+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bi-lat with Dr. Tom Vail, 7 months out  (Read 3078 times)

fishinginc

Bi-lat with Dr. Tom Vail, 7 months out
« on: August 27, 2009, 05:04:41 PM »
If anyone needs helpful hints for recovery or is thinking about having a bilateral resurfacing, I am available to talk (or write).  I had a great experience and a very short recovery that I attribute to advance preparation and a lot of physical therapy after.
Christine 

Kay22

Re: Bi-lat with Dr. Tom Vail, 7 months out
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:17:23 AM »
I had my right hip resurfaced in June and am preparing to have my left hip resurfaced in November--4 1/2 months apart.  I have had a lot of physical therapy, mostly to get rid of a limp, which is pretty much gone.  Should I wait longer?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Kay22

Kona1

Re: Bi-lat with Dr. Tom Vail, 7 months out
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 03:36:40 AM »
Hi Kay,  I had a limp after my left  hip was resurfaced in May this year. It wasn't my left hip that hurt but there was  about 1/2" of metal that made the left leg longer than the decrepit right bone on bone joint. Once a day 75mg Arthrotec seemed to restore a reasonable degree of function and I was so happy with my new activities I considered post-poning the second surgery. I still limped though, and I had the impression that the longer I waited the more potential damage to the bone quality and more muscles would shut down since my range of motion was diminishing. My right knee cracked like popcorn (it was embarassing) but after, immediately after, the right hip surgery the cracking ceased and hasn't  returned. Drugs are a dead end of course and as the scheduled time ( August 24th) approached and I went off the meds the pain of the right came on with a vengence and  I couldn't wait to get it done. The second surgery went better than the first although I worried--needlessly-it never helps- and I think the timing of your operations allows for your previously operated hip to heal  sufficently to make the newly done one to heal while still being able  to  get around with one crutch. You can carry things like a cup of coffee and the newspaper.  You'll be fine.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear