee pain before hip resurfacing  (Read 2716 times)

sammyjojo

knee pain before hip resurfacing
« on: June 18, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »
I have had knee pain for years, many exams and pronouncements. I also had arthroscopic surgery scheduled to realign my patella.  Fortunately it was cancelled at the last minute.  When I finally started getting some competent attention to my aches, I was told that my knee was fine.  My hip was the problem.  Now I read these posts about people running after surgery.  I can't believe that.  I used to run but haven't in years, because of knee pain.  Are there other patients who have had a significant amount of knee pain before surgery?  There was more pain in my knee, than my hip, but my hip significantly restricted my range of motion. (Yoga positions were very one-sided!)

Lake girl

Re: knee pain before hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 11:53:12 AM »
I have end stage OA in my right hip. Bone on bone. That being said some days my right knee really feels it, sometimes the pain really radiates down my shin in waves. On those days I don't seem to feel it in my hip as much, but my good hip is starting to ache from my wonky gait. I actually just got a cane to help out with that. I just can't give up going for walks.  :)
Still on the waiting list

UPwingnut

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:37:19 PM »
I had opposite which I've now heard is very common; arthroscopic surgery x 2 on my right knee and now a left hip resurfacing.
May 11, 2009; Dr. Michael Tressler; Green Bay, WI

Jed

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:36:14 PM »
Had my right hip resurfaced 4 months ago. Long before that (40 years in fact) had the medial miniscus removed from each knee after rugby injuries. Also had scoping of my left knee 15 years ago after a partial ACL tear. That was my good knee and it was bone on bone then, with the surface of the bones pitted and red blood vessels showing. That said my knees, remarkably, do not unduly hurt and they certainly do not significantly limit my activities, other than sitting cross legged on the floor. By contrast when the hip started to go I was a bad tempered, pain ridden, good for nothing cripple. I'm no longer a cripple and the pain has gone. Isn't it great! Still working on the temper!

toroqu

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 11:07:49 AM »
I had my right hip resurfaced 8 months ago.  The year prior to my surgery I had minor but persistent pain in my right knee. It was affecting my sleep so I finally decided it was time to have my arthritic hip resurfaced. Since surgery my knee pain is completely gone. For the first time in 4 years I feel like running again.

Debbie

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:22:39 PM »
According to several doctors, the opposite knee and hip problem is reasonably common.  I had a triple meniscus repair and lateral release on my left knee in 2000.  I started to experience hip problems a few years later and it became unbearable about a year ago.  After a lot of research and finding this site, I had my right hip resurfaced a little less than three weeks ago.  I guess it is a reminder not to limp.

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 08:50:35 AM »
Hi all.

It was the pain in my right knee that made me see the consultant. The knee was fine, but I was diagnosed as having severe OA bone on bone.

Can't wait to get through HR op, so I can start my long distance running again.

Gavin
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

Debbie

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 04:00:58 PM »
Gav-Did you get it done yet?  A lot of running is one thing my physical therapist said I should not do if I want this to last.

Barbara

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 01:31:02 PM »
I had terrible knee pain prior to surgery. I too thought I had a knee problem but it turns out it was all coming from my hip. Apparently the hip and knee joints share the ileotibial band and referred pain to the knee is common with hip OA.
I'm happy to say that since having bilateral hip resurfacing I have had no knee pain.
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 04:29:01 AM »
Gav-Did you get it done yet?  A lot of running is one thing my physical therapist said I should not do if I want this to last.

My operation is on 4th September.

I have been trying to keep doing some running. Some days I can, and others I can't. When I recover, I hope to do some running to keep fit, so I might do some 10k runs for charity.

When I was training for my half marathon my speed didn't seem to improve and all the time I had a very tight groin.

Anyway I'm hoping that a few weeks inconvenience might put an end to it all.

Gavin
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

blmjumper

• Hope is not a strategy
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 10:20:38 AM »
I too had knee pain and thought the knee was damaged. After a MRI, it was determined the OA in my hip was also manifesting pain in my knee.

Got a resurfaced hip and I'm back running again w/o knee pain.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear