+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One year (August 6th 2008) eval with Dr. Gross  (Read 2096 times)

obxpelican

One year (August 6th 2008) eval with Dr. Gross
« on: August 13, 2009, 03:12:09 PM »
I made the trip to Columbia SC to see Dr. Gross and crew. 

My x-rays were good I could see on the x-ray that the cup was firmly in place and the femoral implant was in place well, my ROM on my operated side was actually better on some measurements than my left side.   

My only complaints to Dr. Gross was that if I over do it every once in a while (4 times since my operation) I'll get sore in my glutes and a little on the outsde.  I still have a very very small amount of "start up stiffness" but on most days I am fine, I think it's when I sit too long.  I've become accustomed to being better walking than sitting on a hard chair.  Dr. Gross said some aches after too much activity is quite normal he said my start up stiffness will go away.

I asked Dr. Gross how his cementless surgeries are going, as of Tuesday he had only one failure and it was due to necrosis, not the femoral implant adhesion.  So far so good on cementless.

I asked Dr. Gross on activities and he said water skiing, tubing and mountain biking are all fine, I am fine to do more intensive stretching because I would not dislocate now.  The night before my eval with Dr. Gross I played water volleyball for 3 hours which a year before would have been out of the question.

All in all I was glad that I made the trip, next year I think I'll do an out of town eval.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

jackmac32

Re: One year (August 6th 2008) eval with Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 08:50:50 AM »
Thanks for the update.  I am scheduled for Oct 1st with Dr Su.  Its great to hear good stories about people "on the other side".

MarilynRS

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 02:10:42 AM »
Congratulations, Chuck :)    I am at 5 weeks now, and am still trying to decide whether to go for my first eval, the 6-week follow-up -- wouldn't quite be able to get there at 6 weeks exactly, but somewhere soon thereafter --  back with Dr. Gross, or whether to do in my own town.  Did you go then too?  I'm kind of imagining a 15-20 minute check-up and talk and then it's over....  It seems like a lot with a full day of flying each way, rental car, hotel, etc.  I'm just curious from others whether this seems worth it ??  I'd love to talk with Dr. Gross, Nancy, and Lee, show off a bit and be jubilant together just for the fun of it.  It just costs time and money to get there from Oregon! 

Quick question, we are allowed to start stretching at 6 weeks, right?  Just not "extremes" like squatting I think I remember reading.

By the way, how do people add the little line at the end that tells when we got our surgeries?

Congrats again,  marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 02:42:05 AM »
I made the trip to Columbia SC to see Dr. Gross and crew. 

My x-rays were good I could see on the x-ray that the cup was firmly in place and the femoral implant was in place well, my ROM on my operated side was actually better on some measurements than my left side.   

My only complaints to Dr. Gross was that if I over do it every once in a while (4 times since my operation) I'll get sore in my glutes and a little on the outsde.  I still have a very very small amount of "start up stiffness" but on most days I am fine, I think it's when I sit too long.  I've become accustomed to being better walking than sitting on a hard chair.  Dr. Gross said some aches after too much activity is quite normal he said my start up stiffness will go away.

I asked Dr. Gross how his cementless surgeries are going, as of Tuesday he had only one failure and it was due to necrosis, not the femoral implant adhesion.  So far so good on cementless.

I asked Dr. Gross on activities and he said water skiing, tubing and mountain biking are all fine, I am fine to do more intensive stretching because I would not dislocate now.  The night before my eval with Dr. Gross I played water volleyball for 3 hours which a year before would have been out of the question.

All in all I was glad that I made the trip, next year I think I'll do an out of town eval.

Chuck

Thats good news Chuck.   Glad to here all is well  8)

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:38:34 AM »
By the way, how do people add the little line at the end that tells when we got our surgeries?

Click on the Profile tab up top and then click on Forum Profile Information, on the left. At the bottom of the page is a section called Signature. That's where you can add information to be displayed at the bottom of all your posts.

The small text under peoples "picture" goes into the Personal Text field on the same page.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:43:01 AM by kwarendorf »

emaxwell

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:50:09 PM »
Congratulations, Chuck :)    I am at 5 weeks now, and am still trying to decide whether to go for my first eval, the 6-week follow-up -- wouldn't quite be able to get there at 6 weeks exactly, but somewhere soon thereafter --  back with Dr. Gross, or whether to do in my own town.  Did you go then too?  I'm kind of imagining a 15-20 minute check-up and talk and then it's over....  It seems like a lot with a full day of flying each way, rental car, hotel, etc.  I'm just curious from others whether this seems worth it ??  I'd love to talk with Dr. Gross, Nancy, and Lee, show off a bit and be jubilant together just for the fun of it.  It just costs time and money to get there from Oregon! 

Quick question, we are allowed to start stretching at 6 weeks, right?  Just not "extremes" like squatting I think I remember reading.

Congrats again,  marilyn

6 week check  is basically xrays and a ROM check. I would not make the trip from regon just for that unless you have other concerns. You can have results sent to Dr Gross and discuss over the phone

obxpelican

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 01:48:53 PM »
For my 6 weeker I did the out of town protocol, it's on his site.

If it were me and I had to fly I would stay home and go @ 1 year.

Glad to hear you are doing well too.

Chuck

Congrats again,  marilyn
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

MarilynRS

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 03:52:30 PM »
Thanks Kwarendorf (I just checked out your culinary website you have in your profile for a moment too - fun!) and Emaxwell for the tips in your responses.  I think I have successfully added my signature.  I appreciate a bit more knowledge about the 6 week follow-up visit too, that it would probably be very brief and a relative blip for all the travel and effort involved - even though I would love to see Dr. Gross and the crew. Any other experiences re: these 6-week followup visits?  Anything I need to know before deciding?
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat