+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Back to work after 4 weeks and have questions  (Read 5432 times)

keithp

Back to work after 4 weeks and have questions
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:26:57 PM »
Hello
I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. Have been walking unassisted after about 10 days post op. I feel really good but am very conscious not to push myself. I walk a great deal during the day and am close to a normal gait.
I called my Dr's office and informed them that I have committed to return to work next week. The Dr's assistant who has been very helpful and knowledgeable says that the blanket statement is 3 months until back to work.
She is aware that I work in the computer industry and sit behind a desk all day. She was very adamant that unless the Dr cleared me I should not go back to work. Unfortunately it is very difficult to get back in to see or even speak to the Dr here in Canada but I really feel up to it.

The assistant said that there is a concern for injury. I pushed her a little on it and asked what type of injury. She said that I could strain a tendon or muscle which would severely inhibit my recovery.

Considering I have been either sitting or walking at home all day should I really be that concerned about returning to a desk job?

My main concern is not breaching the 90 degree angle which is what I will do everything to prevent.

Any advice on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Back to work after 4 weeks and have questions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 09:39:03 PM »
Hi

I am sorry to hear you can't talk to your doctor.  It is such a shame to have such a medical system.

I would never tell you to go against your doctors orders.  I can tell you many people have returned to work at 3 or 4 weeks post op.  Especially when they just do desk work.  It is important to get up and walk every 45 minutes to stretch and get your hip moving, but that is not normally a problem.

It does sound like you have a real problem and I would not know what to say.  I can't imagine having any problems sitting as long as you do get up every hour to stretch.  I was sitting at my computer desk for long hours within weeks of returning from my surgery in Belgium.  Most surgeons let the patient determine when they are ready.

I wish you good luck. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tarhoo2

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:55:45 PM »
I am not a doctor, but have had BHR's on both hips and was very conservative in my re-hab.  I believe my doctor was fairly conservative in his recommendations regarding my re-hab as well.  I went back to work after five weeks.  With all due respect to your provider, unless there are extenuating circumstances, three months to return to a desk job seems extreme.

bothdone

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 04:01:49 AM »
I went back to work after six weeks.  Part of that time period was because I worked in an office in a very rural location and there was no realistic way for me to get there other than by driving.  My insurance cover would not let me drive before six weeks and I was happy to follow that.     

In an office job I would agree that you should be OK after 4 weeks but be careful.    Remember your hip and don't get caught up in the job.    It might be easy to be working on something and bend down to retrieve a piece of paper without thinking or to turn suddenly.   Take care.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

katfisch

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 08:30:18 AM »
I am impressed to hear how well everyone has been doing after 3-4 weeks!  I feel like I am in the slow lane, compared to most of you. Today has been 5 weeks post op for me, and, as instructed by my doctor, I am still using crutches and not allowed to drive.  I see the doctor next week - my 6 week check - at which point I am anticipating I will be released from using crutches.  And, personally, I am wondering how sure footed I will be after being dependent on crutches for 6 weeks.  I am an office nurse - I am mostly on my feet all day - and the days are long, averaging 9-10 hours.  Right now, I find that I might feel good, both mentally and physically, but my energy level is not what it was before the surgery, especially having been off work this long. Going out for groceries one day last week with my husband did wear me out quite a bit.  Have you been out and about since your surgery to know whether you can even tolerate being at work all day energywise? You might want to consider half days at least the first few days, just to see how it goes for you.  Just a thought...
Congratulations on your recovery and good luck to you!

bothdone

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:01:24 AM »
Hi Katfisch

Your post just reminded me of something.   At six months after my first BHR i realised I was just about fully recovered from the op.   It is easy to forget how big an operation it is and how much it takes out of you.  Its a long haul but worth it.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:06:11 AM »
Hi katfisch

Have you been walking a lot during your recovery?  That's always a good way to start to regain your energy back.  I was walking over a mile a day with one crutch by 12 days post op.  I think it would not have been a probem with 2 crutches.  I was told to walk, walk and walk.  At least it helped get me back in shape a bit.  I was 61 when I had my resurfacing and it took me 3 or 4 months to actually get all my strength and energy back.  I was tired for a long time which was the result of the surgery, not the hip resurfacing plus I was in terrible physically shape before my surgery since I was not able to be active at all. I took a lot of naps.

I don't think you should have problems not using the crutches.  Don't you forget them sometimes?  I use to go to the bathroom at night and find I would leave the crutch in the bathroom.  I was able to walk well without the crutch at 3 weeks but kept using it for 4 weeks just to make sure I would be OK.  YOu can also just use one crutch if you are unsure - use it as you would a cane on the opposite site.  You can also consider a cane if you still feel weak.  My doctor, De Smet, told me I had to use a crtuch as long as I was still limpling - once I was not limping, I could stop using the crutch.  Each surgeon has a different approach.

Depending on your age, it may take awhile for your energy level to return.  Please remember that we all heal at our own rate.  Your body controls your recovery more than your mind.  Your mind only keeps you thinking positively and telling you how great it will be when you are healed.

Good Luck.

Pat

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:07:38 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:20:23 AM »
Hi Keith,

I work in the computer world as well. I was ready willing and able to go back to work 4 weeks post op. My biggest concern was not the office, but getting to and from it. I commute via the NYC subway and found that it was OK. Although I didn't need my cane I brought it with me for moral, if not physical, support. I did bring my raised seat cushion so I could continue to observe the 90º rule. Speaking of which, remember you are unlikely to have your raised toilet seat at work. Now I know what those rails in the handicap stall are for :)

Kyle

keithp

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »
Thanks for the response Kyle
It's actually funny that you mentioned the raised toilet seat. I was thinking about how to deal with that just before reading your post. I guess I'll have to learn to use the rails.

Regarding your return to work; did you find it OK once you were back? I live in a somewhat small city in Canada and my wife can easily drive me to work.

Thanks again

BTMachine

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:07:30 PM »
Keith,

For what it is worth I was off for 2 weeks before returning to work. My job has me 75% office and 25% on the manufacturing floor. Although I spent most of my time in the office during recovery. I had to negotiate stairs as well. I traveled to China after 8 weeks. I would not recommend this because the plane ride was not very comfortable. Listen to your body because it speaks volumes!

MB

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 11:10:59 AM »
Yes, everything was OK back at work. I just made sure that every 60-90 minutes I got up and walked around for 5-10 minutes. But I felt fine, if a bit tired at the end of the first few days.
Kyle

PS On a political note, your story about not being able to get in to see your doctor is a cautionary tale for those of us looking down the barrel of Obamacare :)

ladler

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 10:47:56 PM »
I am fortunate that I can work from home and so today, on day 10, I started back.  I still need frequent naps and am not producing up to par.  Is there any way you can nego with your employeer- if you are a valued employee surely you have some pull- to try and do some work from home?  Of course, not all jobs are geared for this type of arrangment, but if you can find a way to make it work- not leave it up to your boss to find the way- walk in there with a strong proposal, a breakdown of what needs to be done in office and what with little extra effort on the organization's part could be managed from home- your boss would be getting better results and you would be safer. Ask for a one week trial run- who knows- you might enlighten the boss and the organization about what better production work from home really produces.  Good luck and be careful.

Tekka

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 04:24:48 AM »
Hi Katfisch,

I returned to work after 10 days, part time to start, this was a little to early, that said I don't feel it did any harm!! As for remembering to be careful...your hip is on your mind 100% and you will be aware of your limitations, it is best to be over cautious and I took the view to take my time.

Good luck

Terry

LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

keithp

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 08:04:31 PM »
Thanks for all of the helpful responses.
I went back to work after my 4th week and it was fine except that I was exhausted toward the end of the day.

On a side note, my Dr. gave me the OK to drive and has removed all precautions including the 90 degree rule. I am quite amazed after only 4 weeks that he has allowed this. I have full confidence in him in that he is supposedly one of the best in Canada and has done upwards of 1000 resurfacings.

I have still been somewhat conservative in that I am not going out of my way to breach 90 degrees although I can bend quite far and there is no discomfort.

Double Hipster

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 03:50:16 AM »
I am sorry to hear your story,in the UK where we have both private and a National Health Service options available to us, we do, I certainly believe get great health care in general (I'm not getting into the politic of waiting time etc). In fact it can take some time to get the Operation I am told, but once you do, you are cared for well.

Case in point, return to work, as other poster have said everybody is different, every job is different and everybodies 'position' is different in the organisatin. Mybe 3 months if your a lumberjack, 1 month if your a desk jockey who can take regular breaks ???

Purely personally, I was working after 7 days, 2 hours a day, on blackberry laptop etc. I will not 'go' back to work for maybe 6 weeks to the office, basically because in this day and age I don't need to. I will work when recouvered.

Some Companies are more concerned with 'Attendance' rather that how you contribute, I would have a word with your Company and ask about flexible working.

Additionally, does your Companies Insurance for Safety at work, allow you back without medical clearance. I work for a Canadian Company and I will have to see the Company Ocupational Health Department before they will let me in the doors, in case I sue them for workplace injury !!!

Anyway, good luck

p.s. Iv'e had two BHR's ....

One careful owner
Right hip a BHR by Mark Bloomfield September 2003
Left hip a Mitch by Dean Michael October 2009
The rest still in original, if tarnished condition !!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat