+-

Advertisement

Poll

How long did it take for you to walk unassisted?

1-2 weeks
68 (25.8%)
2-4 weeks
96 (36.4%)
4-6 weeks
62 (23.5%)
6-8 weeks
28 (10.6%)
Longer than 8 weeks
10 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 261

Author Topic: Poll - How Long Did It Take You To Walk Unassisted?  (Read 59968 times)

crowejim

Re: Poll - How Long Did It Take You To Walk Unassisted?
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »
I received a BHR  (right side) on February 3rd. I was discharged the next day. I was walking without any assistance on the 4th day and returned to work at 14 days.

Jim

jjmclain

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2011, 08:00:16 AM »
I was not allowed to walk unassisted until my 4 week appt...started walking unassisted that day! Probably could have done it much sooner but followed my surgeon's orders!

Northrum

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 06:18:59 AM »
My surgeon used the anterior approach. I used a walker the day of surgery followed by two days using the cane.  I never used the cane after that!

Krunch

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2011, 01:45:51 PM »
I'm at day 16 post-op.  Crutches were used the first day and a cane for the first week.  Today I take a cane when going outside, but use only as needed.  Inside I'm unassisted.

Craig
"Whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger"
                         Nietzsche
          The philosopher, not the linebacker.

LBHR - 4/1/11 - Dr. Rector

Arrojo

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2012, 04:02:43 PM »
Today!   :)
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Rob6297

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »
Operated on 4/20/12. Was walking unaided on 5/11/12.
Joe
RBHR 4/20/12 Dr. Su and Victoria

stephen1254

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 12:32:51 AM »
Day 14
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

patm

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2013, 10:23:55 PM »
I was required per my surgeon and his protocol to use 2 crutches for 6 weeks with 75% WB. I must admit that I used mostly one crutch around the house, but feel that I was pretty much 75% WB because I was careful about it. At 6 weeks I was allowed and encouraged to go without any AD, or a cane if needed. I find, that at 9 weeks I still have a moderate limp, which is getting better every day. I still use a cane if I am going to be out and about very much. At first I had pain if I limped too much (more in my back), but now, even though I limp, I don't have the pain. I also have a very bad knee in my opposite leg and that also affects my walking a lot - hard to say what I would be like if my knee was good - but it is what it is and I have to work with what I have. I also have plantar fasciitis in my right foot, which affects my walking. The right BHR was the first step in getting this body back in shape.

mmooney42

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2014, 10:10:47 AM »
I am almost 44 and in good shape, other than a bad hip.  I work out of my house, at a desk.  When I finally get the surgery done, I am inticipating I would only be out of work for 2 weeks.  Does that sound reasonable for someone that works out of there house?  Feedback is appreciated.  -Thanks.

Matt
Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Robert Marchand, 4/2/14.  Age 44 at time of surgery.

chuckm

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2014, 10:34:51 AM »
Matt, it's Chuckm again. Just like you I work out of my house. My surgery was just over a year ago. I went in for surgery on a Friday morning at HSS and came home 2PM on Sunday. I was back at my home desk working on Wednesday. Keep in mind you will need to take naps and cut out early but you can begin to be productive within a few days. If you stay in shape right up to the surgery you will much better off. You will be able to move about the house freely on one or two crutches but it's not that bad.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

grapesintx

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »
Hi Matt,
I just had my surgery on Wed. 1/22.  By Monday I was at my desk working for about an hour. The pain was pretty bad on my back side and when I would get up to stand.   By Friday I was able to work for a few hours.  Had to remind myself NOT to try and cross my legs!

Lorie
1/22/14
Dr Gross
RHR Biomet Tri-Spike Magnum 50/44  Dr Gross  1/22/14

China Lady

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 04:53:56 AM »
dear friends, don`t forget, that you have an injured bone. that is totally different from a weak muscle. if you break a leg or arm, you will wear a cast up to 6 weeks!
..... I will find out

Dave Like Festus

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2015, 08:23:57 PM »
I too am a Dr. Peter Brooks patient and was told that I would be on crutches till the 6 week check up.  One item that wasn't mentioned (although I skimmed the replies) was that with the crutches I was allowed to weight bear up to 75% of my body weight. Surprisingly I found out with the bathroom scale that (for me) 140# was a lot of weight! The crutches were indeed somewhat of a inconvenience, but I went confidently with them, usually walking 1 to 2 miles or more most days.

I think the conservative approach was wise and the time with crutches is really small when considered to the years of use you will get from your new hip. I have a very demanding / physical job and I didn't want to screw it up. Definitely feel free to consult your doctor on any concerns! They are there for YOU. 
David
RBHR 8-6-2014, Dr. Peter Brooks

ecchastang

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2015, 12:49:03 PM »
I am about 68 hours after surgery with Dr. Gross, and I took about 10 steps without using the crutches.  I then walked about 100 ft with just one crutch.  It's going to be a while before I will want to go without them completely though.
Apr 8th, 2015 Biomet U/C Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat