+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How did you learn to squat again?  (Read 2691 times)

dimples

How did you learn to squat again?
« on: June 20, 2009, 09:00:29 PM »
Does anyone have tips for learning how to squat again?  I am 14 months out, and because of the metabolic bone condition I have, the Dr. did not want me to squat for a year after my surgery (I think he was being WAY too conservative).  I work at a preschool and need to be able to squat so that I can tie shoes for my 4-year-olds.  Any tips?  I've tried holding onto something to get into the squating position, but my thigh muscles still feel weak when I try to pull myself back up and knees feel very stiff after not being able to squat for so long. On a positive note - the flexibility in my hip is good!  Am I the only one who struggles with this?
Delynn

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
Re: How did you learn to squat again?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 10:31:39 PM »
Hey Delynn,

Start conservatively with 1/4 and 1/2 squats and concentrate on using your glutes and pushing your knees out. You can also start doing this on the pool if you feel too weak. Increase your range of motion as you get stronger. Remember to use perfect form.  PM me if you'd like more info.

take care,

spencer

Tarhoo2

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 12:22:26 AM »
I have the same problem.  I have trouble squatting to read putts on the golf course.  I haven't worked on this yet, but perhaps doing squats using a Bosu Ball against a wall would help.  Any thoughts folks?

John C

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 12:47:07 AM »
Here is a trick that I used when I was a few weeks out, and working in the pool. Go to the steps that lead out of the pool, and use the pool edge or hand rail for stability. Start on the bottom step doing squats. The water will support much of your body weight, and the depth may limit you to a partial squat. If that is easy, go to the next step up, where the water will still support you during the deepest part of the squat, and you will be lifting more of your weight during the upper portion of the squat. As your strength builds, work your way up to the top step.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 12:31:10 PM »
The thing is to push up from your heels and don't let your knees collapse inward. A proper squat has your back maintaining a normal curve (no rounding) and glutes back.

spencer

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat