+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: psoas tendonitis  (Read 3281 times)

Josephine

psoas tendonitis
« on: August 20, 2009, 05:00:15 AM »
I am 9 months post op and have had increasing pain and limited movement in my operated leg. I noticed a few months post op that I had a grinding/snapping feeling at the front of the joint and this has continued and worsened. I reached a point where i could no longer do straight leg raises and have problems lifting my knee in a standing position/walking upstairs.

I have seen my surgeon and physio and they have told me it is psoas tendonitis and the tendon is snapping over the joint. It is mobile because I have weak glute muscles but rest and excercise have not helped. I am now scheduled for a steroid injection into the tendon under ultrasound.

I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience or treatment and how they progressed?

Thanks

Josephine

crowed

Re: psoas tendonitis
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:32:53 PM »
Josephine,
I am 41 years old and had left bhr on 2-17-09.  I am experiencing grinding/snapping as well.  I swim on a regular basis, stairmaster, eliptical, recumbant stationerary bike, and weight lift.  I am very conscious of listening to my body throughout exercise.  At 6 months post op I was expecting to be able to mountain bike and road bike as well as take long walks.  I have modified my workouts eliminating any endurance, much less shorter bike rides.  I think I have a psoas tendon issue as well.  I can golf but pay for it several hours later.  Regardless of what level of activity I have done throughout the day I experience pain when walking.  After walking more than a block I experience shooting pain in my surgical hip at the surgical sight and the pain refers to the side of my lower leg b/w the knee and ankle.  There are times I cannot help but limp.  After attempting to walk several blocks I get a "burning pain" that shoots down my left leg.  This could also be a sciatic issue, but my surgeon has not been helpful at all in diagnosing my situation.  I can lay in bed at night, turn the wrong way, and experience a sharp groin pain that pops my eyes out of their sockets.  Any feedback from other surface hippies would be appreciated.
Crowed

Josephine

Re: psoas tendonitis
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »
Crowed

I am 43 and have tried to resume an active life since the operation. I work as a nurse 25 hrs a week and am on my feet a lot. I have had groin pain since the op on and off but the more active I am the worse it gets. My pain is groin and thigh radiating to knee, never lower than that. I think that if you find it difficult to do straight leg raises when lying on your back then that indicates a psoas problem, likewise if you have trouble raising your knee. I have seen the physio and he is certain that this is the problem and I am not the first person he has seen post hip resurfacing with psoas tendonitis. I have read some research that indicates it is a recognised complication of this operation, though not too common.

I am booked to see the radiologist for an ultrasound and steroid injection this Wednesday. My physio suggests that once the inflammation has settled that this is the time to concerntrate on improving muscle strength, particularly glutes. Whilst inflammation is present it is very difficult to improve on any weakness and this weakness may be a contributing factor to the inflammation.

I have had sciatica and this is not like that - I can also feel the tendon snap across the joint when walking and excercising. I am sorry you are experiencing pain, it is miserable and can feel soul destroying at times when I am sure you feel like you have been through enough. All I can say is I remain positive and hopeful that this can be resolved.

Josephine

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat