+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: recliners + other supplies post surgery?  (Read 5555 times)

lizzie

recliners + other supplies post surgery?
« on: July 31, 2009, 03:32:23 PM »
I'm scheduled for first resurfacing with Dr. Su in NYC August 21, and I'm wondering about what things I need at home for recovery.
I've seen several people here talking about recliners, and some mention the LaFuma, which is a portable and relatively inexpensive option. I don't much want to get a more permanent recliner in my NYC apartment, but I do want something to be comfortable, and perhaps to sleep.
I've never seen an actual LaFuma recliner (only photographs online), but I'm slightly concerned that it may be unstable and hard to get into after surgery.  Also, wondering whether having a thick cushion (how thick? 3"? 6"?) would be helpful for this recliner. Any thoughts on this? 
Also, I have a sectional sofa, but I've heard this might not be a good thing to sit on--at least in the beginning.
Other stuff: shower chair? My bathrooms have bathtubs, so that's going to be quite an obstacle in the beginning, I imagine. Grab bars are not an option, however.  I suppose I'll have to grab the sink, which is next to the shower/tub. 
But might a shower chair be useful?
I'd be grateful for any thoughts about any of the above, or other things.
I would also welcome any thoughts or comments on Dr. Su and his staff, and HSS in NYC.
Thanks!
08/21/09 LBHR, Dr. Su; 11/20/09 RBHR, Dr. Su

fedup

Re: recliners + other supplies post surgery?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:57:13 PM »
Regarding supplies required after surgery: a grab bar can be clamped on to the side of a bath tub. Bath benches with transfer extension are a bit big and I found that by the time my incision was healed I could get by with just a small bench or patio chair and hand held shower. It needs to be high enough so that you don't bend your hip past 90 degrees. (bath benches are adjustable). A non-skid bath mat is helpful as well. Chairs: You need to sit in a comfortable chair high enough to not bend your hip past 90, so either raise a chair by putting a platform beneath it or add a cushion. A portable firm cushion about 5 " thick can be used for lower chairs. Recliners are useful but be careful about getting in and out of the chair early on. The zero gravity chair (lafuma or other) is a good inexpensive, portable option. A reacher is indispensible. A special cushion can be used for driving (available at Foam Shops). A raised toilet seat is also necessary early on. In Canada we can rent everything from the Red Cross free of charge. Many medical equipment stores have their own occupational therapist to speak to regarding devices (they can also visit your home). Hopefully things go well for you.

lizzie

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
thanks for your answer. exactly what I worry a bit about--getting in and out of a recliner in the beginning.

now I'm wondering if there's a place in the NYC area (Manhattan/Brooklyn) where I can rent a recliner. if anyone knows, would love to have that info.

Tommie D

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 10:09:46 AM »
After my surgery I bought a cushion for my kitchen chair, and a pillow.  I put that in in the living room for watching tv.  Laying down in bed to sleep wasn't a problem for me, and I needed plenty of it.  Didn't sit in the recliner for about 3 weeks, and I made sure someone was there to helpe me out of in just in case. 
 A shower chair is a must, bending to wash your feet is pretty hard, even with a washing stick.  Something to hold on to getting in and out of the tub is also a good idea, legs are pretty shaky for awhile

stevel

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 01:27:27 PM »
Hi Lizzie,

Check out my story on the Hip Stories, Dr. Su section of this website for my experience with Dr. Su & staff and HSS.  You will be happy with the outcome and experience.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

lizzie

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 11:46:08 AM »
Hi Steve--
Thanks for your reply.
I have read your story and the other accounts of Dr. Su resurfacings before I decided to go see him in June. Thanks for posting it--it was helpful in making a decision to go ahead.
Sounds like you're doing very well in under a year!
I am rather apprehensive about it as it comes closer (actually, surgeries, in my case; must have the right side done about 3 months following the left; he doesn't want me to do them both at once or too close together--"so you still have a leg to stand on"), as I've never had anything but minor surgery, and I've never been in a hospital.  From what I've seen visiting friends, etc., NYC hospitals are quite daunting--awful, actually, though seems HSS is an exception. 
Despite this though, I'm quite excited at the prospect of walking normally--and possibly even doing other things, such as playing tennis, rather than being restricted to the elliptical and rowing machines (I know rowing will be out for a while after the surgeries...) and Pilates.
I've now had about 15 years of pain at a young-ish age (I'm now 43; I have bilateral dysplasia), to the point where I can't walk more than about a block or two and have a major limp. 
I'm very glad this resurfacing procedure has come along.  I hope I'll end up with it rather than the total hip. But we shall see!
-Lizzie
ps--a great great uncle of mine participated in something called the Sherwood Expedition...in Yukon, and stayed there forever afterward.  I know little to nothing about it.  ring any bells?

lizzie

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »
dear fedup--thanks for your reply as well. 
After my surgery I bought a cushion for my kitchen chair, and a pillow.  I put that in in the living room for watching tv.  Laying down in bed to sleep wasn't a problem for me, and I needed plenty of it.  Didn't sit in the recliner for about 3 weeks, and I made sure someone was there to helpe me out of in just in case. 
 A shower chair is a must, bending to wash your feet is pretty hard, even with a washing stick.  Something to hold on to getting in and out of the tub is also a good idea, legs are pretty shaky for awhile
Thankfully, I do have someone here to help me out of a recliner around the clock. I'm probably going to go for one of the portable LaFuma ones, though tempted to get something nicer. I can at least get a little variety from room to room with that.
As for the shower, I'll let the feet-cleaning go and let running water do the trick for that until more time goes by. Will look into a chair, though, nonetheless. However, if I were to install a bar or handle, my entire bathroom may well come down with it.

moe

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 06:00:09 PM »
I bought a LaFuma Mellow indoor recliner and it is great. I slept in it for the first week, and nap in it everyday. The padding is thick, you will not need more. Some of the other models do not have thick padding. I'm sitting in it right now. I had same day bilaterals (7/13) and have no trouble getting in or out of it. It is very stable and comfortable and has strong arms for assistance. It just takes a little practice the first few times but it is much easier than I thought it would be.  I used some WD40 on the hinges as they were squeaking a bit. You will need a place nearby to set your crutches down. I will be using this chair for a very long time even after recovery is complete.

Dr Su trained my surgeon, Dr Robert Marchand. All is going well. Dr Su is one of the best.

Good luck, Moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

MarilynRS

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 02:02:10 AM »
 Hi Lizzie,  I just had bilateral resurfacing 3+ weeks ago.  I too have only a bathtub-shower combo at home.  My husband found a type of handle device (at Goodwill, so obviously they are available new or on ebay, etc) that clamps onto the tub portion of our combo.  It comes up high enough that I can bend down just slightly (I'm 5'9") with my hand and use it to stabilize myself as I step in and out of the tub.  I simply bend my leg at the knee backwards so that I do not bring it forward and violate the 90 degrees.  One leg at a time, I can get in or out.  I have never used a chair.  I use my long back brush, again bending slightly down and grabbing my tub support with one hand, scrubbing with my pre-soaped brush in the other my knees, calves, and even feet.  I also have a handle built into the wall side of the shower surround if I want to change hands, but it is not necessary. 

You could also check with someone about a grab bar outside your tub-shower.  We placed one vertically just outside the shower surround and sometimes I have used that as well, while letting the towel slip down my calves and to my feet, etc.  Anyway, the outside space was very skinny, but with some angled screws, it still worked to get it up solidly.  Maybe a backing board could be mounted for you first, and then the grab bar to it. 

Anyway, the best to you.  Oh, and p.s. -- if both your hips really need replacement now, I've just got to say that doing them together has been a total blessing for me.  Perhaps my most telling day was the Tuesday after I had had the left side done on Monday.  The Physical therapist came and we walked.  I was amazed, that even though the operated side was somewhat swollen and stiff, it was so stable!!!!!  My yet-to-be operated right side felt so wobbly and messed up.  It was so clear at that moment.  Then, after they both were done, I was instantly stronger.  Within 2 days, I could do stairs better than pre-surgery.  So, that's my 2-cents -- though I'm sure there are also good reasons for spacing the surgeries, I personally could not be having the recovery I am now by doing it that way.  I can walk now -- stably and pain-free -- and I am so enjoying that.  I got to walk with my children a couple of nights ago, about 1.25 miles -- them on their scooters, me enjoying the evening breeze.  It has been about 8 years since I have been able to do such a thing!  I felt so happy with life. 

Goodnight for now,  Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

lizzie

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 08:29:08 AM »
I bought a LaFuma Mellow indoor recliner and it is great.
thanks for your comments, Moe, on the recliner and on Dr Su. they help to tone down my anxiety.
I just ordered and received a LaFuma recliner, and it seems surprisingly great (and huge; but at least it's high, which was kind of the point; I got one of those extra large ones--I don't know why--thought I might be really, really swollen or something? or that it might be higher? I feel like Lily Tomlin's Edith from Laugh-In). I can see that it will be a little tricky getting into at first, but once I'm in there, should be great.
it's not like it really fits into my NYC apt, but I did quite want to keep it in the middle of the living room to hang out in it anyway bc it was so comfortable, although my partner wouldn't let me (...yet; but I will do just that soon enough).
thanks again
-Lizzie

lizzie

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 08:39:30 AM »
Hi Lizzie,  I just had bilateral resurfacing 3+ weeks ago. 
Hi Marilyn--thanks for your response. yes, I've been thinking about checking out those grab bars. i can't screw things into the walls here--mine is a pre-War building in NYC, but the bad, too old kind rather than the fabulous and amazing kind with the super stable concrete and plaster walls, ceilings and floors. but one of those things on the tub is an idea.
but how do you deal with the shower curtain? or is that really the least of your worries?
thanks for the comments on bilat surgery. oh, yes, i would do that if he recommended it.  but I asked and he doesn't, so I'm not pushing it. do i want 2 surgeries and 2 recoveries? no, not really. one side is a bit better than the other side, though neither is good, and both are really bad without anti-inflammatories (it's going to be NICE for the next 2 weeks without them...like being painfully encased in a block of ice.  perhaps the post-surgery pain will be dwarfed by the pain preceding it--at least that's what I'm hoping for).
so I'll just have to deal as best I can over the period in-between, and the double recovery time.
overall, although my anxiety comes in waves, thinking about next January or February and the possibility of walking normally is exciting. I haven't done that in about...15 years.
thanks again
--lizzie

stevel

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 11:24:40 AM »
Hi Lizzie,

I haven't heard of the Sherwood Expedition in the Yukon.

Check out "What equipment will I need after surgery?," under Pat's Corner of this website.  I bought equipment (raised toilet seat, hip kit, gel packs for hips or lower back, extra pair of TEDS, elastic shoe laces, etc.) at Walgreens and Faulk Drug and Surgical which are located a couple blocks from the HSS.

You must have a severe condition of both hips as Dr. Su does bilaterals the same day except for extenuating circumstances.
Steve
Age 70

lizzie

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 09:57:29 AM »
thanks, steve.
as for the 3 month period between surgeries, it seems that (according to the FAQ on Dr Su's web site) that this is the norm for Dr Su, and same day bilateral surgery is an exception.
i could very well have a severe condition in both hips--i don't know how that's measured (if it's measured by pain, then yes). but since he's not advising same day or closely spaced surgeries, I'm not pushing for it--particularly since I live very near to HSS.
when i inquired about same day, he said, "I don't want to leave you without a leg to stand on." so i guess, with that said, I must put up with the additional recovery period.
As for the Sherwood Expedition in the Yukon, I confess that I don't know what it is, either, other than it was something significant that one of my ancestors participated in--late 19th/early 20th C.  (I thought you might know more...) But one day I'll check into it. Perhaps while I'm recovering. ; )

stevel

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 02:22:27 PM »
Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for the reference to FAQs on Dr. Su's website regarding bilateral surgeries.  This is a change from his interview with Vicky Marlow.  His response is posted on her website, under Dr. Su interview.  The question was "Do you do bilateral surgeries the same day, if not how far apart do you recommend?"  In response "Yes, I have done over 40 bilateral hip resurfacings on the same day.  In certain instances, a period of time may be recommended between surgeries, depending on the medical health of the patient.  If a patient is not healthy enough to have the surgery done on the same day, or it would require too much operative time, a patient can still have it performed during the same hospitalization, with 3-4 days between the sides."

Anyway, I'm sure Dr. Su is advising the best.  I didn't explore this too much since I was a unilateral surgery.

Regarding the Sherwood expedition:  Using my search engine for the internet, I entered "Sherwood expedition, Yukon" and found an overview of "Guide to Alaska Minining and Prospecting Company Records, 1897-1901."  Apparently the records and journals are at the University of Oregon website http://libweb.uoregon.edu/speccoll/index.html.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:57:05 PM by stevel »
Steve
Age 70

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 03:10:46 PM »
Hi Lizzie

I wanted to wish you Good Luck with your upcoming surgery in August.  The time will be here before you know it.

You have received great information by other Surface Hippies.  If you don't have a recliner, you can just use a big pile of pillows under you operated leg when you are in bed.  It makes your hip feel much better and is good because it keeps your "toes above your nose" as my surgeon use to say.  I was in Belgium for 10 days post op and did not have a recliner. Only regular chairs in the hotel room and my bed.  So I got alone fine with a big stack of pillows under my leg which was recommended by the De Smet team.  You also may or may not be able to lay on your unoperated side a week or two post op.  That helps too.  Some people can and some can't - use a pillow between your legs.  I liked my Lazy Boy and still use it a lot today even though my hip is fine.  I had a raised toilet seat and had a grab bar in my bathroom.  I was able to get into my bathtub being careful and with a bit of help in the begining.

An extra pair of TEDS comes in handy.  If you don't have a lot of gel ice packs, don't forget a bag or two of frozen peas work great.  Just don't forget and eat them after!  ;D I did not ice since I did not need to.  Not everyone needs to ice or has swelling.  It is all individual.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

muzza

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 02:19:50 AM »
I found after both my resurfacings the "pick up stick", or "reacher" to be a tremendous help.  Whoever invented that thing deserved a medal.  I also got great use out of a bit of plastic on a rope to put your sock on the operated leg side.

Before each surgery I bought a pair of cheap running shoes that had velcro straps for doing them up, no laces. These were great as I could use the pick up stick to easily loosen and tighten the velcro straps.

After a few days post op. I could bend down to get things out of cupboards or the lower parts of the refrigerator by partially squating on my good leg and extending the operated leg to the back, thus maintaining the angle at more than 90.  Another way was to flex the lower leg at the knee on the operated leg and squat with the good leg. Building up the strength in the non-operated leg before surgery helps in using these manouvers.

Neil

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal