+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 20 days post op and loving life  (Read 2511 times)

Thudley

20 days post op and loving life
« on: June 23, 2009, 03:42:35 PM »
First of all, I'd like to thank all of those who have contributed to this "wealth" of information.  I had my left hip resurfaced by Dr Gross almost three weeks ago.  The funny thing about the whole process is that when Lee Webb (his nurse) asked me how I'd heard of them, I replied that the surface hippies I'd never met said good things about him.  Anyway the information is all very correct, I will elaborate on some items that made my case a little different.  I'm a very heavyset guy.  I played football, wrestled and participated in many contact sports.  I still am an avid skier (active ski patrol) and spend lot's of time in the summer hiking.  Like most people that view this site, I am very active (but carry much extra weight).  When we met on Tuesday June 2nd (day before surgery), he was impressed by my girth and said that I would be a "difficult surgery."  Well this was a little shocking to me and my wife as I had accurately reported my ht/wt when I sent in my original x-rays.  My wife asked "well what happens if you can't do the resurfacing?" and Dr Gross replied (as most of us know) "that he'd have to convert me to a total hip replacement."  We left the meeting with him saying he was 95% sure he could do it.  Needless to say there was a little more red wine consumed with dinner that evening then normal.  The next morning I'd be the first of 5 surgeries and needed to be at the hospital at 6:30am.

The next morning everyone at the hospital was very comforting, went in a little nervous as this was my first surgery ever.  Once they sedated me with the mystery elixer I knew I'd wake up with either a resurfacing or a replacement, but life was going to get better.  Dr Gross says that his operations normally last a little over an hour, mine took 2hrs 15 min.  He told my wife that it was the hardest one he'd done this year, but feels the acetabulum went in perfectly!  He is one of the best Drs I've ever worked with, he's honest, a listener, and honestly trying to make these surgeries work with parts from Biomet that he's designed.  I don't think many other surgeons could have pulled this difficult surgery off.  OK, I know I'm putting most of you to sleep so I'm going to outline why I think Dr Gross is on the leading edge of this surgery.

-everything from the hotel to the motel accomodations where superb
-the biomet uncemented femoral component may last longer (who knows)
-the spinal anesthesea was great, don't remember a thing, and woke up feeling pretty good
-the blood plasma that they put into the hip aids in quicker recovery.
-no staples, just this tape (steristrips) which meant I could take a shower on day two (most don't care about this, but with staples, I've heard of people having to wait two weeks.  I know I'd be pretty ripe if I couldn't shower for two weeks!)
-With good bone density you can go on a crutch for a week, and then a cane for a week (DEXA scan)
-Drive home two days post op, or fly home day three.
-They have this air powered ice machine that keeps a bladder really cold for recovery, I wish I knew what it was called, but very important for keeping the swelling down

Just some things to weigh before you pull the trigger.

Just some notes on my recovery:
-Walked with a walker 5 hours after surgery
-on two crutches days two and three (negotiating steps, etc)
-day 8 graduated to a cane
-day 14 walked a half mile without cane (must admit I overdid it)
-ridding the stationary bike everyday for 30 min
-day 18 walked a mile

for those of you who are just putting it off for another ski season, or hunting season, send in your x-rays to get a consult.  You will feel at home with Dr Gross and staff.  Good luck!

Kirk Gallagher

MarilynRS

Re: 20 days post op and loving life
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 09:27:41 PM »
Thanks, Kirk and all others --  again and again for sharing your experiences -- the good, the bad, the ugly, the wonderful, the magic of life re-discovered.  I will be going to Dr. Gross in 2-1/2 weeks now, for bilateral Jul 13 and Jul 15. 

It feels like going to the top of a cliff and diving, which my temperament would not prefer to do by choice.  But this is my choice now, there is no other -- other than a wheel chair!  Reading and hearing of person after person diving in and "coming out the other side" has helped so very much.  It's total therapy.  I may read these testimonials right up to surgery time!!

Anybody else going to be there in SC those days?  Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

hmcraig

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 02:16:33 PM »
I am 12 days post op from Dr. Gross on my left hip.  I started using the cane yesterday around the house and in my yard.  Seems to be going pretty well, but there is still pain at night when I sleep and the swelling is still an issue.  My quads are still really sore.  Is that typical?  I also have a stationary bike but have yet to use it.  Maybe I'll give it a shot this week.  Anyway, I look forward to time passing so I can continue to improve.
Marshall
Marshall Craig

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:55:09 PM »
Marshall you are in that period that Lee always talks about, things are going to get better and better.  You are doing really well on a cane 12 days post op, you will have some soreness, remember your hip was opened up pretty wide and lots of things were cut.

If you are still sore, ice ice ice ice elevate elevate elevate.

Also, if you are sore I would leave the stationary bike alone, do your phase I excercises and WALK.

You're doing fine.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

jaze

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 10:34:41 PM »
hello all, dr gross and the gang did my left hip 11/2007 (doing great) AND DID MY RIGHT HIP 7/8/2009 SO I AM 16 DAYS POST. THINGS ARE PROGRESSING NICELY, WALKED A MILE AND A HALF TODAY AROUND EVERGREEN LAKE WITH OUT A CANE OR CRUTCH BEEN WALKING EVERDAY SINCE SURGERY AND DOING POST OP EXERCISES 2X A DAY FOR 30 MINUTES EA.  ( THIS IS THE KEY ) WILL BE RETURNING TO WORK THIS MONDAY . I CANT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THE EXPERTISE OF THIS FINE SURGEON , IT WAS WELL WOTH THE EXTRA EXSPENSE OF TRAVEL... CHEERS TO ALL AND GOOD LUCK

CeeJay15

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 12:41:14 PM »
I am now 10 days post op. I'm doing my PT exercises twice a day for about 30 minutes each time. Every day I see improvement. Right after surgery it seemed like my quad muscles just forgot how to fire. I could not lift my leg up and started out with a shuffle. What a difference 10 days make!
My incision is still sore, so I'm still taking Percocet, but cut it down to 1/2 a tablet every 6 hours. I take Tylenol PM before bed and finally found a comfortable back-sleeping position. (The secret seems to be to elevate your legs using 2 pillows.)
I am going to return to work Monday and am looking forward to not being home all day. I have a very understanding boss, since he had this same procedure done about 8 weeks ago!
cj
Carolyn
Right BHR Dr. Rector July 15, 2009

bothdone

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »
Hi CJ

I agree with the pillows under your legs.   I did that with both my BHRs and found it comfortable.  I think it anchors your position quite well.   I'd suggest the pillows are placed so your heels don't rest on them but are in "free air".  That should help prevent bed sores on the heels.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

MarilynRS

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 01:24:12 AM »
 :)  I'm 3.5 weeks out for my bilateral re-surfacing (CeeJay, we're cohorts -- I did Jul 13 and 15) and I love pillows too for sleeping.  I've never used so many pillows, LOL.  Yes, under legs -- thighs, knees, calves, different places as positions change a bit through the night while I'm on my back.  Sometimes yes under bottom a bit too to elevate.  Yes, to the outside of thighs so they can relax a bit outwards now if one or the other side would like that.  Yes, thick one between knees if I lie for a bit on one side or another to prevent mid-line crossing.  Yes, under my tummy, chest, thighs and calves if I lie face-down. 

Congratulations to all of us who are getting better and better.  I have retained canes for walking distances (exercising) because I perceive that my gait is much more even, I can use longer more fluid strides, and there is no wobble from side to side.  I did about 1-1/4 miles two days ago.  It feels good!  Amazing!  If I try that without my canes, I can lapse back into the "march of the penguins" mode, which I do not want to reinforce one little bit again.  I want to reprogram my body and brain to a true bilateral mode of walking.  After almost a year using two canes before surgeries, I really don't care if I take a few more weeks to retrain and rebuild whatever needs it to be able to walk properly. 

But I am feeling stronger and more likely to walk around the house with smaller, concentrated proper moving steps.  Fun!  I love walking again!!!!!   Yeah!!  I had not wanted to get my hopes up too high too soon, but this is so great    :)  Good night for now,  Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

CeeJay15

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 09:19:25 AM »
"March of the penguines"! What an apt description!! How true. I only had the right hip done - and here is a shout out to all of you bilaterals - I applaud you! I can't imagine having two done at once!!
I am walking with one cane and it seems like I lean a bit too much on it even though it's probably not necessary. My PT gal - Stephanie - said the best thing to do is to concentrate on even weight bearing on both legs. It is SO hard since I did the penguin march for so many years!
I am headed to the pool this morning for some PT - I am lucky to have a place that gives me a free pool and gym pass for the entire time that I am a PT patient. The pool is heated to 90 degrees specifically for rehab. This will be my first time.

Best to all!

cj
Carolyn
Right BHR Dr. Rector July 15, 2009

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat