+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another Surfing Question for Hippies deep into recovery....  (Read 3565 times)

hiphurts

Here's my question for you guys/gals who are fully recovered or nearly so from resurfacing: can you ever get back to a smooth and quick and pain-free "pop up" that is so critical for surfing??? Staggering to my feet isn't my vision of getting back into surfing.

I am 6 months past unsuccessful FAI surgery due to moderate   arthritis in my right hip, and Hip Resurfacing appears to be my next stop on the surgery train. 45 yrs old, fit, and haven't surfed in a year due to pain. Surfing is far and away the thing I most want to return to, but after getting sold a bill of goods by my FAI surgeon, I REALLY want to know what to expect going forward.

Any valid/truthful feedback would be very much appreciated!

B.I.L.L.

Re: Another Surfing Question for Hippies deep into recovery....
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 04:23:26 AM »
Here's my question for you guys/gals who are fully recovered or nearly so from resurfacing: can you ever get back to a smooth and quick and pain-free "pop up" that is so critical for surfing??? Staggering to my feet isn't my vision of getting back into surfing.

I am 6 months past unsuccessful FAI surgery due to moderate   arthritis in my right hip, and Hip Resurfacing appears to be my next stop on the surgery train. 45 yrs old, fit, and haven't surfed in a year due to pain. Surfing is far and away the thing I most want to return to, but after getting sold a bill of goods by my FAI surgeon, I REALLY want to know what to expect going forward.

Any valid/truthful feedback would be very much appreciated!

I am 9 months out and have tried to surf  2-3 days a week for a little over a month now.  Still can't "pop up" but I am getting closer, some days more than others. I'm riding a 10 footer a san onofre and have had 2-3 "Real" waves even though I was S - L - O - W   getting to my feet.....  Not there yet, but still making progress.  It's a little better every couple weeks so......sooner or later

peteuk

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »
hi hiphurts , i would say that if you have a successfull resurfacement after you have recovered there should be no reason at all that you won/t be able to surf , the joint will certainly be capable of it but the muscles etc may take a bit more time to supple up , obviously the more pt you can do to help the situation the better everthing will be ,

if you look at your situation now ,you said you hav/nt been able to surf because of pain etc, once the hip is sorted out and pain free you will be back to where you where before and surfing will be no problem,

i don/t think jumping to your feet puts very much demand at all on your hip joint at all ,so from my experiance i would get your hip sorted out and return to what you enjoy doing as quick as you can,

i make boards for a hobby   http://www.seawindsurf.blogspot.com    , take care . pete

hiphurts

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:46:56 AM »
Thanks for the reply guys I appreciate it! 3 weeks out from resurfacing and I'm psyched....i bodysurfed the Hurricane Bill swell here on the East Coast but there's no substitute for being on a board!

Hiphurts

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal