+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Night-time Urination  (Read 3279 times)

Hippo

Night-time Urination
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:45:07 PM »
This may sound unusual but since my return from the hospital I have been experiencing a frequent (5-6 times per night) need to get up and urinate. My bladder is nearly full each time and I literally need to hurry to the bathroom to get there and go.  I am 17 days post-op with a LBHR and am otherwise doing just great.  My only post-op med (other than oxycodone for pain) is coumadin, which I need to stay on for 4 weeks post-op.  I am not drinking a lot of fluids before bedtime, so I have no idea what is causing the problem.  Before asking my doctor about it I thought I would see if anyone has had a similar experience.  Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

moe

Re: Night-time Urination
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »
I am 6 weeks post op bilat and had a similar experience. Was also on oxy and coumadin. It seemed to subside after about 3 weeks, also got off the oxy at that point, so there may be a connection there. It also may just be a normal reaction to the surgery. Good luck. Moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

dw

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 03:06:03 PM »
how much swelling did you have, and has it gone down? All that fluid has to go somewhere!

Hippo

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 03:32:23 PM »
Thanks so much for your replies: 

Moe - it makes sense that the meds are involved.  It helps to know that someone else also went through this.

DW - coincidentally, I did have some significant swelling on my operative leg, especially my ankle and foot.  The swelling has been gradually decreasing but I never considered the impact of all that fluid.  Hopefully as the selling subsides so will the bathroom trips.

Bruce

ladler

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 10:39:07 PM »
oye- I am starting week two post op and having the same experience.  It is brutal to get up from a dead sleep and stiffly make my way to the bathroom, and yeah- full bladder- and yeah- swelling and same meds as you.  Happily, getting in and out of bed is getting easier each day. Good to know I am not the only nite pee- er out there.

frosty1235

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 03:25:07 PM »
I was plagued by this for the first few weeks post op. it makes it hard on your recovery doesn't it? As often as every hour at first for me. I started taking supplements and got a prostate massage gizmo called pro-state and I don't know if it's co-incidental to time passing since surgery or my countermeasures but I am down to 1-2 times a night now( 5+weeks post op). What kind of anestesia did you all have? I thought it may have had something to do with the spinal I got.

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 07:22:58 AM »
This is what has been bugging me and keeping my wife awake at night.

My operated leg has been very swollen, and has now started to subside. I have been peeing for England!!!

I have been levitating the leg at night, and I think that this encourages the fluid to drain into the bladder to be discharged! On a very regular basis!!! :-[
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

Glen O

• Casa Roble High School - VP Webpage
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:52:40 PM »
My BHR hip is two weeks post op and I've had a very similar experience with peeing multiple times each night. A good night is 2-3 times with many nights 4-5 times. I brought the 'pee bottle' for lack of a medical term, home from the hospital and it has saved me from having to get up and pee on each of those night-time occasions.

I have no idea what kind of drug was used to put me under but they had me on a morphine drip after surgery for a couple days and then Percaset (sp?) pills for pain after they removed the morphine. I have been taking Lovenox everyday as a blood thinner. I have no idea how those drugs might affect my night-time toilet activities.

Hoping it will improve.
Right side BHR Sept. 3, 2009 Dr. Paul Dicesare

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »
In my case I think it might be due to the swelling in my operated leg reducing.

The fluid has to exit somewhere.

I usually sleep for 3 hours or so before the first visit, so while you are flat, perhaps some of the swell fluid wants to come out.
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

sm26

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 10:27:48 AM »
I had a BHR on 9/29/2009.

Each night I've been urinating about 5 to 6 times a night.  It may be starting to get better 5 days later as the swelling in my hip and leg have gone down some.

I wore compression stockings after the operation and that seemed to limit the majority of the swelling to my hip and gut area.  I took those stockings off 2 days after surgery and the swelling migrated down my leg some.
We can rebuild him.  Better than before.  Better, faster, stronger...

Double Hipster

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 03:33:12 AM »
Hi,

This is my second re-surface, my right side is a Birmingham conducted by Mark Bloomfieldand my left a Mitch TRH performed by Dean Michael, 9 days ago. To date the more modern Mitch is proving more 'comfortable' and results on walking and exercise in advance of the Birmingham.

On the subject of this thread I can confirm that SWELLING = PEEING. For five days after the operation I was considering calling the Guiness book of records to claim the world record.

If I push my physio too fast, I swell, I pee ( like a race horse), when I have no swelling, sleep like a baby ....

Good luck everybody, my right hip was done 7 years ago, played golf again after 4 months, handicap on the fall again after 6 .... No rugby or squash though !!

Murray
One careful owner
Right hip a BHR by Mark Bloomfield September 2003
Left hip a Mitch by Dean Michael October 2009
The rest still in original, if tarnished condition !!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear