+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Hips ! ASR Depuy Bilateral 7/31/09 6 days post op  (Read 4365 times)

BUK10

New Hips ! ASR Depuy Bilateral 7/31/09 6 days post op
« on: August 06, 2009, 03:39:03 PM »
I am an official member!,

My surgery went a little longer than expected about 6 total hours to complete both sides. Dr. Scott Ball did a very diligent incredible procedure with the 25 year old arthritic hip joints he had to work with. He is a young, intelligent, very active great surgeon for hip resurfacing. Glowing recommendations all around for him and his staff.

I am recovering well and am back home as of Tuesday afternoon. PT has begun and I am super motivated to heal properly. I am already full weight bearing and can do standing and sitting exercises 6th day post op. Bring on the crutches!

Thank you,
Andre, 39 years old
Dr. Ball
ASR Depuy Bilateral Resurfacing
7/31/09 6 days post op

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: New Hips ! ASR Depuy Bilateral 7/31/09 6 days post op
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »
Congratulations Andre.  You are definitey a Surface Hippy now!

Remember to be gentle to your new hips for awhile.  You body will heal at it's own rate and you don't want to push it.  Listen to your body is what my surgeon told me.

It is fantasic you are dong so well already.  That's what hip resurfacing is all about.  Dr. Ball is a wonderful hip resurfacing surgeon, too.

Keep up the healing and stay in touch.

Good Luck!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DirkV

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 01:15:36 AM »
Hi Andre,
Welcome! Glad to hear that you are feeling as well as can be expected-if not better. Keep your chin up during these first few weeks. I recall during my first couple weeks spending 5 min to get my picker-upper and crutches and backpack so I could go to the end of the driveway to pick up the newspaper. Fumbled it a couple times and then the paper came out of the rubber band. ARGHH.
Read your recent post that you are weaning from pain meds. I'm sure there are many variables, but as another Dr. Ball patient, I think that surgeon is a variable in minimal pain. I was too able to get off pain meds quickly.
Good luck. Not to brag, but hopefully to offer encouragement, I've got to get to bed so that I can get up early for a 50+ mile bike ride tomorrow. Hey, I'll be in San Diego next weekend to help my bro-in-law move (another testament to recovery - don't even think about it anymore). After you get a bit better and able to get out, it would be great to meet you and Wayne-O.
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

BUK10

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »
Hi Dirk,

Sorry I did not see your message until today. It would be great to meet a fellow Dr. Ball patient. You can always send me an email @ bukich92037@hotmail.com which I check everyday. Thank you for the encouraging words!

I had my 4 week appointment with Dr. Ball on Thursday my X-rays and everything looks RIGHT ON!!! I am still a little stiff and am doing my stretches and PT almost everyday. Dr. Ball said I could do as much as I am able but no jogging/running or hi impact stuff until about 4-6 months which I am completely fine with. I am relearning to walk on the inside of my feet and pushing off strongly and making that stronger since I used to compensate walking with the outside of my feet. This is evidenced by the outside wear on all my old shoes.

Dr. Ball reconfirmed that there is no doubt my hips were the worst he has seen ( 25 years of pain and bad hips) and could not believe that I was so mobile prior to surgery. He really took his time to clean out all the bad bone and reshaped me with incredible precision. He said that I am very tough for dealing with all the pain for so many years and with the surgery I had. I am very glad my "toughness" and meeting Vince in Hawaii did not stop from taking the leap to being pain free!!

I have a video of me walking but the file was too large to attach to this post.

Andre
Bilateral ASR
July 31st, 2009
Dr. Scott Ball ( San Diego, Ca.)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 02:29:52 PM »
Hi Andre

You can upload your video to my Surface Hippy Video site   http://surfacehippyvideos.com/shvideos/

If you drop me an email that you uploaded it, pwalter@surfacehippy.info ,   I will bring a copy down to the main website videos.

Also if you write a little story, or collect your important posts here and send them to me, I will make a page up for your Hip Resurfacing Story with Dr. Ball and place it here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php#Dr. Ball Hip Stories

Anyone that wants to send me a story, I will be happy to post it.  I try to watch the board and collect the stories - but there are so many that I miss some here and there.  The best way to get your story posted on the main site is to send it to me along with photos if you have them.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat