+-

Author Topic: Stretching Problem  (Read 1214 times)

Tony

Stretching Problem
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:52:29 PM »
Hello Everyone, I am 10 weeks out now from a left hip BHR. Doing pretty good except I am having a problem Stretching. When I am lying on my back and trying to pull my knee to my chest it seems to stop at 90 degrees. The more I pull it just lifts my butt and back and seems to cause pain in the front of the leg were the leg and torso crease. It doesn't seem to be in the joint but maybe in the tissue. The back of the leg seems to be fine, just the front seems to make it stop and won't allow me to pull it any closer to my chest. Wondering if anybody else has had any problems like this or might know something ? Thanks Tony

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Stretching Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:45:26 AM »
Hi Tony

One question - has your surgeon asked you to pull your leg to your chest?  I would not do anything your body does not want to do.  You are just past 3 months post op and your body is doing major healing.  Your mind can't control your healing, only your body does that.  You should NEVER NEVER force your body to do something it does not want to do during your recovery!

Unless this is something you have been told to do - STOP.  As my surgoen Dr. De Smet who has done over 3000 resurfacings says LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.  Never force it or do anything that makes it hurt - you could regret it and put yourself in the emergency room. I know of one person who was more into his recovery and quickly pulled and forced his leg to his chest - and he dislocated his new resurfacing.  GREAT PAIN and a trip to the emergency room and a much longer healing process.

Everyone heals at a different rate.  Even if someone else could pull their leg easily to their chest at the same time post op - it does not mean you should if is does not happen easily.  LISTEN TO YOUR BODY and LISTEN TO YOUR COMMON SENSE.

You just had major surgery and it will take over a year for your body to heal.  In most cases it has healed enough at 6 months to be pretty active, but again that is up to your own surgeon.  Always ask first if you are having a problem, never take things in your own hands or force your body during recovery.

I know you will be able to do your stretches after you have recovered.  For now, stick to easy stuff like walking and enjoying your new hip.

Good Luck.

Pat

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:47:51 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

wayne-0

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 05:13:29 AM »
Hey Tony,
It took me a while to get my legs past 90 degrees. It seemed like they would stop and not let me go any futher. Well I am now just under 9 months post op and the legs are going further and further. Be patient like Pat says you will get there. I had both done on the same day and my left leg was the worst of the two. Well my right leg is more flexible today than my left leg is, so I believe it may take just a little longer for my left to catch up to the right. I am more than ready and prepared for the extra time it may take to get there. Feeling as good as I do now, and how fast the last 9 months have flown by, it will seem like in no time I'll be where I want to be flexiblity wise. Good luck.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Tony

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 07:19:32 PM »
Hello, Pat and Wayne-O thanks for your replies. Pat you are right I know I should Not force it. Also my surgeon had expected me to pull the leg to my chest. I now realize that this may be a longer process than I expected. I am continuing to stretch daily, progress is slow but I am determined to get a good R.O.M. I will be very cautious as not to injure myself. Wayne-O I am wondering what you did when your stretching made the hip tissues sore. Did you use ice, heat, or just lay off for awhile? I will be going back to work in a couple of weeks and I actually think this may help my R.O.M. as I have a active Job. Unfortunately I will only work for 6 weeks then have my right hip resurfaced. It has failed fast since my left Op. The more I work the left hip the worse the right gets. I am trying not to pop pain pills again, but eventually may not have a choice. Although I am not looking forward to another operation I will be glad when it's done so I can get on with recovery and lose the joint pain. Looking for input. Thanks Tony

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 07:28:44 PM »
Hi Tony

Many of us had our unoperated hip get worse after our surgeries.  Mine was very painful and ended up with bursitus.  I had to get a steroid shot.  I think the unoperated hip really takes much more of a load after our surgeries for one hip.  We are walking unbalanced and it is doing work of almost two.  Some people do have a very bad unoperated hip as you do, but others just have to give their other hip time to heal too.  Once your operated hip starts to carry it's full load, the other hip will often start to feel better. Again, this is a slow process.  I was sure I needed a second hip surgery, but here I am almost 4 years later and it is still ok.  It bothers me if I really overdo my activities, but the pain is nothing like my operated hip caused.

Again, Good Luck and take it easy.  Everything will heal and get back to normal in time.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats