+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: ESKA PURE HIP RESURFACING  (Read 1884 times)

NewTurn

• L-BHR Nov 2009. Soon R
ESKA PURE HIP RESURFACING
« on: August 13, 2009, 05:25:56 PM »
Does anyone out there have the ESKA PURE HIP RESURFACING ONLAY SYSTEM in them?

Their web site seems promising.  Looks more bone conserving that a typical HR, and the golf ball design femoral component appears to have much lower wear than a BHR.  I would like to hear some input from an actual patent, or anyone with some knowledge about this prosthesis.

DonC

Re: ESKA PURE HIP RESURFACING
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:50:49 AM »
I am also very interested in this system.

www.eskaaustralia.com.au/products.html

It appears to have the most bone conservation and the center stem is not so invasive. The 'Spongosia Metal' is the most aggressive bone growth material I've seen. It would seem that the issue of metal particles would be reduced due to the increased lubrication.

Another interesting component to reduce or eliminate the metal particle problem is the 'Tribofit system'.

www.activeimplants.com/

It has enhanced lubrication with a more natural soft, pliable bearing surface.  I would love to see these two companies combine their two products together. Of course, neither product has any proven track record but I believe they are based on improving existing technology and that should yield a higher performance product.

Does anyone know anything about these products????

Thanks!

dw

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 01:32:19 PM »
I dunno - the dimple thing could potentially capture lubrication, but it most journal bearing designs they use a smooth surface and the lubrication film in there is just fine for the application. Another thing - the dimples actually take away bearing surface area as well (which would not come into play with an adequate lubrication film)...

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 05:10:31 PM »
Hi Don

Welcome to Hip Talk.

You certainly have been doing your homework. Where do you live?  I live in Ohio in the USA and am the owner/webmaster of the Surface Hippy Website.  I have found over the last 4 years since I started the website - it is very diffiuclt to find out about any products that are not approved by the FDA in the US.  If the product is not used in the US, there are few websites with information about them for US surgeons and patients.

In fact, it took the US and the FDA years to even approve the BHR.  It was used since 1997 by surgeons in overseas like Dr. De Smet and yet it took our country 9 years to even notice it and finally approve it.  The FDA still has not approved the ASR, Biomet and Wright C+ hip resurfacing devices which many people now have.

So I apologize that there is not more information about this ESKA hip device, but have no way of learning any more about it.  If you should find out more about it, I would appreciate it if you would share the information with me personally   pwalter@surfacehippy.info  or with the group.  I would be very surprised if you could find anyone that has this device in the US.  Again, if you do, I would love to post their story on my website.

I wanted to let you know why there is no other information available or most likely any people with the device on this website.

I personally wanted the most popular and most used hip resurfacing device in my hip and chose  a BHR placed by Dr. De Smet of Belgium that had done over 3000 hip resurfacings.  There is a long and excellent track record for the BHR.  I do hope that many new hip resurfacing devices and mid head devices become available, but it is a very slow process.  The BHMR is being used by several surgeons worldwide and I think a couple have used it in the US, but am not sure about the US doctors.  The FDA trials for it have not started as far as I know.

Good Luck and keep looking into your options.  I would most highly recommend a BHR, Biomet, ASR or Wright C+ hip resurfacing device. There are people on this board that have all of those hip devices.

Pat
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:11:36 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM