+-

Advertisement

Poll

How long did it take for you to walk unassisted?

1-2 weeks
68 (25.9%)
2-4 weeks
95 (36.1%)
4-6 weeks
62 (23.6%)
6-8 weeks
28 (10.6%)
Longer than 8 weeks
10 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Author Topic: Poll - How Long Did It Take You To Walk Unassisted?  (Read 59843 times)

Ginny

Re: Poll - How Long Did It Take You To Walk Unassisted?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 04:40:10 PM »
I must admit that I'm a little discouraged.  I'm 3 weeks post op and still using crutches.  I don't understand it, my doctor insists that I stay on crutches until my 6 week check up...I will do what my doctor says, but I feel that I would be okay.  Do doctors advice vary that much?

Foosball

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
For me it was 6 weeks.  I could have gone to 1 crutch at 3 weeks but chose not to because I didn't want to limp. 

Instead I kept using 2 in order to simulate a normal walking motion.  During week 6 I was hardly putting any pressure on the crutches but still used them when walking outside to keep the proper motion.

I'm almost at 4 months now and hadn't even thought about it for a while.  Don't worry you'll get there.  Soon you'll be looking for a place to store your crutches.

RBHR - Oct 21st, 2009 - Dr. Salypongse

DonC

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 11:29:56 AM »
I'm at 12 weeks. I switched over to a cane at about 6 weeks and I'm just recently began walking short distances unassisted. I do walk with a cane 3 to 4 miles a day. I walk perfectly with a very small amount of weight on the cane.  The muscles need to get stronger so I don't limp when cane free. I played golf for the first time this past weekend.

Don't be discouraged. Surgery like this isn't a 3 week process. I think it's amazing that I can walk as well as I do now. My realistic target of 'normal' is 5 to 6 months.

Don

Debbie

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »
When I asked my doctor about the huge disparity in doctor recommendations and time on crutches and canes, he said that a lot of it depends upon the patients age, bone mass, and physical conditioning before the surgery.  It is better to be safe than sorry and a few extra weeks/months will not matter in the long run.  My home therapist the first few weeks was more conservative than my doctor required of me, so it is best to get very clear instructions from the doctor before leaving the hospital.

SFHip

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 10:28:51 AM »
It really is amazing the different advice people get! Without much consensus, it seems that the profession (doctors and physical therapists) really don't know the answer, which is fine, because in the end, everyone does ok. Maybe over more time there will be more consensus or maybe there's just too much diversity of patient situations for a best practice to emerge. I am on and off a cane after two weeks, which is great, but I have no idea if I should be using the cane more to help or not. In general, I'm just grateful for the procedure and look forward to looking back on all of this wondering why I worried about it at all.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »
Hi SF Hip

There can't be a consensus about how long to use a walking aid since we are not all the same.  Some people have different problems prior to surgery which means they will have a more diffiuclt time.  Each doctor has their own protocol which is tempered to the individual.  How could it be the same for everyone? Not one of us look alike, act alike or think alike - our bodies are all different.  Each surgeon has different surgical skills and each body is different. Not every car is alike - every dog is alike - every person is alike. 

Most doctors want you use use a walking aid until you don't limp.  If you walk unassisted while you are still limping - it can cause damage and slow down your recovery.  That is pretty much the standard answer - if you don't limp, you don't need walking assistance, unless you ahve some special problem.  Some people have had small fractures in their bone or femur neck which is not good at all, but managed to remain non weight bearing and have it heal. There are many reasons for not being completley weight bearing. It is up to your doctor.  Listen to him because he knows your case the best.  Don't judge yourself by others.

2 weeks post op is very early in a recovery. Be careful and cautious.  You don't have good balance after hip surgery. That is the main reason for using a walking aid. Your leg will actually hold the weight, but your muscles are not in control yet.  Not using a walking aid so early could mean you might slip or fall - then have a revision to a THR from cracking your femur neck.  Be careful and cautious for 6 weeks, then remain cautious in your activities until 6 months.  Most healing has taken place in 6 months, but not all healing. It takes a full year to completely heal - that is why most surgoens won't let you run until then. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

JMB

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 01:27:29 PM »
My surgeon puts all his resurf patients on a touch only weight bearing status for six weeks, as he believes this gives the capsule the best chance to heal.  It was somewhat frustrating to be shuffling on a walker for such a long time while reading accounts of others who were walking much earlier, but once I was given weight bearing permission at six weeks, I found that walking was pain free right away, though a little wobbly for a day or two.  It  just needed a few days to discard the cane entirely indoors, though I would carry it with me outside for a few weeks as a way to fend off other pedestrians who might jostle me.
I'm at ten months now, and am thrilled with my pain free, pill free hip.

Hip-Bob

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 06:58:06 AM »
This is a really useful thread. Thanks.  I'm 5th day post-op (RBHR), discharged yesterday, walkingwith a cane only.  Today, I feel I've regressed a little as I'm putting more weight on the cane.  Having read this thread, I may go back to a single crutch, as I definitely had a more flowing walking motion, and concentrate on loosing the limp. 

stephen

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 03:39:17 PM »
I was 6 weeks unassisted and now at 13 my "gimp" is just about gone. Funny thing now is I don't even think I have a prosthetic hip now. It feels so normal.

doris

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 04:36:23 PM »
Hi Stephen,

Don't get discouraged!  I was 7 weeks post-op this Monday - yesterday had my post-op visit with Dr. Brooks and he told me I can go off crutches. I am, however, relyoing on my cane for now as I am limping.  I almost want my crutches back!  :)  From what others have posted, though, the limping at first seems to vbe normal.  Dr. Brooks gave me another exercise to do - to strenghthen the leg which will eventually help the limp disappear.  As annoying as the crutches have been, I do appreciate the doctor being conservative as I don't want to have a femoral neck fracture.  It sure does feel strange, though, to walk on 2 legs again!

Good luck in your recovery!
Doris
RBHR 04/12/10 - Dr. Peter Brooks, Cleveland Clinic

KayakDeb

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 10:00:33 AM »
Since my resurf was still part of the FDA Trials, I obeyed my Dr and used crutches for, um the  first 5 1/2 weeks.  But once I went to the cane - I kept walking off without it - OOps!

BUT:  I only suffered with my bad hip for about 9 months before I got my resurf - that's not much time for muscles to atrophy, and I walked with a cane so I didn't limp so bad.  I think I was in pretty good shape going into the surgery - and that made the recovery easier?

kdono1961

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010, 11:32:37 PM »
I used two crutches for 3 weeks.  Then I switched to one.  I used one crutch for about two weeks. I used it mainly for walking outside.  The progress at times seems slow, however each week I notice small improvements.  These small improvements add up to large gains. I am now 4 months post-op lift weights and walk 2-5 miles each day or ride my bike. Even though I exercise it doesn't mean I do  not  experience soreness. I take 800 motrin every night to  helpwith imflamation. Progress is slow but it is nice to slowly get my life back.  I would love to jog a couple of times per week, but I know my hip is not ready for that.

Kevin
kdono1961

Luann

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2010, 08:47:17 PM »
Hi everyone,
 Yep, six weeks for me on crutches with only 50% weight bearing on HR leg. Do not rush!!! The bone needs to integrate into the prothesis. After 6 weeks I used a cane for about 2 weeks. Now at 10 weeks, I am cruising!!! I was so overwhelmed at my recovery that the other day (while walking perfectly- no limp or pain- after 4 years of being "disabled") I just burst into tears of happines. So far it has been soooo worth it.
 Lovin' life again, Luann
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »
Hi, I was put on crutches the day after surgery, and on 2 sticks the day after that, I was discharged tis way after 4 days. I'm committed to using them until at least my first outpatients physiotherapy appointment which will be 13 days post op, or until my gait is judged to be satisfactory, I have limped for nearly 2 years. Using them at home requires discipline as I can easily get around without them, but of course I'm determined not to have a limp, so I walk up the road for 20 mins twice a day using 2 sticks.

resurface

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2010, 09:18:26 AM »
Ginny

Hi.  Don't be in a rush.  My surgeon goes by full weight bearing after surgery or more appropriately "as tolerated."  Aside from the different protocols from surgeon to surgeon, I stuck with my PTs advice.  I moved from crutches to a cane at around 3 weeks but only after I could tolerate full weight bearing and had developed associated glute and quad strength from PT exercises.  Finally, and I think that this is crucial, I did not move from a cane to unassisted walking until I had virtually no limp in my gait.  The PT rationale is that why develop bad habits which will surely come as your body overcompensates for the surgery.

I am a regimented type of person.  I liked the wait for full weight bearing, wait for no perceptable limp... it gave me something to shoot for as I worked through these early rehab phases.  For me the results are amazing but we are all different, I am now 4 months out, weight lifting 3x a week, no limp at all, cycling upwards of 120 miles a week and climbing Mt. Lemmon in Tucson this coming Sunday.

We all go at a different pace... you'll get where you want.  But in due time... Good luck.

gary2010

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2010, 12:05:25 PM »
By the time I had surgery, my good leg would take my entire body weight all day and everyday, so I'd only stop when the bad one got too tired to be used for balance. The problem therefore is not mobility but correcting the firing order of the muscles

Lopsided

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 09:01:25 AM »
After five weeks I am off crutches and stick. But I do notice that after my evening walk I am stiffer than usual.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

leeann

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 05:49:40 PM »
I'm at 3 weeks post op today - officially using two crutches (Dr. Su's advice is two crutches for 3 weeks) but in the house quite often just walk with one crutch.  For my outside walk though (which today hit 1.8 miles) I do have both crutches with me but barely use the one crutch.  Thursday I go for my first out patient PT evaluation - Monday I go for my 4 week check up with Dr. Su - I expect to be using one crutch or a cane for another few weeks, more info after my Thursday/Monday appointments.

Lee Ann
(8/31 - Dr Su NYC - Right BHR)

gary2010

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 08:07:30 AM »
Crutches 2 days, 2 sticks 3 1/2 weeks, 1 stick 3 weeks, after that only for long walks and hitting every other step. I still take the stick out with me, sometimes put it on the other side to work the left a bit harder.

ReneeP

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 08:24:05 PM »
I was discharged from the hospital full weight bearing on a cane.  I'm 16 days post-op and can walk without the cane for short amounts of time without limping.  The PT said to use it when I need it, and to walk without it for short periods as long as I'm not limping.
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat