+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery Scheduled With Dr. Rector  (Read 1688 times)

jj76751

Surgery Scheduled With Dr. Rector
« on: August 16, 2009, 05:29:27 PM »
Well I went to Dr. Rector August 10th to see if I would be a candidate and my surgery is scheduled for August 26th.  Even though it seems quick I'm pretty excited about it.  Just thought I'd let you all know.  So this weekend I go with my boyfriend to a reunion and we get back sometime Sunday and Monday we drive to Boulder, Tuesday I see Dr. Rector and then Wed. I have my surgery.  I'm hoping to be back home by Friday or Saturday.

Judy :)

CeeJay15

Re: Surgery Scheduled With Dr. Rector
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 01:16:06 PM »
Hi Judy -

I am 4 1/2 weeks post op after my surgery with Dr. Rector. I think you will be very pleased - he is an awesome doctor! Everyone at Boulder Community commented on what a great surgeon he is.

I am walking mostly unaided - I bring my cane for long distances (and it came in handy when I went to the Obama Town Hall meeting this weekend in Grand Junction! I got to sit in the "handicapped" section up front! LOL)

I have progressed to three sets of PT exercises every morning and most afternoons after work I head to the gym for 30 minutes of cardio - stationery biking, elliptical or walking on the treadmill. I've also added some leg machines to that every third day or so. It's amazing how much better I'm getting so quickly. And NO hip pain at all - NONE! Ever since surgery day it's been gone. My surrounding muscles were weakened and that's what I am working on strengthening.

When you see Dr. Rector tell him Carolyn from the Western Slope said hi!

best of luck - let us know how you make out.

cj
Carolyn
Right BHR Dr. Rector July 15, 2009

jj76751

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 11:06:28 PM »
Hi Carolyn:

Just wanted to say thanks for letting me know about your progress.  It's kind of a lot cramming all these things in just over a weeks time but I think it will be worth it.  Right now I'm kind of frustrated because of all the insurance stuff.  My insurance company told Dr. Rector's office I hadn't been covered since May which kind of sent me into a tizzy because I knew it had but we finally got it straightened out.

Just kind of curious - were you really active right up to your surgery date?  How long before you could start exercising on the elliptical?  Are you able to go swimming?  How long before you could go swimming?

I'm glad your recovery has gone so well.  I'm hoping mine will be as successful.  I'm hoping that by week 6 I will be well enough to where I can drive a dump truck again and go hiking with my boyfriend without limping around.

I will definitely tell Dr. Rector you said hello.  I was very impressed with him.

Take Care!

Judy :)

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:55:28 AM »
Hi Judy,

Each doc has his or her own recovery rules and regs. Carolyn will be able to give you a heads up on Dr. Rector's. As to hiking in 6 weeks, i suppose it's possible but don't be disappointed if your still walking a mile or two on flat ground. The recovery process is very long, some experiences detailed here not withstanding.  What is about to happen to your hip, and the surrounding terrain, is gigantic. It's going to take a while to get things, like putting on your socks, back :) Rest assured that it does all come back and without the pain you had before! Be diligent about your recovery and keep focused on the fact that even if you can't hike at 6 weeks you will be able to at 6 months.

Kyle

CeeJay15

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 03:46:58 PM »
Hi Judy -

Dr. Rector told me I could start stationery biking at three weeks - which I did. Started on a very very low resistance for 20 minutes. At four weeks I had my follow up and he told me that I could start on the elliptical. So I've been splitting my cardio time between 10 minutes on the bike (easy) 10 minutes on the elliptical (harder!) and 10 minutes walking on the treadmill (hardest!)

I have a great PT facility here in Grand Junction - they have a "therapy pool" and I started going to that at about 3 1/2 weeks - when my scar was fully healed - you have to be sure there is NO scabs left and everything is nicely closed up. I started by doing my PT exercises in the pool - the water gives nice resistance and holding on to the side and kicking. I haven't really tried swimming yet. Not sure if my leg is quite strong enough yet.

Hiking at 6 weeks? I'm not sure. I'm only at 5 weeks today and I would have to say that I probably wouldn't be ready to tackle a hiking trail by next week.

Are you close to Boulder?

cj
Carolyn

jj76751

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:20:38 PM »
Thanks for the input.  The reason why I asked about the hiking is because that's something my boyfriend loves to do but also because I'm a dump truck driver and I'm going to need to look for a different job since my company is going under.  I figured if I could hike I could walk without limping and get into a dump truck without any problems

No I don't live in Boulder I live in Grand Junction but commute to Aspen and drive a dump truck up there.  You must be talking about St. Mary's Life Center where you do your PT.  I think they're the only ones that have the therapy pool.

Thanks Again.

Judy

CeeJay15

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 12:24:34 PM »
Hi Judy -

Indeed I am talking about St. Mary's Life Center. Dr. Rector will give you a prescription for outpatient PT. You can go anywhere in town, but I chose St. Mary's BECAUSE of the pool and the gym. You can go for free until you are discharged by PT. I am allowed 20 PT visits and I can space them out pretty much to once a month.

In answer to your earlier question, I was as active as possible right up until the surgery. I biked a lot - both road and mountain biking. It got increasingly difficult as the pain got worse, which is why I decided to go ahead with the surgery. I also work out at the gym doing cardio and weight training 4-5 times a week. I believe that the better shape you are going in, the quicker your recovery will be!

cj
Carolyn

MarilynRS

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 08:50:10 PM »
Hi Judy --  just thinking that this is your big day, the 26th.  Yeah!  The best to you,  Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM