+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Durom Cup recall  (Read 6243 times)

jchadola

Durom Cup recall
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:09:55 PM »
I had the Durom cup implanted in my right hip in 2006 and my left hip in 2007 by Dr. Garbuz in Vancouver at UBC.  Does anyone know if the Durom cup has been recalled in Canada and should I be worried.  Both resurfacings were very successful except the scars look ugly.

Janice
Durom Cup 2006 and 2007 Dr. Garbuz

Lake girl

Re: Durom Cup recall
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:11:24 PM »
I don't know about the Durom device, but I'm trying to get a referral to the UBC surgery centre. How did it go with Dr Garbuz? Were you happy with him, or would you go for a different surgeon if you had to do it again?

I've been on the waiting list for surgery for 6 months and I've gotten to the point where I can barely bend or lean over without paying for it. So I'm ready to travel the 8 hours for this surgery. I can't wait to start living my life again.
Still on the waiting list

kb134

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:18:35 PM »
Hi!
A response to Janet - I've had the Durom Hip Resurfacing device implanted by Dr Garbuz on May 20th, 2008.  I am in the process of discovering all the issues with my hip - 1st, he notched my femur-neck, and 2nd, the Acetabular Cup has come loose.  Actually, it was never fully seated anyway, so it has always been loose, and migrating.
Do you have pain?  What are your symptoms?  I know that Dr Garbuz and his colleagues have ceased using the Durom Hip, both the resurfacing and the large diameter head MoM device as of approx. September of last year.  I have not found any info regarding a Durom Acetabular Cup in Canada, though, we all know about the USA recall.

Lake Girl,
Do you need a new hip?  Who has reffered you?  What are your issues - apart from being able to bend over?  Is it Arthritis - Osteo/Rheumatoid?  What about your age?  Are you trying to specifically get a resurfacing?
UBC/VGH doctors had stopped advocating the resurfacing procedure, in favour of THR's using ceramic or cross-linked polyethylene.

kb134

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 06:26:28 PM »
Also, they will implant a resurfacing device - they now have gone back to using the "gold-standard" Birmingham Hip, but one has to pay for the device - aprox $4,000.
MSP covers a THP.  I do not know about other insurance avenues through employment, etc.
http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=1275.0
With that link, you will read about my experience with Dr Garbuz.
I do need a revision.  I do not trust Dr Garbuz or his colleagues to do the job.

kb134

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 06:30:51 PM »
Janice,
in reading, again, your post, I am led to think that your hips are fine!  I hope that that is indeed the case.  If you do not have any issues with your hips - pain, discomfort, limitations etc, I would say do not worry.  Have you had any recent issues/X-rays that have led you to think that you might have a problem?

kb134

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 06:36:19 PM »
Lake Girl,
I think it is very important that you ask a lot of questions to whichever doctor that you do end up seeing regarding your hip/hips.  Here's a link -

http://www.surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php

I did not have this when I had my pre-surgery consultation ...
learn from my mistake.
Ask until you are satisfied.  This is your Hip.

Lake girl

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 09:32:22 PM »
Hi there KB134, I'm 36 I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right hip 4 years ago. April 2008 it was really bugging me so I went to see my GP and I got new x-rays done. My Dr looked at them and referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon. I'm up in northern BC where there is only a handful of orthos. Needless to say I had to wait 9 months just to see him. So Jan 09 I got more x-rays and saw the surgeon. Right away he told me that I was bone on bone end stage OA, and that I should get my hip resurfaced. Well I was blown away. I had no idea that it was that bad. I think that I have a high pain threshold because all I had been taking was tylenol arthritis a couple times a week. He suggested a MOM device, didn't say what brand. I didn't have a list of surgery related questions ready, so didn't know what to ask.

I was told after my appt to expect a wait of about one year before I could get the surgery. I called his office a couple weeks ago to see where I was sitting on the list. They told me that it wasn't going to happen in Jan 2010 like I was hoping. Instead if I'm lucky it would be June 2010 or Jan 2011. Well I'm really not into waiting that long. My hip has been deteriorating rather quickly lately, and if I wait much longer I don't how I would be able to take care of the kids. Plus I've heard talk about hips being too far gone for resurfacing and I don't want a THR at this time in my life.

So I've got an appt with my GP for a referral to a different surgeon, preferrably one in Vancouver with alot of experience. I haven't been told by any Drs that resurfacing isn't covered by MSP. And I'm sure that they would be upfront about that.

I'm off on a week long holiday tomorrow so if I don't reply right away that's the reason.

Lake girl
Still on the waiting list

kb134

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »
Hi!
You've had a rough time!  I am sorry to hear about that.  But don't be discouraged!  Yes, it does hurt.  I don't have the magic answers - but I can encourage you to keep mobile, as best as you can, whenever you can!  Pain can stop a person, but this is a little different.  You need to keep your hips strong and active, even if they are bone on bone.  Whether its work in the pool, or riding a bike/stationary bike - non full-weight bearing exercise.  How is your current health?  How is your weight and eating habits?  The thing is, you are in a period of waiting and so use this time as a period, however you can, to better yourself.  Trust me, its good for you mind, body and spirit to do something positive.  You wouldn't be doing any more damage :)
As far as Resurfacing, yes, don't take a THR as the final answer.  If you have good bone stock/density there should be no issue.  The thing is, you need to get referred to AN EXPERIENCED surgeon.  I cannot tell you how many resurfacings my surgeon has done.  I know some have been successful, some have not.  Mine wasn't.  My femur-neck was also notched - a sure sign of surgeon error.  Is it a sign of inexperience?  I don't know.  I can only tell you of my experience, and so you must choose - spend the money to come down to Vancouver, or spend it to go elsewhere.  Do your research.  Contact Pat Walter, the amazing woman who runs this site and ask her questions.  Check out
http://www.surfacehippyinfo.com/    ...  in my experience, the doctors here do not have faith or even a passion for the benefits for resurfacing! 

Jed

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 07:29:29 PM »
Lakegirl, I was in a similar situation, out east in Nova scotia. I went to John Antoniou in Montreal who is excellent. He has also done numerous patients from BC.  I only had to wait a couple of months to see him and then 5 months for the resurfacing operation. He uses the ASR system not the durom. Whilst I was in hospital there was a yong fellow in his 20s being resurfaced due to a congenital problem. His assitant Maria also takes care of all the  out of province insurance issues. It was a great experience for me and last week, 4 months after my operation, I went with my wife on a 4 day canoe trip, including lots of portages. Admittedly she carried the 70 pound canoe but I did some of the packs. I could not have imagined doing this 12 months ago.
You can find out about Dr. Antoniou at http://orthodoc.aaos.org/antoniou/
Good luck,
Jed

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat