+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Managing back problems after surgery  (Read 2359 times)

musica

Managing back problems after surgery
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:09:52 PM »
I will be seeing my surgeon in a few weeks to give him my decision about having surgery on my right hip.  I have been given the option of a total hip replacement or hip resurfacing and am leaning towards the hip resurfacing. 

One thing that concerns me about either type of surgery is how I will manage my back pain afterwards.  I have osteoarthritis and degenerating discs in my lumbar spine and have had back pain for many years.  I have a lot of trouble sleeping and turn from side to side frequently during the night because my back gets stiff and sore.  I manage it mainly by putting a heated Magic Bag against my back as I am going to sleep and doing stretching exercises in the morning.  My surgeon has told me that the exercise that helps the most, which involves a very deep bend at the hips, is not recommended ever after surgery but that if I wanted to carefully try it, he would recommend that I don't even attempt it for at least the first year.

Has anyone who has had surgery had to deal with pre-existing back pain not related to the hip?  If so, how did you do it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Valerie

fedup

Re: Managing back problems after surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 02:48:16 PM »
I developed a lot of low back pain during post op hip exercises. It didn't improve until I strenghthened my core muscles doing pilates. I had a physio to work with that gave me exercises that kept the hip precautions in mind. The book of pre and  post op exercises from the hospital also noted some exercises to strenghthen core muscles to avoid back pain. I also used those heated massaging back supporters that can be used in the house or in the car, especially in the winter.

musica

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 03:45:15 PM »
Thanks.  I have been doing core exercises for quite awhile.  I've never tried Pilates but I have a video that came with an exercise mat that I bought so maybe I'll take a look at it.  In general, I guess I should step up the exercises and get those muscles in the best possible shape! 

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:20:16 AM »
I had back surgery about 10 months prior to my hip resurfacing. I had spinal stenosis which basically caused my feet to fall asleep when I walked. I also have some arthritis and the remnants of the disc @L3 that ruptured several years ago and then broke. When it broke it relieved the pressure on the nerves and made disc surgery unnecessary. Eventually the stenosis had to be addressed and I had a laminectomy @L4-L5. All of this is to say that prior to my hip surgery my back was a mess. 6 months after my back surgery I noticed that my back was really stiff when I got up in the morning and if I had been sitting for any length of time. It was at that time that i had begun to notice the discomfort in my hip. I went to see the back surgeon and he said my hip was causing my back problems. He was right. When my hip got fixed my back problems disappeared.

musica

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 12:57:24 AM »
It would be fantastic if my back pain improved after the hip surgery!  The surgeon told me that might be the case but that there could also be no change or it could actually get worse, although he didn't think it was likely to get worse.

I saw a new physio a couple of days ago, not for my hip but it turns out she used to work at a hospital with patients who had had hip and knee surgery.  She assured me that she can help me find alternate stretches to do that will work just as well for my back as the ones I do now so I'm feeling a lot less apprehensive.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 07:49:15 AM »
Hi Valerie

Most people with hip or knee problems also have back problems.  When a joint is not working properly, the rest of the body is trying to make up for the problem.  Our bodies are out of balance and harmony.  Most people I know that have hip problems have back problems of one kind or another.

I use to go to the chiropractor a lot, even before I found out I had a bad hip. I have degenerated discs also and have had chiropractic treatment and traction type treatement called the Cox treatment in our area.

I have been told by my surgeon that my back will probably get better after my surgery.  It does not happen immediatley since it takes a long time for your body to heal.  Normally, however, as you heal and get back to a normal gait, your back and knees should get better.  Mine did and I know quite a few others that have had improvement.  I still go to the chiropractor now and then, but my back is much better now.  I am almost 4 years post op now.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

musica

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 02:56:37 PM »
Thanks Pat.  That is very encouraging!

lindalynn

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 08:01:49 AM »
musica,  I also had back pain prior to resurfacing.  In fact the back pain was most of my pain when walking.  but since I had such poor range of motion, it was felt I would not be able to rehab my back until I had better ROM in my hip.  So hip first.  Now I have most of my ROM back, can tie my shoes again, but still have back pain when I walk or sit.  I am trying a pilates video also for my back.  Very beginners though and carefully.  I still must confess I am not happy yet that I had this surgery.
Lynn
5-21-09 right BHR Rogerson

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat