+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 Days Post-Op  (Read 1813 times)

TriGuy

6 Days Post-Op
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »
Dr. Keggi performed my anterior RT hip resurfacing last Tuesday at Waterbury, CT hospital.  I came home from the hospital on Friday.  I am on a cane and doing fine.  Walked to the mailbox (100 yards) yesterday several times and doing the basic exercises.  Not much pain and swelling is normal.  He is an excellent surgeon and his staff is superb.  Finally, the staff at Waterbury Hospital is also top notch!

CeeJay15

Re: 6 Days Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 01:09:58 PM »
Good luck on your road to recovery! My operation is in two days. I can't wait to be on the other side!
Carolyn
Right BHR Dr. Rector July 15, 2009

UPwingnut

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:32:10 PM »
Dr. Keggi performed my anterior RT hip resurfacing last Tuesday at Waterbury, CT hospital.  I came home from the hospital on Friday.  I am on a cane and doing fine.  Walked to the mailbox (100 yards) yesterday several times and doing the basic exercises.  Not much pain and swelling is normal.  He is an excellent surgeon and his staff is superb.  Finally, the staff at Waterbury Hospital is also top notch!
Sounds excellent so far. Just keep plugging away and you'll notice improvements on a regular basis. I did a lot of driveway walking (as tolerated) and believe it led to dumping my crutch quicker. Be careful, but keep moving as you can. Keep us up to speed!! Hope things keep going well.
Take care,
joe
May 11, 2009; Dr. Michael Tressler; Green Bay, WI

TriGuy

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:22:28 PM »
Will do Joe...thanks!

MarilynRS

Great discovery about new sleeping possibilities !!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »
Hi Everyone  :)   I'm on the other side!!  Bilateral surgeries done 7/13 and 7/15 with Dr. Gross. 

From the first walk the day after side one was done and I experienced how incredibly solid my new hip felt vs the one still yet to be done, I knew this simultaneous experience was the right choice for me.  And at one week out from the first surgery, stairs were easier than before! 

But the reason I am writing now is I made a wonderful discovery for myself last night.  As many have commented on, it's tough to sleep on your back and not be able to turn over... only works the first day or two with the narcotics.  I've been lying wrapped in my polar packs, legs cushioned by pillows, but last night ......  AGH.  I wanted to be suspended by a gentle net in some other way.... 

So I decided to lie down face first on my bed.  I sort of push-up-style let myself down, and then "scooched" upward to the head of the bed.  I had placed some pillows to fluff up my thighs, stomach, and chest so that my neck could drop forward and be gently supported, and then my husband placed some more pillows under my calves so as not to strain my knees.  Ah... 

Such delight I could not believe.  From that position, I could even twist a bit to either side to vary the positions more.  Never violating 90 degrees, never crossing midline, never turning inward -- my three precautions. 

This morning, I scooched back down to the base of the bed, pushed up, and used my legs to rise.  My husband was in place to help because I really wasn't sure if it would work without passing the 90 degree mark, but it worked fine!! 

So for at least part of future nights, I will be doing this again until such time as I can stand to roll ---  and maybe longer because I won't worry about that midline position which I might not quite know during the night. 

Hope this might help some other back-uncomfortable fellow Hippy  :)   Blessings, Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

CeeJay15

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »
Marilyn -

I might just love you - what a great idea. I too am 6 days post op - one hip only though. I can't wait to try sleeping that way! I HATE sleeping on my back.

Thanks!!

cj
Carolyn

CeeJay15

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 02:05:08 PM »
OK - I tried the stomach sleeping thing last night and was terrified that my leg would turn in while I slept. Scared myself out of staying in this position and spent the night miserably trying to sleep on my back, finally getting up and sleeping in the damn recliner again. Everything is going so great except for this back sleeping nightmare. I have not had a full night's sleep in over a week. I'm 7 days post op today.

cj
Carolyn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat