+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Siiting or lying down best position.  (Read 2087 times)

msmith

Siiting or lying down best position.
« on: June 28, 2009, 01:23:08 PM »
Hi,

Which in the best position to be in while in the early stages of recovery, to be sat in a chair, or lying down/reclining on sofa/bed etc.

I ask this because earlier, my right ankle was hurting, and after lying down for a bit that helped?

West106

Re: Siiting or lying down best position.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 04:31:19 PM »
Hi - I am three weeks post OP; and for the first two weeks I spent most of my time after surgery on a bed with my legs straight out, or in a recliner chair (I rented one because I was very uncomfortable sitting in a regular chair).  Good luck with your recovery.

John C

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 05:43:42 PM »
Beds or recliners are good at first. Chairs are not good, because they allow fluids to accumulate down around the foot and ankle, as you discovered.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

msmith

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 05:48:40 PM »
Thanks, I was just about to add an addendum, about my foot has swollen up again.

Heading to bed, to rest up.

HSWrestlingCoach

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 07:25:14 PM »
I had a chair with arms and my recliner right next to one another and I rotated back and forth for the first 10 days. I felt the recliner I got the best rest but would stiffen up so I  would switch over to the regular chair.
boettner rbhr june 6, 2009

triathloner

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 10:26:49 AM »
I spent the good part of the first week or two in a recliner, it felt great.  My Dr. (Dr. Gross) taught me to do foot pumps regularly at first, every 20 minutes I would just flex the foot at the ankle for 20 reps.  I also believe you should move around every 45 minutes.  Gets the blood flowing and if you don't have weight restrictions it's good for your hip as well to get a little indoor exercise.  Don't cheat on your walking/rehab either, put in the time just don't over do it.  good luck, it gets a lot better fast, I'm 8 months along and feel great!
left biomet Dr. Gross 10-22-08

Whit

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:52:10 PM »
I spent the first couple of weeks mostly reclining.  I could adjust my position as I needed.  I found myself walking a good bit one day then being totally exhausted in the recliner the next.  This "on again, off again" process seemed to work well.  I amazed at how quickly I am recovering.  I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op. I returned to work last week and am down to using my cane only when I have a good distance to walk.

Hang in there...you will do great!
LBHR 06/04/2009 Dr. Ward
RBHR 01/14/2010 Dr. Ward

rickt

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 09:28:41 PM »
 ::) Hi rickt here i am a special one because i can not sit long at all   I would get up in the morning walk for a wile then exercise sit in chair with pillow then back to bed to lay on my stomach with my feet of the end of the bed for me that was the most comfy with ice packs for the first two weeks gradually up on my feet longer less in bed longer walking   5.5 weeks post and now walking 2 miles and carrying a Cain  for support      good luck

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear