+-

Author Topic: Getting Very Nervous!!  (Read 1418 times)

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
Getting Very Nervous!!
« on: August 19, 2009, 01:21:14 PM »
Going for my pre op 28th August and my op on 4th September.

I think I'm going to stay awake, as the surgeon suggested that it would only take him about an hour or so!!!!

I've never had any time in a hospital whatsoever. What sort of clothing would anyone recommend to take in? Hospital have suggested a dressing gown and slippers. I was thinking that some loose fitting tracksuit pants with a zipper might me a good idea.

I'm male, so no funnies re lingerie etc!! ;D.

4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

obxpelican

Re: Getting Very Nervous!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »
The best thing I purchased before heading for my surgery was 4 pair of those sillky type of athletic basketball type shorts.   The silk material aids in pivoting your rear end because it cuts the resistance between your butt and the sheets or your car seat. 

Another thing I would look into if your doctor/hospital is not going to supply one is an ice machine, it aids in keeping down the discomfort and swelling post-op, someone had one for sale on here recently.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

bothdone

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 01:49:42 PM »
Going on your title, I hope your nerves subside.   Having been through it twice I would heartily recommend it as I'm sure lots of other people on here would.

My top recommendation would be a pair of heel-less leather shoes with outdoor soles.  Something like this:

http://www.shoesbymail.co.uk/store/product/51750/1515-56-OCEAN-46/

They are made by Rodhe.

I bought a pair by another manufacturer before my op in 2004 and I'm still using them in the garden today.   I bought a new pair (like the link) in 2008 and they were good.

Both pairs I bought had shaped soles inside and a slight tilt to stop you falling out.  I used them in the hospital and outdoors when I got home.  Saves worrying about laces, velcro or elastic.

In hospital the first time I wore the hospital gowns as it was very hot.   The second time I wore a t-shirt and cotton pyjama shorts.  The shorts were a good option.   I also took a light dressing gown.  Good for the occasional wander about and for lying on the top of your bed.  

Very best wishes.

Ed
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:55:16 PM by bothdone »
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 01:59:52 PM »
Hi Gav

I just wanted to wish you Good Luck with your upcoming surgery.  I used the nylon zip up pants that actually had snaps on the sides - but it was winter.  Anything a bit slippery so you can rotate your butt easily on the bed.  A black plastic bag on the seat of your car makes it easy to rotate on the seat too.

You won't be in the hospital too long to worry about your clothes there.  I was in 2 1/2 days.  Hardly enough time to worry. 

Many of us have gone before you and many were just as nervous.  Think postive and focus more on how great it will be to get active again when you heal.  Be sure to tell the doctors any concerns you have.  If you are worried about getting nauseauted, tell them and they will give you meds. Always voice your concerns. 

I don't know many people that stayed away during their surgeries.  My surgery took 45 minutes and my doctor used a general anasthesia since he feels that makes the body most relaxed.  I don't remember anything.  I liked it that way.  We are all different and some don't mind remembering things.

Stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 07:50:23 PM »
Thanks for all your tips.

NW England in September is not the hottest place on earth!

So it's nylon panties then for ease of movement in bed!! I'll ask the wife what she has!! ;D

I'm booked in the hospital for a 5 night shift, but I'm hoping to be out sooner than that.

I am hoping for a speedy recovery so I can get back to my work!!! ::)

Anymore tips would be greatfully received though.

Gavin

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 07:51:30 PM by Gav »
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

bothdone

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:40:42 PM »
On my second operation I was in hospital for 7 days as the wound was still bleeding.  I had no problem with the extra time.  I felt it was the best place for me.   Like people often post on here, the hope/plan is for these to last so a bit of extra care at the start was fine.
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Recent Posts

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by zippymon213
October 19, 2021, 05:42:06 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by catfriend
October 18, 2021, 06:08:25 PM

Re: Completed the 2021 Boston Marathon by LarryBud
October 18, 2021, 10:43:42 AM

Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by gray horse
October 17, 2021, 04:16:50 PM

Advertisements