+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Longer term pain following resurfacing  (Read 4565 times)

Bowling Ball

Longer term pain following resurfacing
« on: August 20, 2009, 02:31:36 PM »
I had my right hip resurfaced about 6 years ago. Once I had recovered from the operation the hip was essentially free of pain and I had a 90%+ full recovery.  However over the last 18 months or so I have had increasing pain in my hip, manifesting most severley in the knee.  I understand this is referred pain.  My consultant has carried out X-rays, MRI scans, blood tests and finally a bone scan.  I have not heard of the blood test results but all other tests show no objective evidence of any problems. I am at a loss to know ehere to go from here.  I don't particularly want to undego a full hip replacment in the lack of any objective evidence that this would cure the problem.  Anybody else had a similar experience?

maxcyhip

Re: Longer term pain following resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 10:44:11 PM »
I had my right hip resurfaced about 6 years ago. Once I had recovered from the operation the hip was essentially free of pain and I had a 90%+ full recovery.  However over the last 18 months or so I have had increasing pain in my hip, manifesting most severley in the knee.  I understand this is referred pain.  My consultant has carried out X-rays, MRI scans, blood tests and finally a bone scan.  I have not heard of the blood test results but all other tests show no objective evidence of any problems. I am at a loss to know ehere to go from here.  I don't particularly want to undego a full hip replacment in the lack of any objective evidence that this would cure the problem.  Anybody else had a similar experience?

I had a HR by Dr. Paul Beaule in Los Angeles 5 years ago with the conserve plus and its been a nightmare ever since. I did find out today a mars mri may be needed to see if the bone is rescending from the prosthethic stem. I have been in pain from the day i got out of surgery. Anyone know of or used this physician in the past?

maxcyhip

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »

Anyways I have been the same route as you and the mars mri is my last ditch effort. I too do not want to go the THR but may have no other alternative. One thing I do know now is that researching the surgeon whether he is trained under the best and knowing how many he has done and type of approach is nice too know before they are wheeling you into the or room have loaded on dope and unable to say no. By the way Im a Physical Therapist too boot!!! Maxcyhip

fedup

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 04:00:36 AM »
An examination under fluoroscopy may show if it is becoming loose. Have you had nuclear medicine scans to look for areas of inflammation or infection?

kristiiirn

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 09:32:10 PM »
I would really appreciate hearing from anyone that has post op pain limited range of motion 5-6 years out from bilat resurf with Dr. Gross.  And would like to hear what to expect with THR after resurf.  They want to take all of the metal out:-(
Thanks
K

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM