+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Up for surgery again!  (Read 1640 times)

hughstjust

Up for surgery again!
« on: June 26, 2009, 03:09:32 PM »
In September 2007 I had a very successful BHR resurfacing on my right hip by a 1st Class orthopaedic surgeon. 2 years on with my left hip increasingly causing chronic pain and disability I have just revisited my doc once again - thinking that I'd resurface the left hip.

Imagine my disapointment when after the X ray I was adbised that a BHR was not recommended as there was evidence of bone on bone which would require a cementing to fix the head of the femur. Such cementing was not advisable and I have now been told that a full hip replacement would be needed with the insertion of a hardened plastic cup into the hip and a ceramic head on top of a metal insert into the head of the femur.

Woe is me! Am I completely finished as I sail and cycle and this and all other activity of a seasoned 64 year old may be lost.

I am told such a full hip replacement is advised by NICE for the over 65s anyway and has as much longevity as a resurface. ???

Tarhoo2

Re: Up for surgery again!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 09:47:22 AM »
I obviously don't know the specifics of your case, but would suggest that you seek a second opinion.  I'm not sure that cementing the femoral head prosthesis is such a big deal.

In the end, if a THR is required it's still much better than suffering through the pain.

triathloner

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »
Hang in there, I'm not sure about sailing, but you will still be able to cycle regularly.  I have an uncle who is 76 and had a thr 15 years ago and just had his second thr on the other side in April and he is back to cycling.  He's been doing it for years and was doing 50-70 mile rides last summer. 
left biomet Dr. Gross 10-22-08

Gailw

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:22:26 PM »
Hi.  I don't see why you wouldn't be able to sail and cycle with a THR!  You might want to ask your surgeon about a cup liner of metal rather than the hardened PE.   Both metal and PE are highly effective bearing surfaces, but a metal liner would allow a larger femoral head and theoretically a more stable joint for an active person.  I believe the current thinking is that uncemented implants have a better chance at longevity vs. cemented.  Also, you should consider getting a second opinion from another Dr. who specializes in resurfacings.  Some do free online consults.  All the best to you in your decision and eventual surgery.  The pain relief is wonderful.
Gail   

sunny

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »
Hey, I will be joining you soon.  I am now 65 and had my hip resurfacing 8 months ago.  I have no cartilage in either side.  However, next up will be thr on the right, I am quite sure of that.  I haven't seen my Doc yet, I am holding off for awhile, at least as long as I can.  Let me know how you do.  I do know people younger and older than us and they are doing just fine.  Up and about and doing their normal duties.  Good luck and let me know how you do.      sunny

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat