+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Loosening  (Read 5086 times)

phillipl

Loosening
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:50:18 PM »
Hi all,

I had a Birmingham Mid Head Resection on the 22/07/09 for AVN of the right hip. All went well following the surgery. However pain has been a constant problem. My walking is also a bit shabby. The post-op xray showed the device was in a correct position and seated well. I have just had an xray for my 3 month checkup and it has found that there is some possible loosening and maybe slippage of the device. There is a 6mm area of radiolucency lateral to the stem of the device. Has anybody on this forum had a similar problem and what was done to address it?

Many Thanks

Phil

BMHR, 22/07/09, Dr English, Brisbane, Australia
Rt BMHR 22/06/09 Dr Hugh English, Brisbane, Australia
Rt COC THR revision 09/09/09 Dr Hugh English, Brisbane, Australia

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Loosening
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »
Hi Phil

I am sorry to hear about your possible problem with you BMHR.  Not many people in this group have had a BMHR that I know of.  They are not available in the US and only a few surgeons I know of overseas are using it.

Was your stem cemented or uncemented? 

I am sorry that I can't give you any advice.  I am not a doctor and don't know much about the BMHR.  I can only say that I hope your bone will heal in the area not attached. I have no idea if that can happen.  I know it takes time for bone to grow into the acetabular cup, but don't know about the stem of the BMHR.

I certainly hope your surgeon will find a solution and hopefully, it won't be a revision to a THR.  Please keep in touch.  We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

phillipl

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:08:42 PM »
Thanks Pat

The stem was uncemented. I have also discovered that AVN can continue after a resurface. As AVN was noted at surgery, it then is feasible that this has continued.

Apparently < 2mm of radiolucency is acceptable, however I feel that 6mm is slightly excessive.

I am seeing my Surgeon tomorrow (02/09/09) and will know more then.

Cheers

Phil

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:13:10 PM »
Hi Phil

Good Luck tomorrow.  I have heard of AVN continuing after a resurfacing.  Not very often, but at some point I read a few stories about that.

Please keep in touch.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

phillipl

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 09:52:49 PM »
Just an update on my BMHR problem.

I had a CT scan of my right hip, which unfortunately shows a complete fracture of the femoral neck. The only way forward is a revision to a total hip.

My surgeon is very surprised and dismayed that this has happened. The BMHR has shown great promise for patients with AVN. He believes my case is the first failure for this new type of prosthesis. It is possible that the AVN has continued and caused this failure.

So surgery is set for 09/09/2009. Hopefully I can now move on and return to normal again.

Cheers

Phil

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 10:04:25 PM »
Hi Phil

I am sorry to hear about your fracture of the femoral neck.  I know we all understand how badly you must feel.  The important thing now is to move on and get your THR.  You need to get out of pain and on with your life.  Nothing is wrong with a MOM THR.  Please keep in touch after your surgery.  We want to know how your surgery went and how you will be progressing.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

phillipl

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »
Will do.

Thanks Pat.

Phil

Tekka

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »
Hey Phil,

I've just been reading your journey mate, I'm really sorry to here the BMHR has not been a success.

I hope your THR goes ok and you get to be pain free.

Good luck

Best wishes

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

phillipl

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 10:22:31 PM »
Thanks Terry,

I am disappointed with the failure, however these things happen. Not many patients have had the BMHR here in Australia. The device was developed to help patients with AVN, but maybe mine was too far advanced. I did originally have an injury to the RT hip. I had subluxed the hip last November, which tore the labrum and ruptured the ligamentum teres.

The blood supply to the femoral head was obviously disrupted, and further surgery for the resurfacing probably added to the damage. My surgeon is very disappointed as he is a pioneer of this type of surgery here in Australia.

We both expect a normal recovery from this and hopefully I have no further problems.

Cheers

Phil

phillipl

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »
Update.

I received a ceramic on ceramic THR last Wednesday. At operation, my surgeon found that the AVN had continued after the previous resurfacing. It does appear that I am the only documented failure of the BMHR so far. Wow a celebrity at last !!

The device had slipped, so he replaced both the cup and stem. It has not been too bad this time. I have minimal pain and a lot of swelling, but each day there is improvement. I am quite tired, but that will improve with rest and a balanced diet. My blood count was low but did not require a transfusion. The only restrictions in the future will be no running or  weightlifting squats. As I am not a runner and I really have never enjoyed squats, it doesn't worry me.

Hopefully I can now look forward to the future, and return to my normal life.

Cheers

Phil

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 05:20:58 PM »
Hi Phil
Glad to hear from you and hear everything went well.  Let's hope you will recover quickly and get on with life.

Please keep in touch and good luck over the next few weeks.  Take it easy and hopefully, things will go well for you this time.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tekka

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 05:43:48 PM »
Hi Phil,

Good to hear your being positive mate, I hope you continue to improve and get back to a pain free life.

Good luck and best wishes.

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

ladler

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:17 PM »
Hi Phil-

I am only just seeing this now and like everyone, I am sorry you had to go thru this, but amazed and strengthened by your personal strength and upbeat approach.

Squats are the pits so no loss there, certainly!

Wishing you a speedy recovery and smooth sailing into the future!  I am today at one month with my resurfacing and feel very fortunate that it is going well for me.

Best.

Lyn

phillipl

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 08:29:53 PM »
Thank you all for your kind wishes.

Cheers

Phil

MarilynRS

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 02:03:26 AM »
 :)  Just hoping your recovery is still going well.  Ceramic on ceramic is supposed to be pretty awesome too  :)   You are an inspiration with your upbeat attitude.  You really seem to look at life with the glass half-full.  I truly wish you the best.  Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

phillipl

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 04:08:07 AM »
Thanks Marilyn.

I'm doing pretty well, pain is only minimal, mainly after sustained walking a distance. I can get about well around the house with 1 stick only, but outside I still use 2 sticks. I've just started going "stickless" indoors and can maintain that for most of the morning.

The swelling has decreased a fair amount, so bending the knee etc. is much easier. I feel less tired than last week, which is a good thing.

These things are sent to you in life, you just have to deal with them. It could be much worse. I must say that without the fantastic support from my wife and family, I would find this much more difficult, if not impossible.

For any of you out there with a similar problem "keep your chin up". it does get better.

Best wishes

Phil

phillipl

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 02:15:25 AM »
Update

Well here we are 2 weeks post op THR. Things improve on a daily basis. I can now walk around the house "stickless", but need it outdoors just for stability. The only discomfort is mainly muscular and the swelling has gone down considerably.

Next week I'm starting some PT, just to free up the muscles around the hip and knee. Also will be doing some hydro-therapy. So all in all I'm very pleased with the progress so far.

It's unfortunate that the resurfacing was unsuccessful, however there is life after THR !

Will keep you all posted over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Phil

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM