+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 8 week follow up  (Read 5829 times)

UPwingnut

8 week follow up
« on: July 08, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »
Well, I'm within 3 days of 8 weeks and just saw my doctor today. I saw the x-rays via computer even before he came in, and so I knew they looked great. He came in, had me walk around and move around a bit, sat back in his chair, smiled and shook his head. He said that in general, his experience with hip resurfacing has shown amazing recovery times, and even more often with active folks. He likes my thought process of breaking down an exercise and trying it at its least intrusive, lowest risk place, and then going forward. If I feel discomfort, stop immediately and know that I'm not ready. An example is golf. I started putting, then pitching, then irons and some woods. I could try an easy drive, but I don't want to yet. I do my rehab religiously and I walk a half hour almost every day, usually with one of my two German Shepherds. As of today, my doc gave me a go ahead to try skating and biking. I told him I will try only forward skating, no backwards, no pivots, no crossovers the first time out. I can also try biking if I have no discomfort. Sounds like the hardest part to be the most careful with, is getting on, so I will get help with that. ANY feedback on either of these would be appreciated. I'm very excited!! I still battle with getting my left shoe tied, but can do it. I'm still careful with lots of things like getting in and out of the car, turning to go the other way, and I'm not lifting much of anything.
Oh, and last but WAY most important, I talk to God every day, because I feel VERY blessed. Again, ANY feedback on first time out skating or biking, would be greatly appreciated.
May 11, 2009; Dr. Michael Tressler; Green Bay, WI

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
Re: 8 week follow up
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 11:37:37 AM »
Hey UP,

Congratulations on your recovery! For biking, you're right the most difficult part is getting on and off. When getting on, tilt the bike toward you and let it go as low as it needs to for you to clear it with your operated side. Then get on and ride easy an easy, flat route. Go with an easy gear and spin at around 80-90 rpm. Don't try and push it until you build a base and increase the length of your ride by small increments over the next several weeks. Listen to your body and you'll be hammering soon. Best of Luck!

spencer

UPwingnut

Re: 8 week follow up
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:15:04 PM »
Spencer
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm going to try it this weekend and will have help, but I really appreciate the input!!
Thanks!!
Joe
May 11, 2009; Dr. Michael Tressler; Green Bay, WI

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat