+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 11 Months Post LBHR 5 Weeks Until RBHR YIKES!  (Read 1896 times)

mtnhippy

11 Months Post LBHR 5 Weeks Until RBHR YIKES!
« on: September 02, 2009, 10:39:53 AM »
This has been an incredible year.  I had no idea what I was in for when I had my LBHR so struggled for the first three months.  I’d never had major ortho surgery or injury so was completely taken off guard.  I’m addicted to mountain sports so it was tough.

However, within six months my life was almost back to normal.  I’ll never forget at nine months a friend told me I had to stop using my hip for an excuse, I was rock climbing as well or better than I was pre-surgery!

I’m VERY HAPPY with the results of my LBHR.  I’m almost back to full strength.  My usual workout week includes daily core exercises, one-hour of cardio (elliptical or spin bike) Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, indoor climbing Tuesday night, outdoor climbing Thursday night and Saturday.  Hiking around 8 miles on Friday and again Sunday.  I’m climbing 5.10 indoors and 5.9 on real rock.  My summer highlights include a five pitch 400 foot rock climb and a 19 mile hike last Friday.  This weekend I hope for another big multi-pitch climb.

However, I’m starting to get nervous about my next surgery in five weeks!  I totally trust Dr. Hickman but even with the best surgeons, things can happen!  The horrible “what ifs” have started and I’m questioning whether it’s time.  My right leg is shorter because it’s so far into my pelvis so I have a limp.  That and the pain equal it’s time for surgery.  I can only hope at this time next year I have the same (or tougher) workout schedule!

Thanks everyone for your posts and great examples of pushing through the challenges!

Vickie
LBHR 10/7/2008  Dr. Joshua Hickman
RBHR scheduled for 10/6/2009
LBHR - October 7, 2008 by Dr. Joshua Hickman
RBHR - October 6, 2009 by Dr. Joshua Hickman

bothdone

Re: 11 Months Post LBHR 5 Weeks Until RBHR YIKES!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 04:16:05 PM »
I had my left hip done in May 2004 and then my right in March 2008.     I found the second time things were a bit easier.  I had a better idea what to expect and how to manage my recovery.     

I also found I was less nervous the second time.  I had an attitude of "let's get on with it".    OK, things can go wrong but the percentages are with things going well.

After my left hip was BHR'd I was always conscious that it was a matter of time before I had to have my right one done.  When you've had them both done it is a different sensation.

Best wishes with your pre-op preparation, your op, and your recovery.   From my perspective both BHRs were very much worth having.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

mtnhippy

Re: 11 Months Post LBHR 5 Weeks Until RBHR YIKES!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:50:35 PM »
Thanks Ed!  Truly I have always been conscious I'm not done so have always been hesitant to celebrate.  And you're right I do know what to expect this time and the percentages are on my side.  I just need to work on the "let's get on with it" attitude.  I will!
LBHR - October 7, 2008 by Dr. Joshua Hickman
RBHR - October 6, 2009 by Dr. Joshua Hickman

ladler

!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 08:19:35 PM »
two weeks post op LBHR and I can't belive how much better it gets every single day. So just reminding you of that joy the first time you can get in and out of bed w/o crazy pain- get to the bathroom in the middle of the nite without even really needing the cane- when stairs start to feel like something you can take the way you used to- getting your life back- and even at 2 weeks I am feeling it stronger and stronger every day.

My right hip is scheduled somewhere down the line- not thinking about it today- but when I do I will try and stay focused on all the positives.  You are going to be great- and then it will be done- whoot whoot- and you will be so much better prepared for what to expect and do the second time around.  I bet you are back to climbing in no time.

best of luck to you

lyn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat