+-

Author Topic: Count Down Begins  (Read 2190 times)

jackmac32

Count Down Begins
« on: September 01, 2009, 02:04:36 PM »
Hi,
Been logged on here for close to a year now monitoring messages...what a great site.  In 4 weeks I will become a hippy with Dr Su at my side.  1/3 of me is Scared Sh#tless, 1/3 of me is excited to get on with my life, 1/3 of me is still in denial.  In the words of Tom Petty.....the Waiting is the Hardest Part.  I may Regurgitate some gibberish over the next few weeks....thanks for listening. :o  Jack.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Count Down Begins
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 02:45:20 PM »
Hi Jack

You should feel at ease that you are going to use one of the best hip resurfacing surgeons in the US - Dr. Su  He has a whole lot of very happy patients and you will soon be one.

We can all understand how you feel since we have all been there.  I was nervous since I was flying to a strange country to have my resurfacing.  My Surface Hippys from the Yahoo surfacehippy group had talked with me and helped me - so I felt sure I was doing the right thing.  That was over 3 1/2 years ago.  There are still a lot of Surface Hippies on my website and on the Yahoo Group who will give you support and answer your questions.  It is good to know you are in the company of other happy hip resurfacing patients.

Focus on the positive - you will be out of pain and be active again! That alone is a great feeling.  You will be there soon.

Take it easy and think of all the fun things you are going to be able to do again.  Stay in touch!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

NewTurn

• L-BHR Nov 2009. Soon R
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
Hi Jack,

I have the same thoughts you are having.  I scheduled my HR in about 5 weeks.  In addition, I have thoughts of frustration/anger that the body cannot heal itself, or we do not know how to make it heal itself at this point.  I have broken bones for god sake and completely healed with no issues, why canít the hip do that..   

I also have thoughts that it is not too late to cancel.  After reading so many posts of people with problems, I wonder if I should wait it out until I have more pain or something better comes along, and I realize about the whole window of opportunity thing.  The thing that did it for me was that it was ridiculous for me to feel this pain while carrying my newborn in the car seat; on top of all the other pains and activity restrictions.

I really just want to feel comfortable in my decision and that I am not trading one set of problems for another.  On the other hand I am confident I have chosen a good surgeon.  I decided on Dr. Schmitt at the DMC here in Michigan.  I am close to the hospital and he has the most experience for a Michigan doctor.

P.S.  Thank you Pat for this site.  Very informative..

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:05:52 PM »
With major surgery scheduled for 4-5 weeks from now, I think it would be odd if there was no uncertainty :) The thought of having someone slice you open, having to stay in the hospital, being out of work...the list could go on for ever. I found it helpful to focus on the future. All of the short term issues associated with my surgery were more than mitigated by the fact that I couldn't walk 1/2 a mile without major pain and distances of more than 1/2 a mile were out of the question. I knew things couldn't get worse, only better. If my surgery had restored even 1/2 of my previous mobility I would have been thrilled. So a month's worth of inconvenience seemed a small price to pay.

I can happily report that 6 months out I have full, unfettered use of my left hip :) I doubt there was anything remarkable about my case. In my recovery I have been diligent but not obsessed and now I have my life back :)

Be nervous, but be assured you will have your lives back too :)

Kyle
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 01:07:02 PM by kwarendorf »

ladler

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 12:12:30 AM »
Jack-

two weeks post op here- left resurfacing- I walked half a mile today with just two canes and I have a non union broken left collarbone that is not making any of this any easier (getting second surgery on that in a few weeks).  I could have walked more but I am afraid of overdoing it.

For the past nine months I could not make it to the end of the driveway without crippling pain- and today- just two weeks out and I did half a mile- and I could throw those canes away if my doc gave me the ok. (I am 44, female and only in moderately good physical condition- so no athlete story here- just average jane).

I too was wondering if I was in enough pain to warrant the surgery.  Then I finally decided, what's it gonna take- getting to the wheelchair place??? Our living is compromised and there is a really good and nearly sure bet "cure" for it. 

I was scared shitless up until I was in recovery.  It is a huge step- and all the what ifs are pretty big and hairy.

I hope the days fly by for you and you are soon where I am- enjoying the after effects.  Keep reading here and stay positive.  I promise you- life is really really good on the other side (except for the first week which I ain't gonna lie- hurts like hell- but it's a week- compared to the rest of your life!)

hang in there!

best.  lyn

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:20:32 AM »
My turn tomorrow (Friday)!!!!

Getting very anxious now. Having spinal, and some ga to keep me still. Can't wait until this time next week really.

Will let you know how I get on as soon as I can get access to pc again.

I'm praying for no complications.

Gavin
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:47:16 AM »
Good Luck! Life after is great :)

CeeJay15

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 02:46:10 PM »
Hi Gavin -

I am 7 weeks post op. I walk without a cane. I go to the gym every morning. 20 minutes on the bike, 20 minutes on the elliptical then some weight training.

I am completely amazed - there is no pain. NO pain at all. I am working on straightening out my gait. 10 years of limping due to hip pain takes a while to correct.

Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. You'll see - it will be the best thing you ever did!

cj
Carolyn
Right BHR Dr. Rector July 15, 2009

Gav

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 04:04:55 PM »
Thanks for that.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards

Gavin

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

MarilynRS

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 04:46:58 PM »
Hi Jack, New Turn, and Gav ---  Wishing you both the very, very best.  I so totally understand the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 breakdown you shared.  Exactly!  and frankly, I would guess that someday we may know how to get cartilage to regenerate and joints to heal.  we just need to know how to "turn on" those cells. 

In the meantime...  we do have a wonderful possibility for returning to movement.  I was down to a point of not walking anywhere, not even the one step from my toilet to the bathroom sink, from the hampers near the washer to the washer, anywhere without at least one cane, if not my two I used for any distance such as from the bedroom to the kitchen.  I do not live in a big house!!  My body had locked up in stiffness, to avoid intense pains I suppose.  All movement became ridiculously hard.  The last few times I rode my bike were a comedy hour... me using two canes to stay upright, one person helping lift my foot while another slid the bike horizontally at 10 inches or so under me and then getting it between my legs!!!  yikes, how can this be?

And now I am 7 weeks out, and I have the simple pleasure of walking anywhere I want, all by myself  :)  As for not being able to carry the baby in the carrier, that was me.  Only I waited and figured it would all heal itself in time.... I have yet to get to kick a soccer ball, run around, walk anywhere much with that now 8 year old.  I'm looking forward to that, though I never really kicked a soccer ball in my youth, so this ol' dog will need to learn a few new tricks too.  My others are 11 and 16, and the time missed "playing" has gone by... they just kept getting older as I got worse and worse.  So, Here's to mobility now!

I just have to say too, that the Countdown beforehand seemed so long.  Waiting was hard once I had made the decision, finally.  What has been so strange is how fast the post-op weeks have seemed to fly by!!  I cannot believe I'm already 7 weeks out!  The other side just moves along and the surgery is a memory!  Wow!!

I can walk, walk, walk.  Beaches, paths, sidewalks, streets, school hallways, grocery stores, soccer fields, friends homes.  Anywhere! And when it's time, I want to skip again too!  I remember that that was such a wonderful feeling.  :) 

I'm glad I FINALLY did it.  Marilyn

Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

Gav

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 08:56:42 AM »
Only 5 hours or so to go now.

Was considering staying awake, but think I might ask for them to make me sleep through it!

What's the point of trying to be macho!! :-[

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats