+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Well, I'm home!!  (Read 4716 times)

Vt waddler

Well, I'm home!!
« on: July 31, 2009, 06:57:32 PM »
As some might recall, my bilateral resurfacing (Cormets) was scheduled and prefromed on 07/22.....Everything went great, although there was a bit more damage to the joints than anticipated. Surgery took around 4 hours or so and was done at Dartmouth Hitchcock medical center. I admit, I didn't expect quite as much pain immediately following surgery, but made it through. Had me up and moving with a walker the following day and was transferred to an inpatient rehad facililty on 7/25...by 7/27 I was on crutches and getting around..Was released today (7/30) and am finally at home. Just took a walk out in the front yard, pain has greatly decreased---with the aid of lots of morphine varients...Oxy, dilaudud, straight moprhine and plenty of valium for the muscule pain/tightness....All and all, and in 10 days---amazing procedure....
vt waddler..............(soon to be an exwaddler!!)

Vt waddler

Re: Well, I'm home!!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:52:21 AM »
Things appear to be going very well, starting to cut back on the pain meds, yet increasing the diazapam a bit for muscle relief. Also on cumadan and celebrex. I have had my worst episodes of pain at night and am finding it damn near impossible to sleep on my back...Wedge dosen't really suit me, infact it caused such hoorible pain and discomfort immediately following surgery, to the extent I could not use it,nursing/doctor team allowed me to not use it. (been real careful on the percautions though, crossing legs etc. Personally I believe I've had such limited range of motion for so long (could only spread my feet 1 1/2 ft max prior to surgery) that my muscles simply have losses the memory/limberness required to use the wedge. Been very difficult to sleep at night, but able to nap some during the day, but, my butt is dragging.. Took a shower on my own this morning, got a tremendous amout of satufaction out of this small step forward.....
Now a question. how does one know if they are pushing it to hard. I mean. obviously some pain is involved in rehab work. I walked about 1 mile this morning on crutches * was told by surgeon walker or crutches for the first 4 weeks, but have yet to have a real sitdown Q & A session with my surgeon, post surgery, except I do know joint damage and osteophytes were a bit worse than expected. Next appointment with the surgeon is on the 19th.. My big question, understanding responses will very do to particular individiual siuations is.......
So my question is---How much shoud I push it? Pretty much blew through time with the walker, finding crutches much more easy to use, not to mention safer!! (g) Except at night, pain has been pretty minimal..Just walked about 1 mile with crutches and don't feel real sore, I'vw also been  doing most the exercises outlined in the discharge papers and avoinding those that were crossed out. Been using the "sliding" strap when "sliding my legs etc.

So any opinions? I'm 12 days post surgery (surgery was on 7/22) And would like to push as much as I can without doing damage...Xray was talken prior to discharge from inpatient rehab facility/local hospital (different hospital from the one where I had the surgery performed. In fact I had planned to stay a week in rehab, but got discharged a day early.

Again, things for any opinions of advice.  (Would like to be back pounding nails and doing gc work, by early- mid Nov.)

TIA..
Vt Waddling less

fedup

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 03:03:55 PM »
Sounds like you are doing great. As long as each day is better than the last you are probably not overdoing it. Remember to elevate your legs often and use ice especially after a lot of exercise. Sleep is extremely important to your healing. Diazepam can help muscle spasms but it will also make you feel tired (don't overuse it). Can you get by with a pillow under your knees when you sleep on your back? I switched to side-sleeping with a pillow between my knees as soon as I could tolerate side lying on my incision. Somehow I slept in a sea of pillows and ice packs. Hope you get some sleep soon.

tedroberts

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 04:16:28 PM »
I had bi-lateral hip resurfacing 1-7-09 with Dr. Nelson here in MPLS, MN.  I agree with what fedup wrote. 

I rented a hospital bed and set it up in the living room.  This let me adjust my sleeping position more often and spared my wife my snoring (sleeping on my back).  I would suggest out patient physical therapy  as soon as possible.  I waited until
the 6th week and I think I would have recovered faster if I had started at about two weeks.

Ted Roberts, Edina, MN       
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »
I don't think you mentioned whether or not you are working with a physical therapist. I would highly recommend that you find one who will work with you and communicate with your doctor. "How hard is too hard?" is a tricky question that is better answered with a little professional guidance. As for sleeping on your back, I found it much easier after i put my legs up on a couple of pillows, as fedup suggested.

CeeJay15

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 02:05:57 PM »
Didn't your doctor give you some PT exercises on discharge? I've been doing my PT at home for the last 2 weeks with MUCH progress. Here is a link to Dr. Rector's phase 1 exercises: http://www.coloradohipresurfacing.com/English/Medical/Rehabilitation_Exercises.html

I think that by NOT doing them your muscles will take longer to recover.

And I agree - two pillow under your legs will make back sleeping a LOT better.

How long did it take for some of you to sleep on your side? I'm 18 days post op today and DYING to try side sleeping!

cj
Carolyn
Right BHR Dr. Rector July 15, 2009

Vt waddler

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:09:15 AM »
Good Morning gang,
kwarendorf, Yes, I've been seeing a physical therapist since day one. As I mentioned I spent 3 days in the hospital where my surgery was done, which included beginning pt immediately after surgery. Then on day 4, was sent on a 2 hr ambulance ride to a different local hospital for 7 days of inpatient PT, and finally home. Had my first home visit yesterday from the nurse to draw blood for cumadin dose adjusting and she also removed my staples (74 total and 2 of them were a bitch to get out). Plan on continuing pt for awhile at home with a visiting therapist.

CJ, Yes I did receive the phase 1 pt workout outline and have been working on the exercises..I will note though that 2 have been eliminated from the original document printing...the hip abduction (laying on back and sliding legs out and back in) and also eliminated were the standing hip side kicks.
 I just also felt the need to get out and walk some, especailly after being in the hospitals for 10 days....I needed the fresh air!! (vbg)...Granted I know I've been pushing a bit to hard, as I'm pretty damn sore this morning!!..;^) and will probably slack off for a day or 2, although my pt person may come today for the first home visit. I have plenty of work to do, especially for stair climbing, which I almost eliminated the immediate need for,prior to surgery via some creative carpentry. (lol)..I think my physical condition prior to surgery has been a big help, I was still walking a few miles per day and working 6 hrs/day doing construction work right up until the day of surgery. My upper body stretgh has been a great asset towards using the cruthces, not to mention balance gained from living and being raised at a ski area.
 I definitely need to get working harder on the stretching end of the program. as I feel the strengthing will come along on it's own...While my surgery approach was "MIS", my muscles took a beating during surgery(they may not have been cut, but they sure wer stretched to the max!!, although I'm not overly black and blue(G)....Scars are about 6" long and kind of "S" shaped, definitely not straight cuts.
 Think I may have slept a tad bit better last night, but this sleeping on ones back is for the birds!!(lol)

Vt Waddler

Vt waddler

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 05:27:57 AM »
PS: as to the sleeping poorly thing, I don't believe it has helped any that, I've had to sleep in 3 different beds in the last 12 days...none being the one I typically sleep in ! (g)

Oh Well. that's it for now, will report back in a few days or so..
And a special thanks to everyone for their advice, guidance and general support....none of which can be understated when going through something like this...............;^)

Vt waddler

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »
Another small step forward, I will be sleeping in my own bed tonight!! Figured out I could make it up the tricky second floor stairs using a cane and swapping hands mid way up, it'a a pain, but can't wait to sleep in my bed!! 16 days post op, 3 different beds besides my own, 2 different hospitals...I'm ready(g)..PT came by the house again, and also tested cumadin levels (had to up my dose for a day by 2.5mg)...Also, I must confess,today  I climbed up into the old f250 and took a quick spin, was able to push the clutch for the 6 speed and use the brakes and gas pedal...(now that I know I can drive, I'm much happier- not that I really need to at this point). So all in all I'm pretty darn happy, I have found lifting my right leg off the bed while laying down is still near impossible (can do the heel slides, and flattening my knee to the bed , pillow under knee and rising it, etc.-, but actually rising that extended leg from a laying down position is tough. Left leg I can raise with no problem. PT assures me it will come around, says the muscles are basically in shock after the surgery and muscle manipulation during resurafacing. So we contiune on...concentrating on strengthening that right leg!..'nite,'nite

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 08:46:21 AM »
Sounds like you're making great progress. Little things become very important at this time, like sleeping comfortably in your own bed or driving you 6 speed pickup. Every day you will find some little mundane part of your day no longer requires forethought. One day you will just put your socks on! As to the leg lifts, they're BRUTAL. They were the most fear inspiring part of my PT, but as your PT said, they will happen. Just relax, stay diligent and remember your in a marathon not a sprint :) Glad to hear you're doing well.

Kyle

CeeJay15

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »
I agree with the leg lifts! Arrggh they are SO hard.

Glad to hear you are making progress. Every little step makes us all feel so good.

cj
Carolyn
Right BHR Dr. Rector July 15, 2009

Vt waddler

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 07:01:30 PM »
Thanks for the support guys..and gals and know that same support is here for you as well,--cj, sounds like you are progreeing nicely as well.

Kyle,"remember your in a marathon not a sprint" I honestly want to thank you for mentioned this and reminding me...I sometimes forget, story of my life...I think you have convinced me to lay a little lower over the weekend..let the body catch up to the brain!! My next pt visit is Monday, but I do actually look forward to it..especially since it's in my house//until my inhouse PT privliges a re revoked!..
Everyone have a lovely weekend
Vt waddler

BUK10

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 10:35:38 PM »
Hi vt,
You are a litle over a  week ahead of me. I am 7 days post op and had a bilateral ASR Resurfacing done by Dr. Ball on 7/31/09. I had a 3 and a half day hospital stay and came home Tuesday afternoon. I was diagnosed at the age of 15 with Hip Dysplesia and had been living with it for 25 years and am currently 39. I am looking forward to the small progressive stages of rehab.

I made sure that we had a hospital bed downstairs as we have a 2 story home. I am still using my walker but will be going to crutches on Monday even though I feel I could use them now. The right leg slide is a tough on e out of bed for me but I can get in and out of bed by myself if needed. he wife typically will lift them back for me if needed. I am trying to stop the pain meds as of today and hacve been doing PT since my 2nd day post op.

I can see and feel the future and am looking forward to it.

Congrats to you,
Andre

Vt waddler

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 12:15:01 PM »
Glad you are doing well Andre, especially in your unique situation..The hospital be definitely would be sweet to have. I actually slept a bit better last night, incisions are still very sore to lay on.
 As one whom never seems to be content on where I'm at (g) I've been thinking ahead to my next scheduled appt. post surgery. I believe the surgeon is going to pop in, but suspect I will be talking with his PA for the bulk of the time. ( I kinda search the site for info on the sobject)

So what are some of the questions that should be asked, I mean more along the big ticket line questions? (meaning each of us obviously will have their own questions in different areas relating directly to each of  us)..but, I mean like,...How do you know your implants were properly aligned during the procedure? (Is this verified through digital xray comaprison or something? Or just from viewing a post procedure xray?--can it be verified at all?
..I'm in the dark about this stuff..
 Can it be determined if there has been any post procedure movement in the implant components? No matter how tiny? How much can be determined about bone growth over a 1 month post porcedure time span? Anything at all?

Obviously one can't make the doc fell he is on the hot seat or being grilled, but fell these are fair questions to ask....I would like to hear others opinions on what questions they will or have asked at this first visit..I am going to request copies of all post op xrays, lab reports etc. Was also told there is a procedure record as well from the surgery that I can get a copy of from the records dept. (although my clinical nurse said she would give me copies of every thing--free...;^) already have all preoperative xrays, reports etc.
So anymore questions I should ask? Open for suggestions?
VT

Vt waddler

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 08:01:15 PM »
Thought I'd post a quick update. Had my 4 week post bilat surgery appt. today with my surgeon and his assistant. Good news, everything looks great, implants look well postioned/aligned, bone regrowth has clearly already begun, equal leg lengths. Both scars ended up to be about 5 1/2" ,to quote the operative report (surgery took 3 hr &10mins by the way) "we then proceeded with a 14cm hockey-stick-shaped incision"..Off the cumadin tonight, no more ted socks, and crutches or cane are optional..I can cross my feet/legs ect. Only real limit imposed, should only lift around 30lbs. max for awhile. Hope to be back doing a little foundation repair work in mid- to late Oct., before the snow flies and the ground freezes (g) As to rehab/pt, things are progressing well, now getting ready to start outpatient pt, instead of 2X week at home pt.................and I can't wait to go swimming in my pond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................;*) Vtwaddler....(hopefully soon to be ex-waddler)
I hope and wish all are well and spirits are high!!

Vt waddler

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 08:04:56 PM »
PS: ended up with 54mm cups and 48mm balls

Vt waddler

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 10:00:20 AM »
The irony, since yesterday I was told I nolonger needed crutches, and should probably use one crutch or a cane for a week or so to get back in the swing of things, I found an old wooden cane lying here around the house. The old red rubber (might have been "real" rubber) tip was shot so decided to run down to the store and buy a new one. While there, it dawned on me---this was my grandfathers cane, I can remember him using it when I was a kid, reason being, he had bad hips!!
Now this of course predated THR and obviously caused my grand dad a great amount of pain......... and here I am, 1 month after having both of my hips replaced using the same damn cane!! My has technology come a long ways in a short period of time....

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 11:23:02 AM »
VT waddler

Great cane story.  Aren't you glad we have hip resurfacing now!

Hey, pretty soon you will have to get a new name since you won't be waddling any more  :D

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Vt waddler

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 07:34:37 AM »
LOL! Pat, yes, a new name it might have to be..We're trying to turn that hip waddle into a 51 yo male ass wiggle! ;D  Seriously though, I am really trying to concentrate on rehabbing myself with better posture, as well as gait. I need my inhouse pt discharge papers, before starting oupatient rehab/pt at the local hospital where I spent my 7 days post surgery pt---don't want to mess up proper insurance procedure for fear they will hassle me--so I am "self" pt'ing for a week (g))
  I have a mental goal of starting a little work in mid oct or so...but, until then, my fulltime job is my PT ;)...That might mean just standing up and walking upright for 20 paces, but it all adds up! Note, I am not so anal, that I am walking around with a book on my head Miss Porter style (g) but trying to be conscious of what I'm doing.

So, I'm hanging in there and moving forward, unfortunately not pain free by any means yet though,--wasn't lucky enough to draw that straw-but satisfied I drew the one I did.

Vt waddler

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
one last comment and I'll shut up for awhile (g) I'd feel remiss if I didn't comment-
My hat is off to Dr. Ivan Tomek and his whole team up at Dartmouth Hitchcock medical in Hanover NH, thank you!....guess being one of the first medical schools in the country has served them well over the years.
Later,
Vt Waddler

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat