+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any info on height/weight of patients and outcomes?  (Read 1485 times)

edrosen

Any info on height/weight of patients and outcomes?
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »
Does anyone know if your height/weight has any effect on whether someone is a good candidate for HR? I have just started looking into HR, saw some of the videos (yikes!) and wondered if one's height/weight/bone size might matter.

Thanks.
Ed
RBHR 12/29/09  Dr. Su
LBHR  12/22/15 Dr. Marwin

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Any info on height/weight of patients and outcomes?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:48:37 PM »
Hi Ed

Welcome to Hip Talk.

Your height or weight really does not have much bearing on whether you are a hip resurfacing candidate.  There have been some rather overweight people that did have hip resurfacing.  Some of the less experienced hip resurfacing surgeons won't want to do overweight people, but most of the really experienced ones will.  Sometimes men that are very muscular give the surgeons a more difficult time in getting thru all those developed muscles, but they do manage.  Sometimes the muscular men also give the surgeons a diffiuclt time in dislocating their leg, but again, they normally manage.

The surgeon will look at your x-ray to determine your bone density to see if you are a hip resurfacing candidate.  Sometimes the more overweight people are actually doing more weight bearing when they walk and that strengthens the bone.

So don't worry unless you are very very overweight. Then you will have to get input from the very expeirnced surgeons.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

John C

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 05:41:17 PM »
From what I have read, larger bone size is really an advantage, and very small bones have shown higher rates of complications.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

edrosen

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 01:26:07 PM »
Hi John/Pat.  I came to the same conclusion re bone size, the bigger the better. Perhaps that's not the case. I am 5'9" and weigh about 175. I am waiting to hear back from Dr. Su - I sent my Xrays this past week. I am sure hoping he feels I am a good candidate; growing real tired of hopping around on one leg and the pain is geting worse.

Thanks for the support.
Ed
RBHR 12/29/09  Dr. Su
LBHR  12/22/15 Dr. Marwin

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM