+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Diminished activity level and weight gain pre-op  (Read 1498 times)

jj76751

Diminished activity level and weight gain pre-op
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:21:41 PM »
I am new to this site and hope to get some insight.  Due to the pain my activity level has diminished quite a bit.  I am a construction worker but I am currently laid off.  I used to get up at 2 a.m work out and then I had to be on the road by 4 a.m. because I have a 2 hour commute.  As the pain has gotten worse I have gained some weight.  I'm wondering if I should go ahead with the surgery even though I'm overweight.  Has anyone had a longer recovery because of these kind of issues?

Thanks

Judy

kb134

Re: Diminished activity level and weight gain pre-op
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:14:01 AM »
Hi Judy!  Welcome to this site!  Check out Pat's intro and other videos if you haven't already.  There is a wealth of information on here.  Use it!
Just to clarify - is the pain you are experiencing hip pain? (I'm sure it is cuz you're here)
What stage, in relation to hip surgery, are you?  Do you have a surgery date, (which means that you've seen a surgeon and are in the midst of the "fun" waiting game?) 

I am not medically trained, but this I do know: as a person "responds" to arthritic pain, usually by not moving the arthritic joint or as little as possible, muscles and the surrounding support network do begin to atrophy and weaken.  It is imperative, to push through the pain and discomfort of arthritis, to keep as much strength, range-of-motion, and vitality in that specific joint, and in your (our) case your hip(s).  It also gives one a sense of proactivity in fighting back against the disease, which does a body, mind, spirit good. 
Some people deal with pain - any kind - by overeating or eating a lot of junk food. 
And if you're not working presently, that can leave you with a lot of extra time and space to fill with eating ....
What has your doctor said regarding your weight?
That said, who is your doctor?  Is he experienced?  With heavier patients?

http://www.surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php   

Can you swim?  Can you ride a stationary bike?  Your family Doc could tell you which NSAID's to take to help combat inflammation. 
The way I saw it, before my surgery, was, your joint is going to be replaced anyway, so why not burn the piss out of it? (I know, easier said than done!  But it is possible!)
Get support if you need it! Any weight loss will be in your favour! 
I hope something I've said here helps.
Cheers.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Diminished activity level and weight gain pre-op
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 04:06:54 PM »
Hi Judy

Welcome to Hip Talk.

I am sorry to hear about our hip problems.  You will find a lot of nice people here on Hip Talk that will answer questions and give you  support.

Many people gain weight when they have hip problems, knee problems or back problems.  It just happens since you become very inactive.

Weight gain would not be a good reason to cancel surgery or not consider it.  Some less expeirnced surgeons might not want to give you a resurfacing, but most of the really expeirnced hip resurfacing surgeons will do people that are overweight.  You will have a diffiuclt time losing weight if you can't be active.

Some of the top surgeons have done some very overweight people.  So if you are having problems finding an expeirnced surgeon, look at my list and choose the very expeirnced surgeons.  Having extra weight means you will help your bones regain more bone density since your walking will be more weight bearing than someone that is in the normal weight range. I have had several of the top hip resurfacing surgeons say that you can increase your bone density after resurfacing by walkingl

I hope you can find a solution to your hip problems.  Please keep in touch and Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat