+-

Author Topic: Recovery Pain  (Read 1466 times)

katfisch

Recovery Pain
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:19:20 AM »
I had a LBHR done 7/20/09 - I am a 56 year old female. Prior to the surgery, I had been having left hip pain that progressed to bilateral groin pain for the past two years. My gait was not good, and the pain was constant - I had no endurance for walking, sitting, or standing.  I was diagnosed with congenital hip dysplasia. Today, I am 3 weeks post op. My worst pain is cramping in my left thigh, knee, and calf.  The cramping is the worst upon arising in the morning and also after sitting for an hour. I am able to decrease the cramping with walking. My post op instructions are: use crutches for 6 weeks and maintain 75% weight bearing on my left leg for 6 weeks with no lifting of anything 40 pounds or greater for at least a year. The doctor has me on a home exercise program rather than attending therapy - and, one of the exercises is too "march" with my left leg - this is particularly painful - and, I wonder if I am making any progress. After reading several of the notes made on this site - I can accept that much of the pain is due to soft tissue and muscle adjusting to a more normal walking pattern particularly if I have been walking abnormal due to the hip dysplasia.  On the bright side, I no longer have any discomfort on my right side at all.  I still cannot put a sock on my left foot or tie a shoe without great difficulty or pain.  My question is how much pain do I tolerate when doing the exercises?  And, do I need to do less during the day to decrease the amount of pain I have?  I am still having a problem with swelling in my left leg - I had a large bruise on the back of my left thigh and left calf that is beginning to subside.  The doctor told me at my 2 week visit to decrease using ice as I needed to have blood flow to the area and ice would deter that.  I guess I need reassurance that the cramping type pain will go away.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Recovery Pain
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:41:37 AM »
Hi Katfisch

Welcome to Hip Talk.  You are very early in your recovery.  3 weeks post op is still at a time when you are doing a lot of healing.  No one I know could possible tie their shoes at 3 weeks post op.  I would not try to do anything that means you must bend and stress your body this early in your recovery.

I am sure you have read that everyone has their own recovery rate.  I have read thousands of stories and you just have to accept what you have.  Most people do not start leading active lives for a number of months after surgery.

You should listen to your body along with your doctor.  My surgeon told me to listen to my body - if it hurt - don't do it.  Many people do no special PT after surgery and just walk as much as they can when their bodies allow them to.  These people heal just as well as those that do a great deal of special PT.  So don't worry about doing special PT.  I did not do any after I left Belgium.  My doctor along with many others suggest walking, walking and walking - that is when your body will let you.  If you are having pain, be sure to ice and elevate your leg.  The say is - toes above your nose.  Use your recliner chair or put a pile of pillows under your leg while laying in bed.  If you had swelling, then you will most likely continue to have bouts of swelling when you overdo your activities.  You just need to be patient and give your body time to heal.''

Also remember that you had years of problems with your displasia and your muscles will not automatically act like you are now recovered and normal.  It may take them a year or  more to get back to normal.  It could be possible that after your hip finally heals in 6 months or a year - then you might need special PT to get the muscles to learn to work as they would with a normal hip.  You recovery is going to take longer since your muscles have to learn how to work with the new hip.

I had a lot of cramping and my doctor's assistant told me to take calcium and magnesium.  You might want to try that combination.  Cramping can also be from dehydration.  Make sure you are taking in enough fluids.  Your body has a lot of healing to do and needs to get rid of all the anesthasia and meds you took during and after surgery.

Please be paient and give your body time to heal.  It will happen.  It sounds as if your surgeon is being very conservative with your recovery, so listen to him/her and take it easy.  You will have plenty of time to use the new hip in 6 months or a year.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

emaxwell

Re: Recovery Pain
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 09:28:22 AM »
I had some cramping after my bilateral most likely due to the increased fluids causing the swelling, it will go away but it takes a while. Even at my 6 weeks check Dr. Gross told me it is normal to still have excess fluid in the joints. As for tying shoes I did not even attempt until after 6 weeks and it took a while to get flexibility back. Be patient it will all come around

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

Re: My Resurfacing Journey by LarryBud
November 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear