+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6+weeks post op - clicking, new pain, and scar tissue care questions  (Read 4241 times)

MarilynRS

Hi -- I wanted to ask about the clicking and clunking.  These are not real sounds, right, but rather sensations?  I have been feeling a sudden kind of movement sensation on my right joints - sort of a quick release or something - hopefully that the joint is not actually "out" of place and then re-seating, but almost feeling like that.  It doesn't hurt, but now that things are metal on metal, how could it?  It happens when shifting weight, or sometimes if my leg turns in a bit, or just because... 

What concerns me is that just the last two days, I have been feeling the old pain down the outside of my thigh all the way to my knee.... just like pre-surgery, BUT not nearly as bad. 

I'm just past the 6-week mark and have had a smooth, pain-free recovery.  What does this pain mean?  I will meet tomorrow for my 6-week PT exam to submit to Dr. Gross.  I'll be asking the PT questions, but really, I feel like all the experience of this group might be more well-informed.  I don't think he has worked with many, if any, surface hippys. 

I have noticed that lots of people in our group here have had and recommended lots of physical therapy.  I think now that I have cleared the 6 weeks, I would like to do some, though I have been walking pretty much daily my 1 mile or so since the second or third week. 

One last question.  In the last week, my incisions have also come to my attention - they are healed fine, but suddenly the scar tissue below is painful.  I think it is because it is so HARD, like a 4" wooden rod or something stuck in my muscles right over the bony side of my hips.  What do people do?  Do I need to start massaging these masses?  Will the scar tissue soften.  I had been leaving them totally alone to allow them to heal well, but now I hope I haven't waited too long.  Any suggestions? 

Thanks and good night for now,  Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 6+weeks post op - clicking, new pain, and scar tissue care questions
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 07:33:51 AM »
Hi Marilyn

I had the clunking right from the begining.  I was told it was due to the muscles being loose around the new hip device.  You can actually feel the cup and cap pulling and pushing apart - at least that is what it felt to me.  It never hurt.  I had it for a long time.  It became less, but even now at over 3 1/2 years I can move my leg while sitting and sometimes feel it.  Some people had the clunking or popping due to liagments moving over the device.  You had a really experinced surgeon, so I would not think anything is wrong.  You just need to give your body time to heal.

My incision itched for years.  I also had it very tight underneath.  Even into 6 months I would walk with no problem, but when I sat down after, it felt like my incision was going to tear apart.  There is a lot of scaring and possible adhesions underneath.  Some people used vitamin E oil and massaged their incisions.  I just let it all work itself out. Some people used professional massage for the scar. 

Again, 6 weeks post op is still very early in your recovery.  Just be patient and give your body time to heal.

Any time you have questions, drop Lee a note or give her a call.  That is what you hired a doctor for - to treat you and answer your questions.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 08:00:25 AM »
Marilyn,

Pain @ 6 weeks is not out of the question, have you done something to push yourself too much lately?   @ 6 weeks post-op if I pushed it too much my hip would tell me, clicking and weird feelings below your scar is not abnormal either.... bring it up to Lee and Dr. Gross.  Your body is doing a lot of healing and will do so for another 6 months to a year, ice it down take ibuprofen if Dr. Gross allows it.... by the way if your implant was out of place and doing really bad most people feel MAJOR pain, like shooting pains. 

You'll get x-rays done @ 6 weeks so you'll know for sure how you are progressing.... I would not worry yet.

Chuck

Hi -- I wanted to ask about the clicking and clunking.  These are not real sounds, right, but rather sensations?  I have been feeling a sudden kind of movement sensation on my right joints - sort of a quick release or something - hopefully that the joint is not actually "out" of place and then re-seating, but almost feeling like that.  It doesn't hurt, but now that things are metal on metal, how could it?  It happens when shifting weight, or sometimes if my leg turns in a bit, or just because... 

What concerns me is that just the last two days, I have been feeling the old pain down the outside of my thigh all the way to my knee.... just like pre-surgery, BUT not nearly as bad. 

I'm just past the 6-week mark and have had a smooth, pain-free recovery.  What does this pain mean?  I will meet tomorrow for my 6-week PT exam to submit to Dr. Gross.  I'll be asking the PT questions, but really, I feel like all the experience of this group might be more well-informed.  I don't think he has worked with many, if any, surface hippys. 

I have noticed that lots of people in our group here have had and recommended lots of physical therapy.  I think now that I have cleared the 6 weeks, I would like to do some, though I have been walking pretty much daily my 1 mile or so since the second or third week. 

One last question.  In the last week, my incisions have also come to my attention - they are healed fine, but suddenly the scar tissue below is painful.  I think it is because it is so HARD, like a 4" wooden rod or something stuck in my muscles right over the bony side of my hips.  What do people do?  Do I need to start massaging these masses?  Will the scar tissue soften.  I had been leaving them totally alone to allow them to heal well, but now I hope I haven't waited too long.  Any suggestions? 

Thanks and good night for now,  Marilyn
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

moe

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 08:31:36 PM »
Marilyn, I am seven weeks post bilat. I started pt almost immediately in the hospital and for six weeks post, I have had no clicking or clunking. If I do too much I will feel it at night. Walking is good but I think you may need to target specific muscles to stabilize and strengthen your hip. The muscles are the glutes, maximus, medius and minimus, PT should be able to help you in this area. Therabands, machines and weights are very helpful. I am now on my own for PT, but I have home equipment. Good luck, moe
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:43:38 PM by moe »
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

JeanM

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 11:42:35 PM »
Hi Marilyn,
I didn't have any clicking or clunking at all in the earlier stages of my recovery.  But, then I finally did experience the clunking at various times over the next 9 months or so.  It always seemed to happen when I achieved a further range of motion.  It seemed like each time I reached a new range of motion with my hip, I had some clunking until the muscles became accustomed to supporting me in the outer limits of that new range of motion.  Then, the clunking would subside again.  That's my theory based on what I experienced.

I didn't massage my scar a whole lot during recovery.  In hindsight, I wish I had.  I've read recent posts about other people massaging to break up the scar tissue and also using products like mederma on their scars.  I think it's a good idea.  I know Dr. Gross isn't a huge proponent of 'scar potions'.  So, use your judgement there and set you expectations appropriately.    But, I think it is a good idea to do some massage to break up the scar tissue underneath.  I'm no expert.  But, I kind of feel like having that hard scar tissue there does hamper the development of new muscle and makes things a bit tighter.  I think breaking it up is a good idea.  If you're afraid to massage it yourself, then find a PT or massage therapist who can work on it and teach you how to do it.

I went to PT in order to help me with some specific strengthening required to correct my walk.  I think it was helpful.  Everyone's situation is different.  I was in pain for a long time before surgery and had developed some specific weaknesses that were affecting my ability to walk correctly.  Not everyone would have that same need.

By the way, I now walk perfectly and I have absolutely no pain.  I can even go for runs!  So, relax and be patient with your body and give it time to heal at it's own pace. 

Jean

Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

Vt waddler

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:18:24 AM »
Congrats on your new hip (s)...We are just about at the same point in the recovery game, I'm a day shy of 6 weeks post bilat myself..I on the other hand have had pain for the last 6 weeks, but is finally improving greatly..I've had pt from day one, in the hospital after surgery, and a six day rehad inpatient stay, then since I live alone, I qualified for at home pt, twice a week for 4 weeks...All this was great, but really just got me up and moving around. "Then" I started outpatient pt last week, night and day compared to my previous pt..I highly suggest you do some outpatient pt, just in my first 2 sessions I've noticed a huge difference of improvement. I feel like I am finally loosening up some with my pt's help..I honestly didn't lose a lot of strength via the surgery (except my gluts(?)-took a beating there (g)) But I believe, with the MIS approach there is an awful lot of muscle stretching and un-natural manipulation(muscle retraction with various torture instruments(G))...I think (and I am a total novice) that pt would do you a world of good.
Beat of luck, chin up, positive attitude means a lot...;^)

MarilynRS

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 05:46:26 AM »
Thanks so much for all the helpful replies.  :)

Yes, Pat, when I think about it, the sensation might be the cup and cap separating a bit and coming back... or just moving in the normal range of joint motion, but slipping a bit "too fast" where the muscles may not quite regulate the movement evenly due to weakness or whatever...

Chuck, I don't think I've pushed myself too much - perhaps I've even been a bit too complacent a few days in getting busy and not walking enough.  Not making that priority time like I was the first weeks....  there's been this thing called needing to work!  LOL  I have noticed in an incidental way, that while sitting was great pre-surgery, it is not so great now.  I've been ruined for all my office tasks!  Ha Ha...  Seriously, I find I feel so much better getting up more often even for a minute or two stroll and stretch.  I can't even sit on the couch to watch a movie without needing to get up and stand now and then.  Definitely different than pre.  But I'm not complaining at all, because I would far prefer to be able to move :)  :)  :) :)  javascript:void(0);

Thanks for the inputs on PT, Moe and VT Waddler.  I think it probably is time to target a some of the specific muscles that were stretched and cut and whatever else.  There have been a few things I've tried now that I'm past the 6 weeks that have shown me I need to get stronger.

And like you, Jean, I was in pain and in bad shape for quite awhile pre-surgery.  I've felt for a long time like I would need and still may need some help re-learning to walk.  I've continued to use 2 canes or sometimes even just walking poles while walking because they seem to help with longer strides, better balance, faster pace, and ultimately a more even walk.  My neuro pathways, I think, need to re-learn what it was to walk before all the contortions and adaptations I had mastered pre-surgery. 

I'm sure I must have matched your gait, VT Waddler -- your name cracks me up!!  (My husband also used to joke that I was "Festus" as I would hobble along pre-surgery on my two canes, too slowly to even wobble any more.)

Just last night, though, I tried a longer distance, maybe 1/4 mile, just carrying the lightweight canes in each hand.  It was funny, almost like a tail for an animal perhaps, but that bit of weight in each arm seemed to add stability.  Maybe it's in my head!  Anyway, I'm going to try weaning myself off the canes now, even if it means smaller steps and a slower pace for my walks.   

Anyway...  the good news is that after that reminder of the pre-surgery pain pattern (it was so wierd, because while not nearly as painful, it mimicked the pattern exactly), which lasted about 3 days, suddenly Day 4 I woke up and it seemed to be gone.  I felt a bit of stiffness in the thigh, but the pain was gone.  I was pretty careful moving all day, but it's OK.  Unfortunately, I could not help but limping from the pain on the day of my PT-eval...  but oh well. 

I am going to start working on massaging the incision, because the PT said it was a good idea, both for the scar tissue formed this far and to prevent further build-up.  And it plain feels uncomfortable to have something so hard right where it is if I can do something to get rid of it.  So I'll try.  We'll see.  It feels unmovable right now, but we'll see :)

Thanks for all the help.  And my guess was right -- I am the first surface hippy my PT has ever worked with, so it is so good to have you all to help and ask questions and encourage...   Hugs to all and goodnight for now,  Marilyn

Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat