+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: OVERACTIVITY TOO SOON?  (Read 2703 times)

DRBIRD

OVERACTIVITY TOO SOON?
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:09:55 PM »
    I had resurfacing using the direct anterior approach June 4. I  now walk without a cane with only a slight waddle and at a slow pace. After sitting for too long sometimes I'll still use it .  After the surgeon told me there were no restrictions to my actvity. just not to overdo it and only if it  was bothering me too much, I played golf after two weeks. I hardly felt any pain or soreness. Since then I've played golf  riding a golf cart four more times and  have gone to the gym several times to fo core and leg exercises,.
      My question is since with the J&J ACH DePuy system, the cup is not cemented, can it come loose with too  much vigorous activity too soon? Does the bone need time to integrate to the cup when it is not cemented. Do the other systems have an uncemented head?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: OVERACTIVITY TOO SOON?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 09:15:24 AM »
Hi
All acetabular cups used in hip resurfacing surgery, regardless of hip device, are not cemented.  It is standard practice.  Most surgeons don't recommend vigorus activity until about 6 months until new bone growth has occured.  Again, you should always ask your own surgeon about what he will allow and when. So yes, it takes time for new bone growth to attach to the porous surface of the acetabular cup.  The cup has been press fitted into the hip and should not move if placed properly, but it does take time for bone growth.

Pat

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 08:44:42 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DRBIRD

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 08:32:55 PM »
Thanks Pat. I'll call him again and ask him if he thinks golf might affect the bone growth around the cup. I have discarded the cane and sometimes walk with a small limp  but only after sitting too long. I'm now at the almost one month mark. I did go bike riding two days ago and had no pain. I usually have some pain only while in bed and probably from turning too quickly.

Whit

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 01:35:06 PM »
It sounds like your recovery is going extremely well.  Congratulatons!  I have a question: If you are golfing, was your surgery on the your "back" leg?  I am right handed and had my left BHR 4 1/2 weeks ago.  Although, like you, I am cane free now, I cannot imagine golfing at this point.  Also, how did the bicycling go?  I am dying to get back on my road bike.

Just wondering.
LBHR 06/04/2009 Dr. Ward
RBHR 01/14/2010 Dr. Ward

DRBIRD

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:14:14 PM »
It's just over one month since my hip resurfacing now. This week I played golf four days in a row and just hit balls today. My resurfacing was on my right hip and I'm right handed. I don't use the cane at all anymore, however after sitting too long or getting up and down too much, I do feel sore and initially walk with a limp for a few minutes. I was only able to ride a bike by first putting it almost on the ground to get my leg over the bar. I felt it somewhat on my right hip and moreso on my left hip which is going to need resurfacing probably in a year or two.
        My fast recovery in my opinion has been without a doubt due to having the direct anterior approach to surgery. The gluteous muscles and the external rotator muscles are not cut , which will help prevent dislocation and both which are used in sports like golf. Dr Joel matta explains this in the doctor's section on approaches on this web site.
         Good luck on your recovery. Unfortunately my golf score hasn"t improved yet.

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:29:09 PM »
Thats good news.

My op is scheduled for 4th September and I try to play golf.

I'd almost written off playing again this year after the surgery.

Mind you the British weather is awful anyway.

I might be better of sticking to a sensible gym rehab!!! ???
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat