+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Resurfacing Devices  (Read 4041 times)

malc

Hip Resurfacing Devices
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:12:01 AM »
Hi everyone
I'm new to SH...had my op 3 weeks ago, still feeling some muscular pain & stiffness...but just got back from a mile-long walk with the dog...pain free! Anyway, does anyone have any info on a device made by Stryker, designed for a 'mid-head resection', which is what I had. It looks just like a conventional resurfacing implant, but the stem's a little longer. My surgeon opted for this method, as he was concerned that a shorter stemmed device would fail (a considerable amount of bone had worn away). Just curious really...wondering if anyone has any advice,stories, tips etc.
Thanks
Malc :) (in the UK)
Actually, I want to add that I'm fairly certain I had the MITCH PER mini hip procedure, and that I have managed to find a website about one of the consultants who helped devise the product. However, I'd love to hear from others who've had the same op. It seems like a fairly 'young' procedure in terms of how often it's been done? Any comments would be most welcome!
Best wishes.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:52:38 AM by malc »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Hip Resurfacing Devices
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »
Hi Malc

Welcome to Hip Talk.  Glad to hear you are doing well.  Being in the US, it is more difficult trying to find out about hip devices not available in the US.  I only know of 3 other kinds of mid head type device which is a longer stem version of a normal hip resurfacing:

1. The BMHR  http://www.surfacehippy.info/bmhr.php designed by Mr. McMinn manufactured by Smith & Nephew and not approved or available in the US. 

2. The Proxima which I think is manufactured by DePuy also overseas  http://www.hipsforyou.com/proximahip.php and not FDA approved or available in the US.

3. The Stryker Mitch Device http://www.hipsforyou.com/mitchtrh.php which is also not FDA approved or available in the US.

If you ask your surgeon what device you received for sure, it would be interesting to us. Again, it is diffiuclt to find out information about the devices being developed and not availble in the US.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

malc

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 05:09:13 AM »
Hi Pat
Thanks for such a speedy and informative reply! It is the Stryker product (my surgeon told me this). My understanding is that this device is a kind of half-way house between hip resurfacing and the THR, designed with active patients in mind, for durability and longevity. From what I can see, it hasn't been in operation for that long, so, whether it lasts for a considerable period is still an open ended question. You'll note that I revised my first email, as I remembered that it was the MITCH PER mid head resection that was done on me (this is a confusing business)! I have asked for any other 'MITCHIES' to come forward, as I would love to hear of their experiences. Once again, thaks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Best wishes
Malc  :)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 08:00:44 AM »
Hi Malc

I have been reading thousands of posts for almost 4 years on my own website and on the Yahoo surfacehippy discussion group.  I don't ever remember anyone mentioning that they had received a Mitch.  I don't think many have been used.  When I was looking up the info I saw that about 296 had been used in Australia. You can see table HT45 down towards the bottom of this page to see the statistics http://www.surfacehippy.info/aoanationalreg08.php

I hope we can learn more about it and definitely want to keep in touch with you.  Because it is different and newer, doesn't mean that it won't last for you.  The BMHR is failry new, but I am sure that Mr. McMinn feels it is an excellent solution and it is not a tempory fix for bad hips, these devices are meant to be used long term.  I would not worry about your device not lasting a long time.  If it was placed by an experinced surgeon, I am sure it will serve you well.

Thanks again for posting. Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat