+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Just Got Home from Hospital.  (Read 2297 times)

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
Just Got Home from Hospital.
« on: September 07, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »
Had my op on Friday at approx 4PM BST and it lasted about 1 1/2 hours. Had spinal, with sedation!!!!!

Can't remember anything about it, but was lying starving  in recovery ward afterwards, as had to fast as a precaution in case had to have general. Couldn't sleep at all on Friday night as I was so pleased it was done and excited about getting up next day.

Got up and had a shower. Went on walker on Saturday am, graduated to crutches soon afterwards. Navigated stairs soon afterwards!

Nursing staff and physios were so pleased with my progress they discharged me 4 days after the op.

Still very swollen, but can do most things for myself so far!!!

Will keep you posted, but so far so good. ;D
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

Tekka

Re: Just Got Home from Hospital.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »
Hey Gav,

Welcome to the other side mate, things will just get better and better....it's weird, even though you have just had a major operation that bone on bone pain has gone !!

Just take it easy, try not to rush your re-hab, we all get to the same point eventually, some sooner than others.

I am eight months post op and I still see a daily improvement, your going enjoy your new lease of life.

Good luck, keep posting with updates.

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:33:18 AM »
it's weird, even though you have just had a major operation that bone on bone pain has gone !!

It's very strange, but very true :) Hard to imagine you can be 'euphoric' after major surgery. Glad everything went well Gav!

Kyle

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »
Gav

Glad to hear everything went well.  You are an official Surface Hippy.

Take it easy - it only gets better from here.  It takes time, but you will be surprised how good you will feel in a few weeks.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Gav

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 05:27:50 AM »
Thanks Pat

I am now 6 days post op. I am doing ok, but the hip is still very swollen, and I'm struggling to do some of the exercises the physios gave me for now.

However, I managed to go with my wife to my soccer teams stadium, to exchange my seat for Saturdays game. I didn't think I'd be able to make it, but I know I can do now. We have 3 home games in September and I'd figured that I'd have to miss them all. My friend has offered to drive us to the games.

I also had the joy of watching my wife do the shopping at the supermarket as well!!! I normally do the weekly shop!!!  Supervision is the way forward!!

Gavin

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

larry2458

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:19:36 AM »
gav
what exercises did the physio give you.i can't remember being able to do very much at only 6 days out of hospital   

good luck
                                                    larry
lbmh 16th october 2008

Gav

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »
Just some "bed exercises" like lifting your operated leg off the bed or sliding it outwards!

They're nigh on imposible for me at the moment as the leg is still very swollen and feels very heavy.

Went to visit a friend today, wife dropped me off at his house, and I walked back on cutches approx 1/4 mile perhaps.

I'm doing ok during the day, but at night I seem to need a pee every hour or so!!!

Gav

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

ladler

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 01:32:48 PM »
Hey Gav

3 1/2 weeks post op here (female/44/Birmingham left hip resurfacing)and just want to tell you to keep looking towards each day as a giant step in the healing.

I hiked almost 2 miles on a bike path in the state park yesterday- with just one cane that I only sorta needed.  Today I am off to the hot springs to do some water therapy (water is a god send if you can get into it as soon as you get your docs ok).

Every day I am able to do something I could not do the day before- and every day I am more and more certain that this surgery is a miracle.  For the 10 months prior to my surgery I could not make it to the end of the driveway and back.

Hang in there- and yeah- the nite peeing is a trip- and enjoy the gifts each new day presents.

Wishing you all the best!

Lyn

Gav

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
Thanks Lyn

Managed to go to the soccer game today with my daughters. My friend kindly drove us, but we park about 1/2 mile or so from the stadium, and I walked both ways. My team won as well!!!! :)

To be honest, I don't think I'll be on crutches for much longer, as I can walk fairly easily without them around the home. I never really had the arthritis that bad to be fair, and I could probably have soldiered on a while longer, but that wasn't enough for me. I want to get back doing my sport asap.

I also walked another mile tonight to the supermarket as well!!!! :D

Hope you will keep me posted with your recovery achievements.

Gavin

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

Gav

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 03:06:46 PM »
Been to see physio today. Have graduated to one elbow crutch. Have been told I can do as much walking as I want and that I can use the stationary bike. So I have cycled 15km today on a medium resistance.

They have supplied me with 3 rubber bands of varying resistance to put round both ankles to do some exercises with.

Swelling is almost gone, but groin is still a little tender, as is knee. Have been using ibuprofen cream to ease this.

Just going back on bike to do another 5km.

Hopefully I can drive again in a few days time. Incision has healed nicely. I might knock the tablets on the head. Working again tomorrow!

Things are going good now.

Gavin

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat